XP laptop won't connect to 4G LTE portable hotspot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a VZW MiFi 4510L that does a great job with everything I've connected to it, until now that is. I've tried to connect my old Toshiba Satellite P105-S6024 to it and I'm getting nothing. It happens to be my only XP machine, but I don't know if it's related.

I've always used a USB modem for my wireless connections before, without issue. In fact, the Toshiba still works just fine with a USB modem. As I can't remember the last time I used the built-in WiFi connection, it would be years since I last fired it up. I'm sure the issue is with the Toshiba because when I get a notification that wireless networks are detected, and I open the notification, there are no networks shown. It's the same when I scan for nearby wireless networks, as I get nothing whatsoever and I know that there are several within range.

As computers are not my forte, does anyone have any tips on what I should check? Any settings that I may be overlooking?

Thanks

Thanks, I'll have a look. I don't know why, but I never even thought about checking with MS. DURR...

As an aside, I've got to say that I'm loving the 4G LTE. My data speeds are exceeding the listed performance range, especially the upload numbers. It's blowing the other standards out of the water!

what encryption are you using your xp probably only supports old style WPA or maybe even wep

a driver update could fix this

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
what encryption are you using your xp probably only supports old style WPA or maybe even wep

a driver update could fix this

Hey, nice catch! The MiFi default setting is for WPA2 encryption. I just went through the manual connection menu on the P105 and it only gives a choice between WPA and WEP.

if you want to share you will probably have to downgrade your encryption to WPA tkip/aes (aes is better than tkip)
This usually means you connect at 54mbit max wireless G
no wireless N speeds.

at least from personal experience.. not sure what every piece of hardware supports.

Last edited:
If the version of XP you have is SP3, it supports WPA2/AES. If you don't have SP3, please install it.

Otherwise, if you DO have SP3, but still don't have WPA2/AES support, you need newer drivers for your wireless NIC.

Brand, model, and I can link you to them.

Originally Posted By: Rand
if you want to share you will probably have to downgrade your encryption to WPA tkip/aes (aes is better than tkip)
This usually means you connect at 54mbit max wireless G
no wireless N speeds.

at least from personal experience.. not sure what every piece of hardware supports.

Hmmm...

I'm not too keen on downgrading my encryption. Thinking about it, I need to check if my old 3G USB modem will work with the MiFi. Off hand, I can't think of a reason that it wouldn't. Since I don't go on-line with the XP machine that frequently it wouldn't be a big deal to use the USB modem with it, like I have in the past.

If the 3G modem works with the MiFi then that would be a perfectly acceptable work-around for me. I'll have to fire up the P105 in the morning and see what happens. If it they all get along, my issue may be a non-issue...

Thanks

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
If the version of XP you have is SP3, it supports WPA2/AES. If you don't have SP3, please install it.

Otherwise, if you DO have SP3, but still don't have WPA2/AES support, you need newer drivers for your wireless NIC.

Brand, model, and I can link you to them.

Yep, it's XP with SP3.

For network adapters, Device Manager shows a 1394 Net Adapter and both Intel PRO/100 VE and Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG network connections.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Drivers are here:

Intel 3945 WiFi drivers.

You, sir, are no less than AWESOME!

Have these, as a token of my esteem...
thankyou2.gif

Posted from my Toshiba P105-S6024, via my VZW MiFi portable hotspot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back