Gas is gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
A baseball bat, a forklift, a shark, and a lightning storm can all kill you. That doesn't make them all the same, does it?

The fact that all those gas stations are alleged to have the same problem doesn't mean all those companies sell the same stuff. It just means there might be a problem with something they all share. It could be the base fuel, some equipment, bad maintenance, etc. There's no reason to leap from that to the conclusion that all gas is the same.

I think you are overreacting.

Since gas comes into New Haven, how many retailers do you think have a separate supply stream? Is every "named" gas station supposed to have one? Valero, EOM, Mercury, Citgo, Chevron, Shell, independent systems? Who wants to pay for that?

This is a bad product situation, not a problem with the fact that they share a distribution system.

Last edited:
I use most any gasoline, they are Chevron, Mobil, Shell, 76, Sams club, Costco ... The ones I don't buy are Arco (cash only) and Citgo.

Base fuel is produced to an industry standard. That doesn't mean that the finished product is the same. It's no different than the way you'll find a wide variation in packaged motor oil products. Despite the fact that they start from standardized base stocks. It's the proprietary additive packages that make the difference, in both instances.

Originally Posted By: rshunter
Base fuel is produced to an industry standard. That doesn't mean that the finished product is the same. It's no different than the way you'll find a wide variation in packaged motor oil products. Despite the fact that they start from standardized base stocks. It's the proprietary additive packages that make the difference, in both instances.

+1 Excellent point along with the others. You have to realize there is a BIG difference in some of the additive(cleaning) packs from 7-11 to Mobil etc. You can use the cheap(er) stuff but you better run some Techron or Redline SI-1 to clean things up before OC's.

Gas is gas for the most part to me too.

In the last month I have used:

Pioneer
Canadian Tire
Loblaws
7-11
Petro Canada

Funny, the car runs the same on all of them

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Originally Posted By: rshunter

+1 Excellent point along with the others. You have to realize there is a BIG difference in some of the additive(cleaning) packs from 7-11 to Mobil etc. You can use the cheap(er) stuff but you better run some Techron or Redline SI-1 to clean things up before OC's.

+2 Some think oil is oil too.

I try to use the same exact gas station everytime, unless I'm traveling.

I used the same Amoco station for 15 years, then it switched to BP and I used that for another 5 or so before I moved. I use a Chevron now and have been going there for 3 years. I don't shop around, but they seem to have the best deal anyway.

I'm a creature of habit and comfort, so YMMV.

Most all the gasoline around here comes from the same storage tank farm in Milwaukee (area). It's the additives that make the difference. I get the best mileage (a small improvement) with Shell, but I generally buy top tier gas at an area chain Kwik Trip.
A tanker truck stops at several stations but each 'order' is kept separate from the rest.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Gas is gas for the most part to me too.

In the last month I have used:

Pioneer
Canadian Tire
Loblaws
7-11
Petro Canada

Funny, the car runs the same on all of them

Your car will run...its the long term effects that the cheaper fuels cause like deposits due to their low additive content.

Originally Posted By: Unearthed
http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2011/...iewmode=default

That's the end all for me. The same gas is sold at Mobil, 7-11, and Stop and Shop Supermarkets? There goes any worry about what brand station I'm pulling into!

Top tier gas...what a joke.

Top Tier is NOT a joke. Nobody ever disputed that the GAS is all the same because it is...the difference is the additives and Top Tier will keep your car clean. Cheap gas will form deposits in your engine. So, with Top Tier gas in my area costing the same or maybe a nickel more at most - I'm buying it. If you do decide to run cheap gas, you'll have to add fuel cleaners to the tank and that actually drives the price of your cheap gas to more than just buying the gas with the additives.

Yes, gas is gas, the 99.8% of it is (or should be) the same. But all the difference is in the 0.2% additives. Now, if one mixes his/her own additives in, then in theory cheap gas would be OK. Assuming, the base gas in not high sulfur or contaminated with diesel or kerosene. Unfortunately, it happens in the no brand stations.

I'm Lazy, I go to the closest gas station.

I have a Turkey Hill 2 minutes away from my house, Its Top tier rated (sunoco) and always busy (doesnt get "old").

Price is also as good as it gets around here.

My wife uses grocery store points for cheap gas (Giant) and has had no fuel related problems.

Additives? I use MMO in the fuel and the wife uses Regane.

In addition to some gas having more/better detergent package, some brands are more vigilant with quality control on what comes out from the terminal and even lease their own tank space that they control. Brands also vary on how well they police their retailers on tank water testing/cleaning and pump filter changes.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

Top Tier is NOT a joke. Nobody ever disputed that the GAS is all the same because it is...the difference is the additives and Top Tier will keep your car clean. Cheap gas will form deposits in your engine. So, with Top Tier gas in my area costing the same or maybe a nickel more at most - I'm buying it. If you do decide to run cheap gas, you'll have to add fuel cleaners to the tank and that actually drives the price of your cheap gas to more than just buying the gas with the additives.

I use TT. The problem with the "gas is gas" is that people see a tanker truck stop at different stations, so they think your local WaWa gets the same gas as the Shell two blocks up.

They don't realize that there are several compartments in the tanker.

Some tank trucks are able to carry multiple products at once due to compartmentation of the tank into 2,3,4,5,6 or in some rare cases more tank compartments. This allows for an increased number of delivery options. These trucks are commonly used to carry different grades of gasoline to service stations in order to carry all calibration products needed on one trip.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
I try to use the same exact gas station everytime, unless I'm traveling.

I'm a creature of habit and comfort, so YMMV.

I do the exact same thing..I have been using the same Mobil station since 2002 since I moved down here..It is maintained very well and it is one of the cheapest stations around as it competes with the Costco station next door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back