Official Toyota Oil Recommendation Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just noticed this post . Thanks RCY . I suppose this chart would confirm the TOYOTA T.S.B. EG018-06 from March 29 of 2006 that gives approval for 5w-20 for those engines stating 5w-30 . Makes me think of going for the 5w-20 for the YARIS . Should it be a synthetic or conventional ? Thinking S.N. rated PENNZOIL or SHELL for a 5w-20 . Would it apply to TOYOTAs in the U.S. ? Where could the chart for the U.S. be found ? Thanks

5W-20 OK for a Pupra Turbo??!!

I think NOT!!
31.gif
(Although those twins would spool up right quick with that stuff in the sump, huh?)

Originally Posted By: rshunter
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
...Pupra Turbo??!!

A product of Toyota India?
grin.gif

It's just my 'term of endearment' type razz on all of the 2JZGTE worshippers out there.
wink.gif
lol.gif

dusting off this old thread and asking for some advice:
I just bought an 09 Camry Hybrid with 21K miles. I live in San Antonio and drive less than 10K a year. Would a 5w20 be any better for the engine than a 0w20? Owner's manual doesn't reference the ambient temp but does OK the use of either.

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted By: l00b_n00b
dusting off this old thread and asking for some advice:
I just bought an 09 Camry Hybrid with 21K miles. I live in San Antonio and drive less than 10K a year. Would a 5w20 be any better for the engine than a 0w20? Owner's manual doesn't reference the ambient temp but does OK the use of either.

Thanks in advance.

You can use either.....with confidence.

My next OC will be with.... Mobil 1 0w20.....but I've used 5w20 for the last 40,000 miles. Vehicle runs smooth and strong.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If you use dino 5W20 then you should do 5k/6mo OCI's.

If you us syn 5w20....you should be able to do 7,500 to 10,000/1 year OCI.....dependng on your drivig habits.

Talked to TOYO service center this past week and service manager stated they're using GULF 5w-20 for bulk oil . It's a semi-synthetic if I remember correctly . May have to call them back to confirm , may get a different answer . This seems to be the case from one TOYOTA service center to another . Enough to drive you
crazy.gif
. Wish they'd all get on the same page .
smirk.gif

The manual says 5k mi or 6 mos, whichever comes first, with either 5W20 or 0W20. I saw on the Toyota website where the 2010 & 2011 models were able to go to 10K mi/12 mos with the 0W20. Any reason why the 09 engine would be any different? I'd rather just change my oil once a year unless there is a compelling reason to do it twice that frequently.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: mongo161
My 1997 Toyota Manual states to use 05W-30 or 10W-30 oil. Now they have a different listing of 05W-20 or 05W-30. I've been using 05W-30 for the last 10 years and will continue with that weight oil. Why should I use 05W-20? I really don't see any benefit since they are all about the same. I do use 10W-30 sometimes in the heat of the summer and for long summer trips. I do use Shell Rotella 05W-40 T6 when I find a good price on the oil. I've never had any problems.

Your reasoning is irrational.
The advantages of using as light an oil as possible have been sited many times and I shouldn't need to repeat them here.
There is rarely a valid reason to choose a heavier oil than specified by the manufacturer and presumed greater engine protection is common myth.
Oil quality has improved a lot in the past 15 years. That is the reason a lighter oil can now be back spec'd to prior model years.

a big THANK YOU to CAT for once again, bringing simple common sense to the board

Originally Posted By: odie
Talked to TOYO service center this past week and service manager stated they're using GULF 5w-20 for bulk oil . It's a semi-synthetic if I remember correctly . May have to call them back to confirm , may get a different answer . This seems to be the case from one TOYOTA service center to another . Enough to drive you
crazy.gif
. Wish they'd all get on the same page .
smirk.gif

Here's what the bulk may be . The Gulfpride semi-syn or the GulftTEC synthetic . http://www.tier1brands.com/engineoils.php . These Product Bulletin Sheets ( same as P.D.S , T.D.S. ) were posted April 2011 and are SN/GF-5 . States use for HONDA , TOYOTA , and NISSAN for the GulftTEC synthetic 0w-20 , here's that P.B.S. , http://www.tier1brands.com/ckfinder/user...Oil%200W-20.pdf . What's your take on these oils ?

Last edited:
Hi, i am late to this post, but looked at the chart....
red dot is 5W30 only (emphasizing on the word only), and green dot is 0w20 only (that word "only"). yet I see some cars have three dots, a red, blue, and green. What's this "ONLY" business then? how can a car be spec'ed to 5W30 only and 5W20 only, it's oxymoron.

From the legend at the top of the chart, if a vehicle has only a green dot, that means it is speced only for 0W-20. If a vehicle has only a red dot, that means it is speced only for 5W-30. If a vehicle has both a red dot and a green dot, that means it is speced for both 0W-20 and 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: steve20
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: mongo161
My 1997 Toyota Manual states to use 05W-30 or 10W-30 oil. Now they have a different listing of 05W-20 or 05W-30. I've been using 05W-30 for the last 10 years and will continue with that weight oil. Why should I use 05W-20? I really don't see any benefit since they are all about the same. I do use 10W-30 sometimes in the heat of the summer and for long summer trips. I do use Shell Rotella 05W-40 T6 when I find a good price on the oil. I've never had any problems.

Your reasoning is irrational.
The advantages of using as light an oil as possible have been sited many times and I shouldn't need to repeat them here.
There is rarely a valid reason to choose a heavier oil than specified by the manufacturer and presumed greater engine protection is common myth.
Oil quality has improved a lot in the past 15 years. That is the reason a lighter oil can now be back spec'd to prior model years.

a big THANK YOU to CAT for once again, bringing simple common sense to the board

Isn't thicker oil better due to less prone of fuel dilution on bumper-to-bumper traffic ?

I have asked several Toyota service advisers, parts guys at various dealerships. No one I can find at Toyota has heard of this chart. Everything on the internet is not true. I'm just saying.

The way I interpret the Toyota oil chart for the 04, v6 Tacoma is the first & preferred is 5w30 and the second oil in line is the 5w20. I would op for the 5w30 but,5w20 is a second but, OK choice.

Originally Posted By: JasonBraswell
I have asked several Toyota service advisers, parts guys at various dealerships. No one I can find at Toyota has heard of this chart. Everything on the internet is not true. I'm just saying.

Did you even take a minute to read the first post in this thread? My post. First off, Toyota Canada, so if you're asking in the states, you very well might be getting blank stares from the American Toyota employees.

Secondly, the chart was not randomly grabbed off the internet. Nor did I spend an entire day with "PDF for dummies" or "Photoshop for dummies" or "practical jokes on bitogers for dummies" in order to produce a polished and coloured chart.

No, as mentioned in the first post, I emailed Toyota Canada with a very specific question on what engines 0w20 could be used in, and they sent me the stunning chart that you think is some sort of fraud.

Since you appear to be the doubting Thomas type, I encourage you to stop asking uninformed Toyota employees, and perhaps do what I did and send an intelligently worded email to Toyota USA asking for whatever specific information you need that the mystery chart is not providing. You probably could have done that in the same amount of time it took you to post the ludicrous post that you did.

Just saying...

Originally Posted By: rcy
Originally Posted By: JasonBraswell

Did you even take a minute to read the first post in this thread? My post. First off, Toyota Canada, so if you're asking in the states, you very well might be getting blank stares from the American Toyota employees.

Secondly, the chart was not randomly grabbed off the internet. Nor did I spend an entire day with "PDF for dummies" or "Photoshop for dummies" or "practical jokes on bitogers for dummies" in order to produce a polished and coloured chart.

No, as mentioned in the first post, I emailed Toyota Canada with a very specific question on what engines 0w20 could be used in, and they sent me the stunning chart that you think is some sort of fraud.

Since you appear to be the doubting Thomas type, I encourage you to stop asking uninformed Toyota employees, and perhaps do what I did and send an intelligently worded email to Toyota USA asking for whatever specific information you need that the mystery chart is not providing. You probably could have done that in the same amount of time it took you to post the ludicrous post that you did.

Just saying...

Excuse my french- Monsieur!

If you want to share the communication documents from Toyota Canada, I will be happy to forward them to Toyota USA and ask for the same request.

I just find it hard to believe Toyota would make this change and fail to distribute the info to the dealers and overall public. Something does not make sense here...

Even better, why don't you ask Toyota Canada to show how this is chart is sent from Japan? that would end the debate real fast.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back