Help me understand the Redline Shockproof oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not understanding these Redline Shockproof gear lubes. They're very unusual with the comments like "film thickness greater than an SAE 75W250, yet low fluid friction like 75W90".

The "Heavy" version is not for synchro-based manual transmissions because of "extreme slipperiness" but it is for "heavily loaded" or "problematic" trannies/diffs.

I guess I would like help understanding how these fluids work and what (if any) street vehicles would use it.

The lightweight shockproof is used in a cocktail with Motul Gear 300 in Subaru transaxles with great success.

One thing that Dave told me (which has kept me from using these products) is that they ALL (the Shockproof Gear Oils that is, NOT their regular line of gear oils) contain varying amounts of soluble moly.

This makes them a NO GO in any clutch/cone pack type limited slip diff.
31.gif

Lightweight shockproof worked well in my subaru tranny (mixed with Motul Gear 300) for almost 50k, shifted great, very little debris on the magnetic drain plug at the end of the interval.

I'm using Subaru's Extra S now which is another great fluid for the subaru 5mt.

Shockproof gear oils contain a boatload of calcium and the theory is the calcium particles spread out the load over a larger area of the gear tooth.

I don't see the need for them in a daily driver. For drag racing, they're probably an advantage.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Shockproof gear oils contain a boatload of calcium and the theory is the calcium particles spread out the load over a larger area of the gear tooth.

I don't see the need for them in a daily driver. For drag racing, they're probably an advantage.

Mola;

Is that also the theory/principle behind the Chevron Delo ESI gear oils using very high boron content add packs??

Quote:
Is that also the theory/principle behind the Chevron Delo ESI gear oils using very high boron content add packs??

The theory behind the Potassium-Triborate EP/AW package from Oronite, and used in the Chevron gear oils, was to increase load carrying capacity and decrease yellow metal attack.

This reduced the need for the general Sulfur-Phosphorous EP compounds.

Originally Posted By: zex4g63
I didn't know till recently that Amsoil makes some heavy gear oils like this as well.

They do?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
I didn't know till recently that Amsoil makes some heavy gear oils like this as well.

They do?
21.gif

NOT with the same marketing/theories/principals as the RL shockproofs, BUT look up their Severe Gear straight 190 & 250!

I am actually considering mixing some of the 190 with their 'street' SG 75W-110/140 on my next change of my NOISEY 10 bolt!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

They do?
21.gif

NOT with the same marketing/theories/principals as the RL shockproofs, BUT look up their Severe Gear straight 190 & 250!

I am actually considering mixing some of the 190 with their 'street' SG 75W-110/140 on my next change of my NOISEY 10 bolt!
wink.gif

why do u use synthetic oil on that 10 bolt, and why the oil u use have to be so thick ? im running regular dino 80w90 valvoline with ford LSD addictive bottle, 120k miles drive hard still very quiet.

Originally Posted By: CamaroT56
Originally Posted By: dailydriver

They do?
21.gif

wink.gif

why do u use synthetic oil on that 10 bolt, and why the oil u use have to be so thick ? im running regular dino 80w90 valvoline with ford LSD addictive bottle, 120k miles drive hard still very quiet.

It does not have to be so thick, but I am trying to quiet down a LOUD decel whine with the 140 (unsucessfully I might add
frown.gif
).

I have an Eaton cf clutchpack Posi in mine, which yes, is also supposed to run a mineral fluid.

BUT, many others have run synthetic in the same diff, so I 'chanced' giving it a try.
So far the diff seems just fine.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Tremo
The lightweight shockproof is used in a cocktail with Motul Gear 300 in Subaru transaxles with great success.

I was researching this cocktail recently in the Subaru forums, and a lot of people swear by it. I did not come across any complaints about it. I believe Andrewtech Automotive was the originator of this cocktail of Redline Lightweight Shockproof and Gear 300. The cocktail seems to be in two versions, a 3:1 mix and a 1:1 mix. I suppose the 1:1 mix would be better for really cold climates.
I would have liked to have seen a UOA from this mix, but I did not come across any at the Subaru forums

I may need to start looking into different gear lubes for my Impreza transmission. After dumping the factory fill (way overdue) and filling it with Valvoline dino (which many think is closest to what comes in it, myself included), shifting has gotten worse. Sometimes it even drags just putting it into 1st when at a full stop which is ridiculous. 1 -> 2 shifts can get grindy also.

If I can't find a gallon of Extra-S somewhere, Redline and Motul products are next on the list.

I have no idea what was in my transmission when I bought the car at 102k mi. Could have been factory fill. All I know is that when I put in lightweight and superlight (1:1), I don't get a difficult notchy shift on cold starts anymore. Very smooth. Also, I'm able to get into 2nd much easier after redlining 1st. Although, I bled the master clutch (via bleeding brakes) as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back