My Accord shudders under load - help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Driving down the highway a couple of days ago, I suddenly felt that my car was shuddering. I seems that this happens only when the car is under load, going up hills, or increasing speed for passing.

Coasting along on a flat surface, everything seems normal, also at highway speeds.

I have had the car since new, and it has now passed 245K km (152K+ miles). It has been remarkably reliable. Aside from regular tune up stuff and brakes, tires, I have not had to replace or fix anything.

My wife did claim that the other day she was driving around town, she felt like the car wanted to stall a couple of times, and she had to rev is to keep it going, but I have never experienced anything like that myself.

This is a manual transmission vehicle.

Any pointers as to what might be wrong with my car are greatly appreciated!

Time for a tune-up. A lot of time under load even with light throttle - you will get that shudder. That is usually the 1st sign of engine misses...next will come the P0300 random missfire code. Was the CEL flashing when it was doing this?

Anyway - cheap and easy to change plugs and wires and If you haven't done it yet it may be due. Of course it could also be a coil...vaccuum leak...but I would be looking at plugs first.

Last edited:
Do you have a temp gauge on the dash? Is the engine coming up the temp normally? If so, plugs and wires should totally be your first stop. This is consistent with a broken spark plug or a faulty wire that is arcing. This happens under load rather than when you are coasting. It's cheap, easy, and should be done regularly anyway. If that doesn't resolve the issue, next stop might be fuel filter. There is a way to diagnose a plugged fuel line or fuel filter, but it should be done by a mechanic using a fuel pressure gauge. These are the normal, easy things that can cause this and in greater than 58% of cases (my completely made up number) will resolve the issue.

Sounds like ignition misfire.
Common things like plugs and wires are first. Then coil.

Sure, it could be unpteen jillion other things, but get these straight first, as they has to be right no matter what.

Thanks guys.

Starting with replacing the wire set seems to make sense to me - it has never been replaced in 152 K miles. Spark plugs (irridium), were changed at 115K miles.

What is a good wire set, other than the original, over priced Honda stuff?

Originally Posted By: sr17
Thanks guys.

Starting with replacing the wire set seems to make sense to me - it has never been replaced in 152 K miles. Spark plugs (irridium), were changed at 115K miles.

What is a good wire set, other than the original, over priced Honda stuff?

Ahem.

If they lasted 152k, they are not overpriced. Do not set foot in AutoZone.

Also, use a dab of dielectric grease on the spark plug terminal.

You may have spark plug tunnel seals leaking oil into the plug tunnels. One or more of your spark plugs may be "underwater" with oil, which will cause a misfire too.
O-rings designed to seal the tubes get brittle with age and start letting oil into the plug tubes.
A video about them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYU8qtPzQOY

Edit: I'm not sure if your year engine has two-piece plug tunnels or one-piece. Two-piece can leak at the valve cover demarcation point and at a point between the block and a camshaft piece. One-piece plug tunnels can leak just at the valve cover demarcation point.

Last edited:
coil-on-plug? Pardon my ignorance, but what is that?

As for the 152K, it is remarkable how long this vehicle has gone without needing any significant repairs. Alternator, water pump, starter, exhaust, clutch, etc., how long do all these things last?

Other than lots of oil and filter changes - 1 set of spark plugs, 2 batteries and 2 sets of tires and 3 brake jobs is all I have done on this car.

When my Honda Accord did that same exact thing. We changed everything on it and it still did it. Then talked to the dealer and they said it requires a valve adjustment. Did it in our garage and it fixed the shuddering problem. This is on a 2000 and it has never been mentioned to us for routine maintenance. Is it throwing any codes?

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Sounds like ignition misfire.
Common things like plugs and wires are first. Then coil.

Sure, it could be unpteen jillion other things, but get these straight first, as they has to be right no matter what.

I agree. Also just because the spark plugs were replaced somewhat recently does not mean they are not dead already. Take them out and look at them. Iridium spark plugs are far from magical, the reason companies give such long intervals is because they want to seem like the car is maintenance free for a long time. Also the OEM replacement interval is for a new car that does not run rich, leak oil, etc, you definitely cannot expect a higher mileage car to give you the same spark plug life as the originals. DENSO actually recommends 30k mile replacement with their performance Iridiums (DENSO is the OE manufacturer but Honda puts their "long life" ones in).

Just remember that the list of what it could be is very long and spark plugs are the most common cause and also the easiest to fix. It would be difficult for me to "internet diagnose" anything with as many possible causes as your problem.

Originally Posted By: 190E26FTW
When my Honda Accord did that same exact thing. We changed everything on it and it still did it. Then talked to the dealer and they said it requires a valve adjustment. Did it in our garage and it fixed the shuddering problem. This is on a 2000 and it has never been mentioned to us for routine maintenance. Is it throwing any codes?

You didn't notice the increased valve train noise?

The Accord manual does not state it, but the Civic manual states to check valve clearances when the "valve train noise increases" (their words). Accords are much less prone to valve clearances being out of spec, but it does still happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back