Stihl bg55 just fed up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had it. I own two bg 55 stihls. One is 11 years old and starts and runs perfectly. The other is 3 three years old and has never run right nor started right.

I have pulled the cord till Im give out. Im sick and have cussed. Im fed up with it.

A bit of history. I bought it new because I had good luck with my old one. It never started right and the dealer adjusted it. Worked for a while and went bad again. Took it back to the dealer and they replaced the carb. Worked for a while again an then would not start. I took it back and they told me it was because the old people (my parents) could not pull it hard enough.

I went off! I had the god [censored] thing all summer and they had mine because it would start easily and work. I blew a fuse!!!!!!
They just shrugged it off. Now, the dang thing wong start at all.

I have never in my life bought a new item so screwed up. What the heck is wrong with this thing?

Probably flooding or choking it out. The old carbs are different then the new ones. Also the old carbs had bigger passages and can tolerate 10% ethanol gas when it goes bad. The new ones have a lot smaller passages inside to meet strict EPA requirements, and if the ethanol gas goes bad, it plugs up the carb.

Try this though:

Prime 3 times, Pull ones or twice on choke, turn the choke off regardless if it starts to fire or not, and it should start on the third or fourth pull. That's the way we start every BG55

i just got one for an early anniversary gift and it works good so far stihls are very easy to flood i use the above method and it works great

Originally Posted By: mechjames
Probably flooding or choking it out. The old carbs are different then the new ones. Also the old carbs had bigger passages and can tolerate 10% ethanol gas when it goes bad. The new ones have a lot smaller passages inside to meet strict EPA requirements, and if the ethanol gas goes bad, it plugs up the carb.

Try this though:

Prime 3 times, Pull ones or twice on choke, turn the choke off regardless if it starts to fire or not, and it should start on the third or fourth pull. That's the way we start every BG55

I already tried that. Thank you so much for your help. I hate this god [censored] thing. Its drivin me over the edge. Its brand new and wont run and the dealer just blows it off.

I am ready to kill somebody. Im kidding of course but Im going to rip some [censored].

If you can get the carb replaced or cleaned out (taken apart and cleaned out) you might try running that ethanol free gas/oil mix that stihl has... that should prevent any more ethanol headaches.

The carb should be a pretty common Zama C1Q carb...usually they are not so troublesome.

Any ethanol in the gas you are using? Seems like your other one is doing fine on likely the same fuel, but it's worth asking.

Also, stupid question, but there's definitely no damage to the recoil assembly? The usual cause of recoil failures is having the cord yanked on 10x more than is typical...it's a possible secondary problem caused by the hard starting.

And, has the flywheel been checked for a sheared key?

[censored] dude! Chill the [censored] out! If you're that [censored], throw it in the dumpster, and go buy a Homelite!

My neighbor has had trouble with his stihl and I have had mine cleaned/rebuilt once in the last year. It is running well now, maybe we just have bad gas in KY but my echo' s run fine.

Try pulling the exhaust screen at the muffler. May be partially blocked.

Some shops really pis me off too.

I wonder sometimes those guys even cut there own grass.
Every single employee I work with cuts there own grass(owner included)(even the 64year old female warranty clerk), and knows the frustration that comes with ope that wont start.

Like being hit with an acorn in the mouth at trimline speed. Makes you want to wrap the trimmer around a tree.
They should be more empathetic.

Originally Posted By: kasedian
throw it in the dumpster, and go buy a Homelite!

LOL, he will probably be able to find a Homelite in the dumpster. Homelite is NOT what it used to be!

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

LOL, he will probably be able to find a Homelite in the dumpster. Homelite is NOT what it used to be!

You got that right. That junk they sell in the big box stores is very poor quality, and parts are impossible to find.

OP, sorry you're having trouble. It sounds like your problem is fuel related ( these days most problems are ), good luck.

I also have a 3-4 year old Stihl BG55 blower. I always add some PRI-G gasoline additive to the gas/oil mix (as well as to the gas I keep on hand for 4-stroke equipment) for my Stihl equipment (I also have a FS45 trimmer and an 029 chainsaw). So far I've had no problems with the carbs on any of these fine pieces of equipment. I'm sure the PRI products are talked about elsewhere on BITOG, but here is a link:

http://priproducts.com/pdfs/Flyer - PRI-G - CONSUMER.pdf

Give it a shot; this might help you with your newer BG55.

[censored] dude! Chill the [censored] out! If you're that [censored], throw it in the dumpster, and go buy a Homelite!

LOL, now that's FUNNY!!
The Homelite stuff even now has a name but the Rep is LONG gone.. There was a time they made quality stuff but those days are ancient history..

To the OP~
These units are "usually" very good and not prone to any specific maladays.. As mentioned I "suspect" your problem is fuel related.. I am of course assuming that you have tried to standard/correct STIHL starting procedure..

660mag mentioned checking the Spark Arrestor screen and without seing the unit I would second that.. I had a BG55 just he other day in for a "NO START" Complaint and found the Spk Arrestor screen pretty much 100% blocked. In this case I suspect it was a combo of improper fuel mix ratio and LOW speed running partly becuase the customer was running the unit W/OUT the correct length tube.
I cleaned the screen, made a minor carb adj and the unit now starts and runs perfectly..

FWIW, I personally own/use a BG85, I've had it for a few years and have found it to be an excellent unit. Like I mentioned above these blowers are very good and don't really have any "issues"..

Its funny right up till the time you are on the end of cranking on it. I am sick and tired of it. Something is bad wrong with this blower.

Originally Posted By: nomochevys
Its funny right up till the time you are on the end of cranking on it. I am sick and tired of it. Something is bad wrong with this blower.

I wasn't making light of your dilemma, just commenting on the Homlite suggestion..

A few of us here have made attempts to offer assistance, as noted in previous posts..
I don't think whatever is wrong is anything "bad" I just think that so far the problem has been misdiagnosed. The fact that the unit WILL RUN means there has been no catastrophic failure.
"IF" you choose not to check some of whats been suggested on your own than my next recommendation would be to take the unit to a DIFFERENT dealer and explain your issues there. The BG55 is a good little blower, there aint a lot to them and I'm perplexed by the dealers apparent inability to find the problem and fix it?

I know. I was being facetious.

Personally, I see no advantage in venting on a forum over a persistent problem with machine and/or inept dealership.

If you're that frustrated, gather some relevant information, roll up your sleeves and get at it. I never take anything to a dealer to fix. Even if it's new.

I feel I'm likely more competent than most people working in the service departments I've seen.

Of course, it helps if you enjoy this kind of work. Which I do.

You can save yourself a lot of grief by doing a test switch of carb from the working machine to the sick machine. See what that does. If it solves the problem, order a carb kit or new carb off of ebay. If it doesn't, do some electrics inspections and/or testing.

It could be something as simple as a loose wire interrupting spark or even disconnected choke linkage.

As 660 said, these are simple, reliable machines that are normally easy to diagnose and repair.

Quote:
It could be something as simple as a loose wire interrupting spark or even disconnected choke linkage.

On these units the choke is part of the A/BX & normally a very positive ON/OFF kinda thing. While it's certainly possible to break anything these seldom do.. Simple test is to remove the A/Bx cover and A/F, then simply look inside to see if the choke is functioning as it should..

As far as the ignition, these ignitions are very good and I rarely do a coil on the smaller hand held STIHL Blowers.. However there have been a few times I had to replace the ON/OFF switch. Again while generally very good poop happens and it could go bad. Easy way to check is to remove the R/S assy (4X~T/27 bolts)and disco the kill wire at the Coil (it's plainly visible).. By isolating the coil from the on/off switch you can determine very quickly "if" it's an ignition prob.
Note that ONE of the 4 T/27 bolts is a DIFF thread so be careful when reassembling the unit.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Have you tried a new spark plug?

I have not. It has not had three tanks of gas run through it since new because it wont run long enough. A independent guy told me it was bad gas. That theory wont work because I have a chainsaw, weed eater, and another blower that all run on gas out of the same can. Whats so frustrating is that the dealer wont help.

Im convinced its a carb problem. It barely fires now when cold and then dies and thats it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back