Thoughts on spin-on external trans filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I'm about to get this 4l60E on a stand and flip it over to pull the pan, and I'm going to install a drain plug. I also just thought about the possibility of installing an external spin-on trans filter inline with the cooler lines. This is the V8 going into my Volvo btw, so no extremely hard use other than some 'spirited' driving occasionally. Thoughts?

Interesting, I just found it too, lol. I take it these are an effective filter? Rather inexpensive as well.

There are quite a few diesel truck owners who have installed them on their transmissions and power steering pumps with good success... Esp those who use their trucks to tow for a living... The way I see it-->Any extra filtration is adding more life to your investment...

Before the winter months arrive, I was going to flush my P/S system and add the magnefine...

I like it. What about the cooler though. From chatting with a friend thats a BMW Mastertech (and has built quite a number of 500+ whp cars, and 100 mph scooters....) said to plumb the cooler so that it's inline with the stock radiator cooler. Basically, out from the trans ===> aftermarket cooler ===> radiator trans cooler ===> back to transmission. The reason he said - it'll condition' the temp of the fluid, liek everything else, you want the trans to be able to get up to temp as fast as possible, and maintain a happy temperature. In the long run, it's better to help it get up to temp quickly and maintain a reasonable temperature, rather than overcool it and make it get up to temp slower, especially for alot of short-trip driving on a daily driver.

I just did an install on my Astro van. bought a tru-cool cooler and magnefine.
my advice is to have the fluid go thru the stock rad cooler first, then into the magnefine (keeps the cooler cleaner) then into the aux cooler and then back to the tranny.

why have it go back thru the stock rad cooler to be warmed up again after it has gone thru the aux cooler and has been nicely cooled down

the cooler it is going back to the tranny, the better.

for cold weather, the way that the tru-cool units work, it will not cool it more than needed, as explained at the top of this page:

http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=tru-cool-thin

even if you are just a normal daily user, an aux cooler is essential in my opinion.

+1 on stro cruiser comment,the fluid will be as warm as coolant in the radiator cooler,run it thru there first then auxillary cooler last

A Magnefine would be my first choice - consider that instead.
Who knows flow and restriction of somebody's oil filter that is not designed for it?

But why all auto tranys don't have spin on filters stock seems just plain wrong to me.

Pressure and flow ,pressure and flow ,people dont change their filters no mo !
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: -SyN-

Before the winter months arrive, I was going to flush my P/S system and add the magnefine...

I have never understood why people are so obsessed with power steering filtration or flushing it all the time? I have never had a pump go bad even on vehicles that have over 300k on them it is just not a common problem like an automatic transmission.

I change my fluid at no less than 100k with a turkey baster and call it a day...like I said never had a pump go bad and I have owned a lot of vehicles in my 42 years, I race and off road a lot of them. For the price of all these flushes every 30k and add the price of the filter you could just buy a new pump if it was to go bad.

Originally Posted By: disturban
you could just buy a new pump if it was to go bad.

True, I could also post on websites covering royal weddings but where's the fun in that?

A power steering "flush" that most are doing only costs a couple of dollars since there isn't much fluid in the whole system. Most pumps and racks are a lot more than that. Some of them are also major projects requiring many labor hours.

disturban: ROFL!!!! you know nothing about my 7.3L, nor my maintenance habits for it!! So before you judge someone make sure you have all the info... At almost 300K miles this will be my first P/S flush...On the 7.3L it takes about 15min... I tow most of the summer and into the fall...So my P/S is worked hard... I personally don't care if you have never had a problem with yours...I'm not worried about you... You singled my quote out so I'm replying back... I can afford a $25 filter every couple of yrs for a bit of added dependability...

You can't understand why people are obsessed? I can't understand why other people spend time worrying and down playing what others do to their expensive investments to help with dependability... Will a Flush and Filter help? Who in the Bloody #$%^ knows, but it's not going to cost me alot to do it. But I do know one thing-->It #$%@ sure can't hurt!!!

I installed a Canton Racing billet aluminum spin-on filter mount along with a B&M cooler last year on my low mileage 1997 Ranger. Mount uses the same FL1A filter as the engine. Had plenty of room in front of the truck to mount both with no problem. Had trouble with leaks for some time before I got the hose clamps just right but it has been fine since. I bought another mount to put a spin-on on the wife's Mazda 626 but decided because of space issues to just put in a Magnefine. If you have the room for the mount go for it. It adds a bit of fluid capacity that is probably a good thing.

I have to disagree about the Tru-cool and the similarly designed B&M that I installed not cooling too much in cold weather. While the Low Pressure Drop design is supposed to let the fluid warm up faster, my gas mileage went way down when that cooler was installed which I can only attribute to the cooler installation. This fall I plan to disconnect the cooler all together to keep the engine warmer. Chicago winter was just too cold for that 4 banger...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back