Should I "seal" headlights after sanding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 06 Honda Civic's headlights are badly pitted. I planned on sanding and buffing it this weekend but I ran into a place that charges $50 to "seal" them afterwards with some kind of sealant they claim will make them not need buffing ever again.

Anyone heard of this? Is it legit? Should I just pay them to do it?

Thanks guys!
coffee2.gif

Buy a can of clear-coat and seal them yourself. Basically what they're going to do for $50. Another, cheaper, less intrusive but easier to apply option is Future acrylic floor sealant.

Make sure to buff really well before sealing, and you WILL need to periodically touch up the sealed areas, no matter what you do.

Does anyone have any real long term sealed headlights? OR... is the plastic only going to yellow under the sealer which would be great next time trying to clean them up especially if clearcoat is on them. Nothing posted seems to restrict UV.

Last edited:
After you clean/correct them, just use any paint sealant frequently -- just like you do your paint. Most decent sealants can be applied to the whole car: paint, glass, plastic lenses, wheels, etc. I would not pay $50.

I put a few coats of Pledge (with Future acrylic) floor wax on the Beetle's headlights when I sanded/polished them. One year on they're still bright and clear and a single $5 bottle of it is enough to do about a hojillion headlights.

A product like Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane varnish thinned with paint thinner, oil base not water base varnish. Any paint or hardware store will have this or a similar product. So-called spar varnishes are good for outdoor use, and many contain UV blockers. A foam brush seems like it would be better than his folded blue paper towel...try anything and use what works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back