2011 CR-V oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 11crv
I might be over tinking all this but we have cold winters and hot summers here in WI so I'm looking to do what is best for the engine. I'm 33 but old school when it comes to cars. Ilike taking the time and doing things right. So....other than moly and I know it is a loaded question what is really making one better that the other? who makes hond oil now. I though I read that like other additives in oils moly is the fad. sorry for all the Q's just searching for info. thanks

Do you see those thousands of cars on the side of the road every winter that grind to a halt because of oil failure in the cold? You are way over playing this. Like someone said earlier you can use just about anything in the recommended grade in this engine.

I think its funny how wrapped up one can get in these forums. So many opinions on different oils. I have been loyal to one oil and read about the Honda full syn and was looking info on the differences. Maybe its best to stick with what you know and maybe change isn't always best!

At 6,000 miles a year just buy the most affordable name brand SN/GF5 rated 5W20 and change it once a year.

Motorcraft is fine (Made by ConocoPhillips just like Honda) but so are QuakerState or Mobil Super 5000 if you can get them cheaper.

Wag123, WRT your earlier post re the moly content in Honda (and Toyota) 0W-20 weight oil, the number you mentioned -- 800+ ppm -- was correct when American Honda Motor Co (AHMC) and TM were importing their bottled 0W-20 oil products from Japan. Now, however, AHMC's supplier is ConocoPhillips (one word, btw)("COP"), which (as others have noted) also happens to be Ford's motor oil supplier. As a consequence, Honda bottled oil products -- synthetic and semi-synthetic; parts #s 9037 and 9036, respectively -- are for all practical purposes the same as Motorcraft's synthetic and semi-synthetic oils. See, e.g., http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...;gonew=1#UNREAD MC's SN oil moly#s are less than 100 ppm.

Toyota has also chosen an American oil company, XOM, for its 0W-20 weight bottled oil products to replace its Japanese supplier, and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before we'll be able to compare TM's bottled motor oil with XOM's 0W-20 weight and find that they, too, are the same. Don't hold me to it, but I believe XOM's 0W-20 moly# is around 200 ppm.

Originally Posted By: Hounds

Toyota has also chosen an American oil company, XOM, for its 0W-20 weight bottled oil products to replace its Japanese supplier, and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before we'll be able to compare TM's bottled motor oil with XOM's 0W-20 weight and find that they, too, are the same. Don't hold me to it, but I believe XOM's 0W-20 moly# is around 200 ppm.

Negative. The VOA numbers on Toyota's black bottle 0w-20 oil from Mobile are consistant with the VOA numbers on Toyota's older red bottle 0w-20 from Nippon and recent UOAs support this.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1919589#Post1919589
NOTE: In the above post it doesn't mention which supplier the Honda 0w-20 oil with high moly came from.
The major auto manufacturers spec the oil that they purchase from their suppliers. I could be wrong, but I doubt that the VOA numbers from newer Honda CoP supplied 0w-20 will be much different from the older Honda Idemitsu supplied 0w-20 VOA numbers.

Last edited:
I can't offer any info on the other oil brands mentioned here, but I can tell you that the oil supplied to U.S. Honda dealers by the quart is as follows. I work for a dealer and this is from the latest box of oil we received this week.

5W-20 is full synthetic
0W-20 is semi-synthetic

This is printed right on the box and bottle. I personally would have guessed the 0W-20 to be the fully synthetic of the two. So much for guessing, The bottle also states that the oil is the only oil tested and recommended by Honda R&D. Of course.

It is a high quality oil that will serve your CRV well. I use the 0W-20 in my 2010 CRV.

Originally Posted By: wag123
Hounds said:
I could be wrong, but I doubt that the VOA numbers from newer Honda CoP supplied 0w-20 will be much different from the older Honda Idemitsu supplied 0w-20 VOA numbers.

I have copies of VOAs on 9036 and 9037 and the moly is +/- 100ppm.

Originally Posted By: Spooled
I can't offer any info on the other oil brands mentioned here, but I can tell you that the oil supplied to U.S. Honda dealers by the quart is as follows. I work for a dealer and this is from the latest box of oil we received this week.

5W-20 is full synthetic
0W-20 is semi-synthetic

This is printed right on the box and bottle. I personally would have guessed the 0W-20 to be the fully synthetic of the two. So much for guessing, The bottle also states that the oil is the only oil tested and recommended by Honda R&D. Of course.

It is a high quality oil that will serve your CRV well. I use the 0W-20 in my 2010 CRV.

Your statement above is incorrect. Take another look at Honda's offering.

Last edited:
If honda 0w20 and amsoil 0w20 were compared which is better? What is the moly content of the Amsoil and how did you find it? I have always used Wix oil filter any thoughts over Honda's oil filer and who makes it for it? What is the purpose of the high moly content? Is it helping with friction

I don't know about "better", but the functional viscosity of the Amsoil 0W20 is quite a bit higher than the Toyota/Honda 0W20's. The hths of the Amsoil is 2.8 versus 2.6, and the startup viscosity of the Toyota/Honda oils is quite a bit lower. Personally, I'd stick with the Honda or Toyota 0W20. It'll be interesting to see if Amsoil's new 0W20's are actually lighter.

I've used Wix filters on that same engine, and they seem fine.

Wag123, WRT your earlier post re the moly content in Honda (and Toyota) 0W-20 weight oil, the number you mentioned -- 800+ ppm -- was correct when American Honda Motor Co (AHMC) and TM were importing their bottled 0W-20 oil products from Japan. Now, however, AHMC's supplier is ConocoPhillips (one word, btw)("COP"), which (as others have noted) also happens to be Ford's motor oil supplier. As a consequence, Honda bottled oil products -- synthetic and semi-synthetic; parts #s 9037 and 9036, respectively -- are for all practical purposes the same as Motorcraft's synthetic and semi-synthetic oils. See, e.g., http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...;gonew=1#UNREAD MC's SN oil moly#s are less than 100 ppm.

A couple of things:

-I wouldn't assume that the Honda and Motorcraft oils are the same. Just because CP makes them, doesn't mean they'll be made to the same spec

-I don't know why you'd assume the additive pack would be the same for the 5W20 blend as the 0W20 synthetic or synblend? they're different oils. Until we have a VOA of the new COP oils make for Honda, it's nothing but speculation

-the XOM-made 0W20 does indeed have a high-moly forumation: http://205.243.146.146/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1829548&page=5 There was a lot of speculation before the VOA's were done that the XOM/Toyota oil would just be re-branded Mobil1 0W20. As you can see from the specs, it's a totally different oil.

I agree that this engine would run on grapefruit juice, it's a great motor and easy on oil. That said, you have to put something in there, so I understand looking for 'the best'. Since the formulation of the new Honda oils is unknown at this point, I'd either use the older Honda/Idemitsu oil, or Toyota's 0W20 and change it at the MM. The Toyota oil can generally be have at a dealer for under $6.00/qt if you shop around.

For $5/qt, I'd stick with the OE Honda 0w20. Great oil.

(you can get it for qt if you become friends with the parts guys, BTW)

In regards to my earlier post, Mr. IndyDriver is correct. I was looking at the Hybrid oil which does not apply to the CRV. Thank you for correcting my mistake.

Originally Posted By: JOD
. . . A couple of things:

-I wouldn't assume that the Honda and Motorcraft oils are the same. Just because CP makes them, doesn't mean they'll be made to the same spec

-I don't know why you'd assume the additive pack would be the same for the 5W20 blend as the 0W20 synthetic or synblend? they're different oils. Until we have a VOA of the new COP oils make for Honda, it's nothing but speculation

-the XOM-made 0W20 does indeed have a high-moly forumation: http://205.243.146.146/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1829548&page=5 There was a lot of speculation before the VOA's were done that the XOM/Toyota oil would just be re-branded Mobil1 0W20. As you can see from the specs, it's a totally different oil. . . . .

JOD: Respectfully, I think you misinterpreted what I wrote.

I referred to two specific AHMC oil products (bottled by COP for Honda) and stated they were (are), for all practical purposes, the same as Ford's equivilent Motorcraft synthetics. This year's VOAs reflect that, and I cited one example ("e.g."). I believe IndyDriver has previously provided links to both products, and the moly#s in both instances are less than 100 ppm. Stated differently, whatever AHMC may have been selling over the counter last year, this year COP's "Genuine Honda" oil products are essentially the same as their Motorcraft counterparts.

WRT to Toyota's synthetics, you linked an April 2010 VOA in support of your contention that TM's (black) bottled 0W-20 is dissimilar from XOM's 0W-20 synthetic oil. You may well be correct. XOM reintroduced their 0W-20 synthetic this year. I didn't say they were the same. I said it's only a matter of time before we'll see a VOA comparison between what TM is now selling (i.e., the "black bottle" oil) and XOM's 0W-20 weight synthetic, which will tell us whether they are the same or not.

To return to the original post, however, the OP apparently believes that AHMC is now selling a bottled oil with 800+ ppm of Mo, and that's not correct. I don't know of any SN oil product with more than 200 ppm of moly, but I may well be wrong.

JOD: Respectfully, I think you misinterpreted what I wrote.

I referred to two specific AHMC oil products (bottled by COP for Honda) and stated they were (are), for all practical purposes, the same as Ford's equivilent Motorcraft synthetics. This year's VOAs reflect that, and I cited one example ("e.g."). I believe IndyDriver has previously provided links to both products, and the moly#s in both instances are less than 100 ppm. Stated differently, whatever AHMC may have been selling over the counter last year, this year COP's "Genuine Honda" oil products are essentially the same as their Motorcraft counterparts.

WRT to Toyota's synthetics, you linked an April 2010 VOA in support of your contention that TM's (black) bottled 0W-20 is dissimilar from XOM's 0W-20 synthetic oil. You may well be correct. XOM reintroduced their 0W-20 synthetic this year. I didn't say they were the same. I said it's only a matter of time before we'll see a VOA comparison between what TM is now selling (i.e., the "black bottle" oil) and XOM's 0W-20 weight synthetic, which will tell us whether they are the same or not.

To return to the original post, however, the OP apparently believes that AHMC is now selling a bottled oil with 800+ ppm of Mo, and that's not correct. I don't know of any SN oil product with more than 200 ppm of moly, but I may well be wrong.

Fair enough--I very may have misread a little. My basic thought is that the COP 0W oils *might* be significantly different than the 5W oil; but again, that's speculation on my part. That said, someone later on this thread mentioned that he'd seen a VOA of the 0W COP oils and they weren't high-moly formulations? I haven't seen the VOA, so I'll reserve judgement until then.

Regarding the Toyota oil and XOM, I'm a little confused by your question/suggestion. There are existing VOA's for what Totoya is now selling (the one to which I linked earlier), and new new Mobil1 0W20 SN. . Obviously, they're very different oils. I guess the question is 'what will Toyota's 0W20 SN look like' if and when they introduce it? So far I really haven't heard anything about it.

If one is really set on getting an SN-rated oil with a high organic moly content, a guess would be Eneos' 0W20. But again, that's a guess as I haven't seen a VOA on it. I know they advertise that it 'contains organic moly compound' and that they claim the COF is similar to 'a leading OEM 0W20 (presumed to by the black bottle Toyota). Bottom line, if you want a high-moly formulation for sure, the SM-rated oils are the only ones out there.

JOD: You're right, sir. I began my initial response WRT to AHMC's bottled products, with which I am familiar, and ventured off into speculation about TM's with which I'm not. I'll cut my losses now and assume that TM's 0W-20 weight oil will remain what it's always been, a unique product, distinct from M1's 0W-20, formulated specifically to accommodate the frequent start/stop cycling of the Prius (and Camry) Sterling motors.

I might be over tinking all this but we have cold winters and hot summers here in WI so I'm looking to do what is best for the engine. I'm 33 but old school when it comes to cars. Ilike taking the time and doing things right. So....other than moly and I know it is a loaded question what is really making one better that the other? who makes hond oil now. I though I read that like other additives in oils moly is the fad. sorry for all the Q's just searching for info. thanks

You are focusing TOO much on just one aspect of car ownership. Engine make car does not.

A car without a transmission is not a car, but a lawn ornamet.
A car without brakes is not a car, but a lawn ornament.
A car without cooling system is not a car, but a lawn ornament.

Are you catching my drift?

Honda is very sensitive to fluids that you put in.

Automatic transmission, sadly the only choice on the CR-V, can only use Honda ATF. There have been instances where Honda automatic failed because of Amsoil "Honda compatible" fluid was used, and Amsoil denied the repair.

Power steering can only use Honda PSF. Anything but Honda PSF will make the rack leak.

Rear differential can only use Honda DPF. There is no alternative to the Honda Dual pump fluid.

Honda coolant is blue, and is the only recommended collant. Silicates found in some aftermarket coolants will wear down the pump, and tap water is also known as "hondacide"

Honda only recommends using Honda brake fluid because of the friction modifiers, and there have been instances where the seals inverted because of aftermarket brake fluid missing friction modifiers.

so, you are focusing on preserving the engine, I think you should look at the broader picture. This is coming from soneone who has early 80's Honda and keeps it running in tip top shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back