Boron CLS additive testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

This is just an introduction to a report on boron CLS effects in a 1.5L, NHW11 (2001-03) Prius. It includes a test protocol to measure the engine fuel consumption after making a change in the engine oil lubrication.

The protocol is to start the car and shift into "N" a few seconds after the engine is running on its own. I'm using our 1.5L, NHW11 which shares the same engine as the NHW20 Prius, 2004-09, and AutoEnginuity and OBD scanner to record the data:
warm-up_010.jpg

The key data are: coolant temperature, engine rpm, ignition timing and mass air flow (MAF) and here is the configuration of each run:
  • #2 - 0W-20, Mobil 1, 8k service miles, 2 quarts were drained including filter
  • #3 - 5W-30, Mobil 1, 0 service miles, 2.5 quarts were added
  • #4 - 5W-30, Mobil 1, ~150 service miles
  • #5 - 5W-30, Mobil 1, 0 service miles, added 8 oz additive
  • #6 - 5W-30, Mobile 1, 1k service miles with additive
One unexpected result is two tests starting under 12C changed the ignition timing from 10 to 5 degrees about 660 seconds into the test. In contrast, two tests were the starting temperatures above 20C kept the ignition at 10 degrees. This suggests at colder temperatures the spark is retarded which would increase the exhaust gas temperature because less work is extracted from expansion stroke. But we are interested in the oil additive.

The next charts compare the new oil versus the same oil with the oil additive:
warm-up_020.jpg

There was an offset in the spark reduction to 10 degrees offset due to the 11C difference in starting temperature. Furthermore, as the engine ran, the lower heat loss due to warmer ambient temperature means then engine warmed up a little faster.

Increasing the Y-scale, show nearly identical MAF profiles except at the end where the virgin oil suggests a slightly lower fuel consumption compared to the same oil treated:
warm-up_030.jpg

However, the oil additive instructions report that the additive takes a while to coat the metal surfaces and it suspends gunk and varnish:
Quote:
"If used when you change your oil, simply add with any premium oil. If used between oil changes, add to engine at least 1,000 miles before your next oil change. This will ensure sufficient time for boundary layer formation and bonding. Add directly to crankcase when the engine is warm, then run engine approximately five minutes."

"This treatment will remove sludge and varnish from your engine. When used in engines with over 100,000 miles, change the oil and replace the oil filter after 1,000 miles to eliminate these contaminants from your engine." - additive instructions on side of box
To understand the data, the time line was offset so the first ICE rpm drop starts at the same time reference:
warm-up_040.jpg

The plateau of the ICE coolant occurs when the thermostat opens up allowing the rest of the coolant to flow through the engine block. Once all coolant is at the same temperature, warm-up continues. This turns out to be the best window to get reproducible, fuel consumption rates.

Changing the Y-axis scale, we see the ignition advance change occurs concurrent with the engine rpm reduction:
warm-up_050.jpg

Again, increasing the Y-scale, the MAF lines are all but on top of each other:
warm-up_060.jpg

There is no evidence that treating the oil had an effect during a cold-start, warm-up. This raises a question of whether or not we could detect any difference in oil friction effects.

To test the test, we compared the 0W-20, 8k service miles to the virgin, 5W-30 oil. Changing the time scale to align inflection points, we find a consistent gap between the used and new oil during warm-up:
warm-up_070.jpg

This data set provided ~2,400 samples showing the lower fuel consuming 0W-20 with 8k service miles versus the stock, 5W-30 with 0 service miles.

Mapping the relative ratios we find the 0W-20 has about a 2% reduction in fuel consumption versus new 5W-30:
warm-up_080.jpg

Good Prius friend, David Kelly, found a reference that 0W-20 has about 2% lower internal friction than 5W-30.

The oil additive instructions require 1,000 service miles before a second oil change to remove the varnish and gunk it releases from older engines. At that point, it should have coated the moving parts with a low friction layer. But 1,000 miles exceeds the tank capacity of our NHW11 so I'll have to run gas reference tests before and after each tank. Otherwise, there is a risk of measuring a change in winter-summer gas energy content and not the oil additive effect. Also, I didn't add the oil to a 'hot' engine so I may use the second oil change to add the remaining 8 oz.

The additive requires 1,000 miles before a second oil and filter change to remove the trapped and suspended varnish and gunk. The challenge is I had not stored two tanks, 20 gallons of gasoline, to keep the fuel constant.

Given the variation in ethanol and refinery output, gasoline does not have a constant, heat energy. Worse, this is the time refineries switch from a winter to summer blend and the gas station tanks are just a mix during the transition. So my next best alternative is to measure the change in fuel energy with each tank and use the accumulated offsets to adjust between the pre-treatment and post-treatment engine fuel consumption.

Two warm-up cycles were completed including a drive and cool-down. The series #6 is the last of the first tank and series #7 is the first of the new tank after 10-15 miles to replace the fuel in the gas lines.

The first chart shows the data adjusted so the end of "N" occurs on the right edge:
warm-up_110.jpg

By careful timing, the starting temperatures were identical but the shift from "N" to "D" was not well controlled. However, when the thermostat opens at ~85C, there is a notch and plateau while the rest of the engine coolant keeps the engine at a constant, operating temperature:
warm-up_120.jpg

Close examination shows the thermostat opening is an excellent candidate for a constant temperature state to use for fuel rate measurement:
warm-up_130.jpg

We can see the fuel burn rate plateaus at these point:
warm-up_140.jpg

So using my old eyes:

2.75 gm/sec - 1st tank, MAF rate
2.71 gm/sec - 2nd tank, MAF rate

(2.75 - 2.71) / 2.75 = 1.46% higher energy of second tank gas

I'll have to do the same calculation between the 2nd and 3d tanks . . . in about 450-500 miles or another three weeks. Then I'll have to wait to the end of the 3d tank to do the last oil change and consolidate all of the data.

One good side effect is now I have a much easier protocol to evaluate relative gasoline energy content than the earlier, hill climb tests used two years ago. Unlike the hill climb tests that run the engine at peak power levels, these tests are not affected by relative octane ratings.

Quote:
Sad to say, we had tornadoes cut up the TVA transmission lines around Huntsville and we were without electrical power for 112 hours. The test Prius is also used as our emergency generator (1kW burning 2 gallons/day) and I had to refuel from 'generic' gas stations. I was unable to factor out the different gasoline energy content.

Here is the data in graphical format:
warm-up_150.jpg

Having throughly looked at the data and followed the vendor's recommended instructions, my observations are:
  • oil change particle reduction - there is strong evidence that changing the oil substantially reduces engine fuel consumption, ~2.1 gm/sec MAF.
  • boron CLS - appears to accelerate suspension of particle suspension and a subsequent increased in drag, ~2.25 gm/sec MAF.

I can find no evidence of direct friction reduction of boron CLS (aka., boric acid) without taking extra steps to reduce particle suspension. The boron CLS appears to increase particle suspension and thus engine friction.

One additional observation is how the existing gunk in the engine can so quickly reduce the effect of an oil change. In effect, the 25% carry forward and engine pan material quickly brings the new oil to the same friction level as the old, particle loaded oil.

In the case of engine oil additives, I wanted to know what is going on. Unlike other additives, the science behind boron CLS (aka., boric acid) is backed by Argonne Labs research. It looked to be the first oil additive that due to the chemical action would remain after the first treatment and not get flushed out. But I knew my 2003 Prius, 138k mile Prius, would be a challenge.

Engine oil pans were once easily removed because they used a gasket but the 1.5L Prius oil pan is 'sealed'. To drop the pan, I'll need sealant and tools to remove the old sealant. When I drop the pan, I'll try to capture and quantify the amount of gunk removed. I just wish there were a practical way to make a real gasket instead of having to apply a bead of sealant. Then cleaning the oil pan like I do now with the transaxle, would be more practical.

What really irritates me is how little we know about the oil filters beyond the advertisements. Here is a part that is designed to pass all of the oil and the natural home for a micro-filtration trap. But no micro-filtration trap is going to remove a layer of gunk that I suspect is in my engine.

In my minds eye and soon enough, camera lense, is probably a layer of gunk several millimeters thick and hundreds of square centimeters, the area of the oil pan. It may be that the best practice is to have the oil pan dropped and cleaned either as a result of some threshold from oil testing or 100-150k miles.

This is actually three separate reports stitched together. I was encouraged to share it here if there are any questions or comments.

Bob Wilson

Last edited:
Welcome to BITOG Bob. You are the sort of individual that can add a wealth of scientific information to this forum. We NEED you. I believe I speak for all the members when I say thank you for this detailed report. Over the next few days, I will study it further. Again, WELCOME to BITOG!! --Oldtommy

welcome2.gif

Yes, any scientific studies to blow away any old rumors should be very welcome here.

Thanks for the post.

Thank you for your kind words. I have been documenting these experiments at Ecomodder.com, Yahoo Group Prius_Technical_Stuff and MyHybridCar.com.

I had visited Bob is the Oil Guy many years in the past and I was impressed with the early work, at least the goals and intent. But a year or so later, I came back and . . . the signal-to-noise ratio could have been better.

One of my colleagues at Eccmodder suggested sharing this report and hopefully it will do some good. But I have an unanswered question about boric acid vs gunk.

The literaturre says it forms a chemically bonded, solid lubricant on the friction surfaces. But I have no information about what happens when it forms in an oil with a high ratio of 4 and 6 micron particles. My concern is that it might fix or anchor these smoke-like particles like a diamond mount. This would be bad.

The lubricant studies I've read assume pristine clean surfaces when the dry or high-pressure lubricant is applied to the clean surfaces. There is too little information (that I have found) that disccusses what these do when the liquid lubricant has a substantial, unit-micron, particle load.

Regardless, please be tolerant of my poorr speeling and GGerrhammer. I went into engineering thinking I could escape the Liberal Arts English departments.

Bob Wilson

Last edited:
welcome2.gif

Welcome Bob Wilson -- bwilson4web of PriusChat -- to Bob is the Oil Guy!

A couple of things I can tell you about fuel economy and oil:

Fuel economy of an oil is virtually entirely determined by its high-temperature, high-shear (HTHS) viscosity and the friction modifiers (trinuclear organic molybdenum-sulphide compounds being the best friction modifiers).

(1) HTHS viscosity

xW-20 oils have HTHS viscosity of 2.6.
xW-30 oils have HTHS viscosity of about 3.0 - 3.1 but 5W-30 oils (especially dino ones) usually permanently shear to much lower values. 10W-30 is mostly shear-resistant though.
5W-40 and 10W-40 have HTHS viscosity of about 3.8.
15W-40 has HTHS viscosity of about 4.2.
20W-50 has HTHS viscosity of about 5.0 or higher.

The more the HTHS viscosity, the less the fuel economy. Currently the minimum allowed HTHS viscosity is 2.6. Japanese and US auto manufacturers are pushing API and ILSAC to lower the minimum HTHS viscosity even more so that the fuel economy would be improved even more. They are asking API and ILSAC to approve xW-10 oils with HTHS viscosities far below 2.6.

Why not API and ILSAC is hesitant to lower the minimum allowed HTHS viscosity even more? When the HTHS viscosity is too low, you risk entering the boundary-lubrication regime, where there is no longer an oil film between metal parts and there is direct metal-to-metal contact, with the only protection coming from the microscopic coatings of antiwear, extreme-pressure, and friction-modifier additives -- the best antiwear additive being the unfortunately catalyst-poisoning ZDDP and the best extreme-pressure and friction-modifier additive being organic moly compounds.

The oil-film breakdown -- minimum oil-film thickness (MOFT) becoming zero -- happens at low RPMs (slower the speed of the metal part, the less force applied by the oil film) and/or high torque (more force applied on the oil film by the metal part). This is a more likely scenario in diesel engines because they are capable of producing a lot of torque at low RPMs. This is the reason why diesel engines use higher HTHS viscosities (such as 15W-40 and 5W-40 grades) and the gasoline engines are usually OK with smaller HTHS viscosities (xW-30 or xW-20) grades. (The force applied by the oil film on the metal part increases with the HTHS viscosity.)

(2) Friction modifiers

Other than the HTHS viscosity, the only other thing that affects fuel economy is the friction modifiers. The best friction modifier to date is the molybdenum-sulphide compounds. Boron compounds are also used. Since molybdenum disulphide is graphite-like and not soluble in oil, organic molybdenum-sulphide compounds are used. The recently invented (by Infineum of Exxon - Mobil and Shell) trinuclear (three Mo atoms in a molecule) are the best. You would need about 200 ppm trinuclear moly to see the full benefit (around 2% gain in fuel economy). Other molybdenum compounds would require higher concentrations for similar benefits.

In summary, if you want the best fuel economy, go with 0W-20. A dino (conventional) 5W-30 would permanently shear to similar HTHS viscosities as a synthetic 0W-20; so, you should see similar wear benefits. If you don't want to compromise wear, you might want to use 10W-30, but that might not be necessary. Some people (like myself) use even thicker grades but it's usually for older engines and for newer engines xW-30 or xW-20 is probably fine for gentle driving. As far as moly friction modifiers is concerned, Toyota oil is said to have as high as a monstrous 500 - 1000 ppm level of moly.

So, the long story short, I doubt you could beat the Toyota 0W-20 oil in fuel economy with any other kind of oil or additives.

Originally Posted By: bwilson4web
Thank you for your kind words. I have been documenting these experiments at Ecomodder.com, Yahoo Group Prius_Technical_Stuff and MyHybridCar.com.

I had visited Bob is the Oil Guy many years in the past and I was impressed with the early work, at least the goals and intent. But a year or so later, I came back and . . . the signal-to-noise ratio could have been better.

One of my colleagues at Eccmodder suggested sharing this report and hopefully it will do some good. But I have an unanswered question about boric acid vs gunk.

The literaturre says it forms a chemically bonded, solid lubricant on the friction surfaces. But I have no information about what happens when it forms in an oil with a high ratio of 4 and 6 micron particles. My concern is that it might fix or anchor these smoke-like particles like a diamond mount. This would be bad.

The lubricant studies I've read assume pristine clean surfaces when the dry or high-pressure lubricant is applied to the clean surfaces. There is too little information (that I have found) that disccusses what these do when the liquid lubricant has a substantial, unit-micron, particle load.

Regardless, please be tolerant of my poorr speeling and GGerrhammer. I went into engineering thinking I could escape the Liberal Arts English departments.

Bob Wilson

I hope you've found my previous post useful.

Regarding particle suspension, I doubt that's the reason why you're seeing lower fuel economy. In gasoline engines usually the viscosity of oil (both the kinematic viscosity and HTHS viscosity) decreases for used oil, due to permanent shear.

I also wouldn't worry too much about dirt bounding into protective films of phosphorus (ZDDP), boron, or moly on metal parts, as the bounding happens mostly through a gradual rubbing process and the dirt particles would break down into smaller particles and bound with other atoms in order to be able to find their way into the film.

Since you have a high-mileage engine, I am guessing that the effect you're seeing is due to viscosity reduction for used oil and increased oil consumption as a result (thinner oil is consumed more). More oil consumption would decrease the combustion efficiency and fuel economy.

If oil consumption is a problem for you, I would recommend not to worry too much about the fuel economy and switch to at least 10W-30 or higher grades to get the best remaining kilomiles out of your engine. In fact, you might even want to try 5W-40 (such as Rotella T6), even if it's going to decrease your fuel economy by a few percent. But you may get many more hundreds of thousand miles out of your engine.

I appreciate the comment and had been running 0W20 before starting this latest test but I've also got a cache of 88C thermostats. Rightt now, my thinking is:

• perform passive and electrostatic - pan based fine particle trap tests using loose weave fiberglass and carbon fiber layered, experimental pan liners. I want to evaluate the relative merits of passive and active capture of 4-6 micron particle traps.
  • drop the ICE oil pan, measure the gunk layer, and clean every exposed, bottom surface. Measure the amount and send a sample for analysis.
  • affix an effective pan based, micro filter
  • replace the 82C with 88C thermostat
  • install pan with gasket, cure, and fill with oil
  • semi-log scale, particle analysis - 1k, 2k, 5k, 10k, 20k, 50k
  • concurrent, thermostat plateau, MAF fuel consumption tests

I'm really interested in trying to minimize the unit micro particle loads and the +5C thermostat will move the 5W-30 into xW-20 viscosity range but at a lower cost per quart.

Sound like a plan?

Bob Wilson

ps. Let's let PriusChat find their own path to enlightenment.

I appreciate the comment and had been running 0W20 before starting this latest test but I've also got a cache of 88C thermostats. Rightt now, my thinking is:

• perform passive and electrostatic - pan based fine particle trap tests using loose weave fiberglass and carbon fiber layered, experimental pan liners. I want to evaluate the relative merits of passive and active capture of 4-6 micron particle traps.
  • drop the ICE oil pan, measure the gunk layer, and clean every exposed, bottom surface. Measure the amount and send a sample for analysis.
  • affix an effective pan based, micro filter
  • replace the 82C with 88C thermostat
  • install pan with gasket, cure, and fill with oil
  • semi-log scale, particle analysis - 1k, 2k, 5k, 10k, 20k, 50k
  • concurrent, thermostat plateau, MAF fuel consumption tests

I'm really interested in trying to minimize the unit micro particle loads and the +5C thermostat will move the 5W-30 into xW-20 viscosity range but at a lower cost per quart.

Sound like a plan?

Bob Wilson

ps. Let's let PriusChat find their own path to enlightenment.

Wow, that sounds like a big real scientific experiment!

At one point I was using a Purolator PureOne filter (apparently highest claimed efficiency) but I was worried about filter blockage due to increased filtering efficiency and switched back to Toyota 90915-YZZF2.

Regarding gunk and sludge, many people on this forum love Auto Rx, but I am not into putting such stuff into my engine.

I personally wouldn't increase the normal operating temperature of the engine. I would worry about the life of the rubber parts and I am also not sure if the increased thermal expansion could be good for your engine. Not to mention decreased oil life, decreased bearing life, etc., etc...

Hi,

Sorry, I can't upload the oil test results but you can see them here:
warm-up_160.jpg

I use R&G Labs out of Tampa Florida. For this series, I had them test the virgin, 5W-30, from the same box. All oil changes added 3 quarts and included a fresh oil filter.

Bob Wilson

Last edited:
Lots to digest here (buuuurp!) but thank you for a hearty meal!

Fuel quality/consistently has always been the stumbling block to accurate fuel economy measurements for those of us outside a lab and calibrated test fuel.

I was excited to see the differences in fuel energy charted.

Likewise I was interested to see how fresh oil reduced friction but that it increased pretty quickly. This adds some weight to my instinct toward improved filtration into the single digit micron range.

My initial question would be how those tiny changes in MAF readings translate to actual fuel consumption?

Brian,we can really use more content like this, so I hope you keep it up.

Hi Jim,
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
. . .
My initial question would be how those tiny changes in MAF readings translate to actual fuel consumption?

Unit fuel percentage changes are difficult to detect in ordinary driving. One unexpected stop or a lucky green light can easily change the results more than fuel energy changes but over a long period of time, it adds up. Unfortunately, climate and even the fuel summer/winter blend has an effect. So the challenge is how to measure small changes in a 'noisy' environment.

Rather than change the subject, I'll start a fresh thread about measuring fuel quality so we can go into more detail. Perhaps your friend Bryan will also join us.

Bob Wilson

Last edited:
Wow great research and dedication. Friction, Oil additives, metal conditioners all have been around for some time and some work and some don't, some harm the engines others not, but research and back up data such as this is valuable to enthusiasts as we are.

Last year did some personal research on what was on that market and differences between all the products and the differences between them. If I can find where I have filed it I will post it here.

Out of curiosity the product that interested me most was a Ukrainian product called XADO which is relevant to this discussion with regards to particle suspensions in the oil.

Their main website is limited in information, the most informative site though a little dated in layout seems to be their UK distributor see http://www.xado.co.uk

Technical data can be found on http://www.xado.co.uk/xado_uk_test_reports.htm

Not too sure this is the right place to post this, but bwilson4web's post was impressive enough for me to revive the thread with alternative technology.

Volvman

Bob, regarding normal operating temperature, I don't think it will help you to replace the 82 C thermostat with 88 C to get better MPG but it will do a lot of harm to your engine.

I know you are thinking about Carnot engine, where the efficiency increases with the temperature of the hot bath, but in an Otto engine, the efficiency is entirely determined by the compression ratio.

In an Atkinson engine, in addition the compression ratio, the ratio of the combustion temperature to the precombustion temperature does enter into the equation for the efficiency. But, by raising the normal operating temperature, you're increasing the precombustion temperature more than the combustion temperature and the ratio is actually decreasing and the efficiency is getting worse. Also, EGR limits the combustion temperature to reduce pinging/knocking and NO_x emissions; so, the attempts to raise the combustion temperature are futile.

Regarding friction modifiers, see this great recent presentation. The discussion of the presentation can be found at this thread.

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
what kind of moly is a trinuclear etc.organic moly? and in what products?

It's an organic (oil-soluble) molybdenum - sulfur compound with three Mo atoms in a double-tetragonal-cell (DTC) cluster made by Infineum, which is a joint venture of Exxon-Mobil and Shell. So, you would expect to possibly find it in Mobil, Shell, Pennzoil, Quaker State, etc. Of course, Infineum also sells its additive packages to oil blenders worldwide.

Mobil Delvac 1300 Super specifically says in its datasheet that it has it:

"Trimer additive technology is a patented additive technology that imparts outstanding wear performance, effective oxidation resistance, and improved frictional properties while contributing little to the overall ash content enabling Mobil Delvac 1300 Super to deliver performance beyond the boundaries of industry requirements of API CJ-4." (From Mobil Delvac 1300 Super datasheet.)

i spook with dave at red line they use organic moly in their oils along with sulfer. i would imagine they use the moly trimer too...dave didn't know.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
i spook with dave at red line they use organic moly in their oils along with sulfer. i would imagine they use the moly trimer too...dave didn't know.

All moly compounds used in oil are organic -- which means oil-soluble -- except aftermarket compounds like LubroMoly, which are raw molydenum disulphide (MoS_2) and not oil-soluble; so, they are in suspension at best.

It's a good thing that their organic moly contains sulfur because otherwise it's useless.

But this doesn't necessarily mean that it's trinuclear (trimer) moly. Trinuclear moly is about eight-year-old and it's patented by Infineum/Exxon-Mobil. You would have to check whether they buy their friction modifier from Infineum.

The other commercially available organic moly compounds are either mononuclear and dinuclear and they are not nearly as effective as the trinuclear organic moly. But perhaps in higher concentrations, mononuclear and dinuclear organic moly compounds can become almost as effective as trinuclear moly, which already becomes maximally effective with 50 - 200 ppm Mo levels.

Perhaps your friend Bryan will also join us.

Bob Wilson

Ha! Sorry about that! Musta been thinking about the Beach Boys."

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Bob, regarding normal operating temperature, I don't think it will help you to replace the 82 C thermostat with 88 C to get better MPG but it will do a lot of harm to your engine.

I know you are thinking about Carnot engine, . . .

Not really, it has to do with the control laws of the Prius (See NHW11 Prius Temperature Hack.) The short version is:

• 70C - until the engine reaches 70C, the auto-stop does not work for the NHW11. This was relaxed for the NHW20 and ZVW30 model Prius but only when stopped. During this warm-up time, the engine has to run.
  • Stages S1-S4 - documented by Ken@Japan, these are various modes that allow the Prius to run with the engine off. We can not get into S4, full hybrid mode, until the temperature reaches 70C.
  • 60C - once the NHW11 engine cools to 60C, it has to run to bring the temperature back to 70C.
  • 95C - triggers the radiator fans to come on briefly. Due to thermal lag, once the temperature drops 1C, the fans go off but the coolant reduces the block temperature 5C. The engine will cycle 90-95C with brief running of the fans to bring the temperature down.
  • radiator inlet blocks - very popular in the Prius community in the winter; there is a Japanese after-market variable inlet block and; some of us have ... ideas.

But my interest in the 88C thermostat is based upon temperature effects on oil viscosity:
pri_T_cold_30.jpg

There are two grades of oil recommended for the Prius engine:
  • 5W-30 - 1.5L, NHW11/NHW20
  • 0W-20 - 1.8L, ZVW30

You'll note that my oil last winter was 0W-20 which is also a little more pricier than the 5W-30. My plan is to use the 88C thermostat to increase the block and oil temperature +5C so the 5W-30 has viscosity properties of the 0W-20. Some of our Japanese Prius friends use them to improve their mileage.

Bob Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back