Installed Philips Extreme Power +80s, WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at my new topic. I ordered Osram Hypers from the highly recommended US site but I think I got the fake ones. To add insult to the injury, I paid $45 for the pair.

I hope Daniel Stern and his crew come through this depressing experience.

- Vikas

Vikas, why don't you wait for Ronn's review of his Hypers H7 after he received it from the seller in Hong Kong. If it is good then buy from that seller if he has the bulbs(H4?) you want.

Unfortunately, that EBAY seller does not have H4. I checked yesterday.

Did you use some software to check the brightness from that picture? In real life, I could not distinguish between the brightness of the two bulbs. Honestly, I was crestfallen. I remember how impressed I was when I put one of the XTreme in the other car and did the comparison.

May be I should wait and actually drive the van on the road in the night to see if they are as bad as I think they are. But seriously, that bulb could not have passed the quality control of any German bulb manufacturer.

- Vikas

No, I just looked at both beam in that picture for few seconds. As I posted in the other post, I had Osram Hyper H7 I bought from Daniel Stern on E430 about 8 years ago, it was much brighter than Philips +50 but lasted less than 1 year.

I'm waiting Ronn's review of the Osram Hyper H7 next week then go from there.

Based on this thread, I got inspired to change the bulbs in my new-to-me CR-V. It had the original Philips HB2/9003/H4 LL bulbs. I couldn't bring myself to order the +80s online, and picked up a pair of Sylvania Xtravisions for $17.88. They're made in Germany by OSRAM. There's quite a difference in light output. The biggest change I noticed was the color (less yellow) and the side lighting is much greater and more defined with these bulbs. Definitely worth the upgrade.

Got Osram Rallye 65W from China (Ebay) today. I can confirm that they are indeed genuine. They have ALL the appropriate markings under the bulb...*Made in Germany*..all specs printed and match. I have a spare bulb to prove this in a pic if you don't take my word.
He are the bulbs installed. Just click on this link, since I can't show a pic here.
005-5.jpg

Last edited:
One thing I just noticed from the ebay photos. The phenolic insulation looks just like mine i.e. it has metallic specks in it. So both are genuine or both are fake :)

Found another bulb that operates on 65W/H7. This one has 5000K color as opoosed to 3200K Osram Rallye Hyper above. That would make this bulb a very bright DIAMOND WHITE as opposed to the standard 3200K OEM color. Both should have the same overall brightness though.
This is made in Japan:
IPF H7 Super 65W

'For headlight systems having two single element H-7 bulbs (usually in two lenses). Delivers a light that equals bulbs having a much higher wattage rating. Fits all standard H7 light assemblies.

These bulbs have a distinct blueish tint to them and are rated at a color temperature of 5000 Kelvin. By contrast, clear H7 bulbs are typically rated at 3200 Kelvin'

You never want to buy a blue bulb. It can NOT be brighter than clear bulb. That is just the physics.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Vikas
You never want to buy a blue bulb. It can NOT be brighter than clear bulb. That is just the physics.

- Vikas

True, but I didn't claim that. This one isn't too far into the blue area at 5000K and the tint is very light, so it would be very close in overall brightness to the Osram 65W. That said...it's the Osram Rallye 65W for me.

Last edited:
Whiter light might be sexier looking but when it comes actual usage, a non coated gives you better color rendition especially in inclement weather. Do not confuse white lights with true HID as they put almost 3 times total lumens than regular bulbs

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Whiter light might be sexier looking but when it comes actual usage, a non coated gives you better color rendition especially in inclement weather.

That's why I went with Osrams @3200K for my headlights. Went for the *look* in my fogs with 6000K Xeneon 65W (not HID).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back