puralator (Pure one) vs. napa gold (wix)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purolater isn't bad but, I have noticed those filters bleed down easier after sitting all night which sometimes on certain engines will cause a few seconds of clattering. I have noticed with WIX you don't seem to get that as much. I prefer Wix myself and price really isn't much different at all. Napa has the premium NAPA gold you mentioned and its only 6 bucks compared to 5.88 for the gold Purolater at Pep Boys. Either will probably suit you fine the 4.0L and 5.2L has mentioned are very stout engines. I know I love my 4.0L torquey as [censored].

They're both good filters, use whichever is cheaper/easier to get locally. The P1 does filter a little better though, based on specs posted here in the past. Personally, I use Pureones on my 5.9 (PL14670, same as your 5.2) and my mom's 4.0 (PL30001, which is the long filter).

Originally Posted By: CamaroT56
for my car pure one filter cost 10 dollar, and napa/wix cost $5.99 I go with napa/wix hehe

Where are you shopping for PureOnes???

Today I went to the filter section at Fred Meyers (a large grocery/department store in the Northwest).

PureOnes's were priced at $5.59 and they had a $1 off sale....so its $4.59.

Purolator has a rebate going (www.pureoil.com) of $3 for up to 4 filters.....After the rebate...net price is $1.59....Now thats a deal.....

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
for my car pure one filter cost 10 dollar, and napa/wix cost $5.99 I go with napa/wix hehe

Same thing I was thinking.
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

Today I went to the filter section at Fred Meyers (a large grocery/department store in the Northwest).

PureOnes's were priced at $5.59 and they had a $1 off sale....so its $4.59.

Purolator has a rebate going (www.pureoil.com) of $3 for up to 4 filters.....After the rebate...net price is $1.59....Now thats a deal.....

I call advance auto part yesterday when im coming get some mobil 1, he say 9.99, i knew it was around 6 dollar, i ask him u sure its 9.99 not 6 dollar something, he say its 9.99. so i get the bosh filter.

I've tried both or really all3. There was a difference in the Wix and the Napa Gold in my application. The Napa Gold has its bypass on the inlet vs the dome end of either the P-1 and the Wix. I think the Napa Gold is a better design. The bypass pressure ratings for the P-1 is a bit higher, but either would be a good choice. The Pure One has a higher efficiency rating though. My choice is the Napa Gold.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: walk23
The Napa Gold has its bypass on the inlet vs the dome end of either the P-1 and the Wix.
I thought NAPA Gold was a WIX with different paint on the can? You're saying the NG had a base-end bypass and the WIX had a dome-end? The same part number (minus the 5 for the NG)?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
The Napa Gold has its bypass on the inlet vs the dome end of either the P-1 and the Wix.
I thought NAPA Gold was a WIX with different paint on the can? You're saying the NG had a base-end bypass and the WIX had a dome-end? The same part number (minus the 5 for the NG)?

Yep ... NAPA Gold is a WIX with a different paint job, and the NAPA part number is missing the leading "5".

Per my application (2006 Toyota Matrix XR) the Napa Gold is constructed with the bypass on the inlet whereas the Wix has a dome end bypass valve. I personally like this design more but can't substantiate that it makes any difference.
NG 1394
W 51394

Per my application (2006 Toyota Matrix XR) the Napa Gold is constructed with the bypass on the inlet whereas the Wix has a dome end bypass valve. I personally like this design more but can't substantiate that it makes any difference.
NG 1394
W 51394

That's strange ... Why would WIX change their design of the 51394 just for NAPA Gold 1394?

I'd ask your local napa about there masterpack (shrink wrapped 12 pack). You could end up getting the filter a bit cheaper, plus it wouldn't hurt having that many filters on hand seeing as you have two vehicles that use them.

I don't remember where i had heard it, but supposedly the short wix filters suffer, some what, due to the coil spring taking up so much of the room inside the filter can compared to the leaf-spring design.

I personally use the Mopar MO-090 (P/N: 05281090), i get them at walmarx for ~$5 each. From what i hear there rebadged purolators.

Mopar MO-090 cut open
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1408227

i always run napa gold/wix, always been good for me, the last oil change i did i bought a p1 and am going back to the wix, the p1 causes a horrible knock on start up, never had the issue before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back