Scion XB

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I are buying our first house so money is going to be real tight. I have an 08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited right now but am seriously thinking about selling it and getting a Scion XB. I sat in one and felt it had just as much room as my jeep does. It would lower my car payments by a good amount and I'd also spend less on gas and maintnance costs every month. Anyways, i was wondering, are there any known problems with the 2.4 engine in these? I know toyota had some engines that were known to sludge up real easy, is this one of them?

Good motor and no problems with sludge. Not really great in the MPG department (box on wheels plus gearing)

A very "easy on the oil" engine that we can tell.

I can think of a lot worst vehicles to own. My friend has a salvaged title one with close to 200k miles on it and runs like a top. He carries everything in it.

Very practical simple vehicle IMO.

Bill

A lady I work with has 2008 XB and when I have asked her about gas mileage she said that it will attain 30 if she drives it and about 27-28 if her husband drives it. Not too bad considering it is aerodynamically challenged. Our honda element usually averages in the 24-25 mpg range on the open road. That 2.4L in the XB is a great engine; it is not a sludger. Link to page on XB fuel mileage from real owners

The only negative I can think of about that engine is it seems to have a higher than normal rate of head gasket/head bolt failures. I'm not sure anyone knows the real reason why. I'm also not sure if it's particular to one car line (Camry, xB, etc), or if that goes for the entire 2AZ-FE engine line.

I changed the belts in a friend's 06 last week. I wasn't happy about it. Hard-to-access bolts, tight spaces, and an a/c line right where it shouldn't be are what I noticed. Working on the e46 seems to be a lot easier.

well you weren't kidding about the insurance, I called my agent and they quoted me $300 more a year than what I'm paying on my jeep, but its only $25 more a month, so I'm still saving a pretty good chunk of money over what I'm paying on my jeep right now. I test drove one last night and really liked it. Issue I have now is I was thinking about getting the 5spd but the closest one is 75miles away and I don't wanna say I want one before actually driving one. Seems toyota is hurting pretty bad since the tsunami over in japan and theres a shortage of scions right now.

Another oil related question though, a buddy of mine has an 08 celica S which I'm pretty sure is a different engine, but hes having oil consumption problems to the tune of 1qt. per 1,000miles and hes getting the same response from toyota that a lot of jeep wranglers owners are getting from chrysler...they say its normal. Thats not an issue on these engines is it? I'm just concerned cause I really love my jeep and I don't wanna get rid of it for something that is gonna cause me mechanical headaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back