recommend me a torque wrench!

Status
Not open for further replies.
want it in 3/8, 5-100+ lb ft, clicker style and name brand! price budget: 100
what are some good brands?

Last edited:
My 3/8 clicker Craftsman has served me well for many years. I need to check on the max torque settings.
I also have a Snap-on but, way more money than your limit.

Your budget of $100 dollars puts you just under the CDI and Precision Instruments wrenches.

Besides Craftsman, the only name brand, USA made wrench I can think of below $100 is the Danaher made KD/Gearwrench:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TDE...Q5DG9RCBVMQH4WQ

Also, please remember that a 100 lb. ft. wrench will only be good down to about 20 lb. ft., even if the scale goes lower.

Craftsman has served me well in both a 3/8" and a 1/2"...but your requirements are incompatible - you're not going to find too many 3/8" that start at 5 lbft, go up to 100+ lbft and cost under $100...for example, the Brownline looks like a great wrench, but it's a 1/2", and goes from 15 to 150 lbft...not exactly what you said you're looking for...

If you want 100+ lbft, you need a 1/2"

If you want 5 lbft, you need a 3/8"

Pick what's more important to you...or, if you can find Craftsman on sale, you might be able to get both a 3/8" and a 1/2" for close to your budget...that would cover your range...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Your budget of $100 dollars puts you just under the CDI and Precision Instruments wrenches.

Besides Craftsman, the only name brand, USA made wrench I can think of below $100 is the Danaher made KD/Gearwrench:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TDE...Q5DG9RCBVMQH4WQ

Also, please remember that a 100 lb. ft. wrench will only be good down to about 20 lb. ft., even if the scale goes lower.

Agree wholeheartedly except that I would recommend going over your budget by not more than $20 & get a Precision Instruments split-beam 3/8" drive torque wrench. This can be had for $120 at TheToolWarehouse.net & possibly less if you shop around.

A 100ft-lb TW can't provide accuracy at 5ft-lb. You need a 1/4" drive TW for 5ft-lb (60in-lb).

I had a kobalt that was great. Not sure the newer ones are as good. Easy to read/set is key.

I saw one in my local HF store. It did not have a price on it and I forgot to ask them to scan it for me. I have yet to see it on their web site.

- Vikas

hope I am not late, craftsman torque wrenches were just half off the other day, they may still be

Originally Posted By: Fordfan
S&K all the way. USA made, high quality at at good price

Since S&K went bankrupt and out of business in 2010, we can all hope that under the new ownership of Ideal Industries, the S&K tool line can be restored to it's once proud heritage of quality tools.

Early reports indicate they are going to try to maintain U.S. manufacturing in the U.S., with at least one new facility in Illinois.

I love Harbor Freight, without which I won't be able to own so many tools and won't be working on my cars as much.

Surprisingly, HF torque wrench are great bargains and highly accurate. If you don't believe me, do the research or better check the calibration yourself with household contraption(s). You will be pleasantly surprised.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Surprisingly, HF torque wrench are great bargains and highly accurate. If you don't believe me, do the research or better check the calibration yourself with household contraption(s). You will be pleasantly surprised.
- Vikas

If you really research torque wrenches on the web, you will find a dozen thread entries from people that supposedly have worked in calibration labs or related areas that state that they have seen bad wrenches out of the box from nearly all brands.

You also see a lot of praise about the HF torque wrench accuracy in many threads as well as many comments about bad HF wrenches. My guess is that the incidence of bad HF wrenches is much higher than the "better" brands.

As long as you know this ahead of time and use the HF (AND ALL) torque wrenches with the idea that they might go bad, then I suppose they are o.k.. I know of numerous instances where people pull a wrench out of the drawer, assume it is o.k., then proceed to ruin a fastener. Personally, I have an generic Asian (Great Neck) wrench that still holds it own against my workplace Precision Instrument wrenches after 8 years.

Again, be careful using any brand torque wrench.

One has to wonder how many of the complaints are people who don't "warm up" their clicker-style torque wrenches. My wrench instructions say one should activate the clicker multiple times before doing the final measurements to ensure the internal lube is spread around and that the mechanism doesn't stick. The easiest way to do this is to set the toque to half of what you need it and to do a few clicks.

I have the HF wrench because the 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" can be found for $10. My 1/2" in from a auto parts store I worked at 15 years ago and from what I can tell is the same as the HF. Believe me, I paid a bit more than $10 for it. The HF wrench is the same one that Tire Rack sells and IIRC I think they wanted $55 for it.

There are pros and cons for the different style. Compared to most people who go by feel, you'll be better off with anything you choose.

large_Redneck+Torque+Wrench.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back