Type "F" vs. Dexron for power steering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Type "F" ATF is specified for the power steering on my 1992 Volvo 740, which I've been using. I don't suppose Dexron would do any harm in a pinch if I didn't have any Type "F" handy. Does anyone here know, or could guess, why Volvo would have specified Type "F"? All I know about it is that it's supposed to give firmer shifts if used in place of Dexron in an automatic transmission.

Find a Ford dealer and use type F in your Volvo. That's what the design engr. specified. In a pinch, I suppose you could use cooking oil,but blame yourself if you use Dexron.FWIW-Oldtommy

believe it or not, the dexron probably won't hurt anything.

Also, most people when it comes to power steering fluid.. get the stuff on the shelf that says: power steering fluid
without any concern for what it is or what it isn't.

Rarely have I seen any issues with the scrupulous mixing of power steering fluids.

I've been mixing Redline PS with AC Delco p/s via turkey baster in my Van. no issues.

p/s units I don't believe are as picky as say a tranny.

Originally Posted By: EricF
p/s units I don't believe are as picky as say a tranny.
Tell that to Honda.
28.gif

Oldyellr, a small amount of Dexron as a top-up prolly won't hurt a thing, but you are better off using the correct fluid. Type F is still available at most national chains (AZ, AAP, O'Reilly's, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back