safest jack stands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was about to go to Sears and grab the 3 ton talls for $25 or the 4ton professional for $40. In my searches I found some info. First of all, I trust the pawl with the ridges more than the pin, BUT, ANSI certifies the pin style and I have found one instance so far of the pawl failing and breaking a guy's face, so why not have both.

Only thing I can find in a 3 ton is the Torin T43002A and the unfindable chrome T43002CM. Pretty decent deal on Amazon and Northern Tool.

Never heard of Torin until tonight and have had great experience with 3 ton Craftsmans, so why mess with success?

Buying local is important, but online is ok too.
Any thoughts?

Oh well, I found some recent discussion that didn't surface in my first search.

Last edited:
I just have a set from NAPA. One thing I look for is that the two halves are fully welded. Found too many instances of ones with spot welds doing the ..um..'splits'.

Here another thread if this wasn't the one you were referring to. It's call "another reason to be careful."

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...934#Post2217934

I found a pair of Maasdam Powerlift 3 ton stands with a unique pin mechanism for $25 at my Home Depot. My only question is how strong is the pin?

Maasdam Jackall 3-Ton Jack Stands (2-Pack)
Model # MPL4124-HD
Internet # 202332236
Store SKU # 755397

Overall rating 4 / 5 Rating breakdown 1 review
5 stars 04 stars 13 stars 02 stars 01 star 01 out of 1(100%)customers recommend this product.(1) Write a Review Share this product
Reviews
$24.99 /EA-Each

72191dc3-4f85-4a95-9e66-eb0dfcf51b3e_300.jpg

Don't know what the "safest" is, but the mentioned T43002A Torin Big Red Double-Locking Jack Stands at Northern Tool look excellent. On sale in store @ $20 thru 6/25.

144853_lg.jpg

Id be looking for USA made stands. Pin is positive engagement. I posted a story about a kid being killed because somehow the pawl lost engagement and dropped a BMW on him.

Not saying that the pin is stronger, but it is more positive I suppose.

I use OTC branded US-made onews without pins, but I only ever take to the lowest setting so there isnt far to fall.

I looked at some Hein and Werner stands that were made in USA. Upon closer inspection that company is now owned by Shinn Fu Company of America. I don't know what to think about developments like these. My fear is that Chinese owners would start cost-cutting.

I believe the Shinn Fu is the name on the jack I bought 15 years ago. It is identical to many of the jacks at Harbor Freight and the ones made by Torrin. I'm guessing most are contract manufactured overseas and distributed at best by a US company.

Letter_K,

The HWs are indeed made in the US. There's a plant in Georgia & Missouri.

ET16,
I share your concerns. Gray Mfg in Missouri is a good alternative.

I know alot of ppl skip harbor freight automatically but they have some great jack stands IMO.

I have a 3 ton set and a 12 ton set. The 12 tons are BEAST.

and you can usually find them on sale. I wanna say a recent flyer had them 3ton set for $18

qs036r.jpg

The only problems I've had with my HF jackstands were user error problems. They're an okay set of stands, but do not have a "positive" engagement like others do.

IMO the safest jack stands are made by US Jack.

D-41608.jpg

Features:

*"Double lock security system" utilizes two pawls to engage two teeth on the load bar
*Rated capacity is per stand - stands are packaged in pairs
*Ten ton features heavy gauge welded angle iron legs while three ton and six ton have stamped steel legs
*One-piece ductile iron load bar secures load in position
*100% American made parts and materials

Best of all, they aren't that expensive! About $69 gets you a pair of 3 ton stands.

http://www.usjack.com/catalog/Page 10.pdf

Originally Posted By: ms21043
IMO the safest jack stands are made by US Jack.

I must confess I have never heard of jack stands collapsing and crushing someones face. Apparently neither has Google...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Can you provide us with info on the stands that failed and broke the guys face so we can check to see if we have those stands?

Here is the thread.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=70117

There is a pic in there somewhere. I read the entire thread and never read where the victim stated the brand of stand. The pic just shows some dirty, old looking stands without any stickers. The fail point was the 'hole' kind of canted or warped and allow the pawl to disengage allowing it to come on down.

I'd really like to check out the Torins to see if they are fully welded as was suggested here. I'll use the 3 ton craftsmans for now but they're not mine so I can't keep them too long. I'll probably just grab the 4 ton craftsmans when they go back on for $40. I like the idea of the pawl AND pin of the Torin's but have just now heard of Torin and have known of Craftsman for quite some time.

I've heard alot of good comments on the HF orange stands and they are probably just relabeled Craftsman's but I just don't think I would feel right with something from HF being the only thing preventing a catastrophe. And its not the death that scares me so much, its being stuck and crushed and being trapped for hours or days and living paralyzed for the rest of my days. But for some death is worse. We all have our priorities. I'd relate it to being buried alive.

Enough fear mongering, I just want to feel safe and actually be safe because that is probably top 5 on worst ways to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back