BMW 335d - diesel fuel treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone with the 335d using a diesel fuel treatment, particularly with cetane booster? The engine is optimized for euro premium diesel, 51 cetane or above, and that fuel is very hard, if not impossible, to find in the U.S.

The US version of that engine is perfectly compatible with the typical diesel fuel found in the US & Canada. Don't worry about it. Killer car, BTW!

Compatible, yes. Ideal?

Given these [Euro diesel] engines have been designed for 49 to 51 cetane fuel, the 40 to 45 cetane we have affects performance.

More than a few times someone will take their US spec diesel to Europe and rave about how well it runs.

M6, what does BMW say about additives, if anything?

Bob:

I couldn't find any guidance pro or con re additives in the Owner's Manual or Warranty & Service book. I just might write to "my old friend" Jim (O'Donnell, CEO of BMW NA) to encourage them to come out with a BMW additive bottle sold thru dealer Parts Dept - - kind like they did with the techron-like stuff they sold (and still sell) before they got around to "Top Tier" gasoline. The EPA regs/ASTM stds are really bottom line for quality, I think, for both gas and diesel.

I would have greater peace of mind using a BMW additive product than something aftermarket, even though it might be identical in makeup. I have learned from some of the BMW forums that some 335d owners are using Kleen Diesel without any apparent problems and they report the 335d runs quieter and smoother.

Since they don't forbid additive usage, I'd give Stanadyne Performance Formula a try. Start with 4 oz per 15 gallons and see how it does.

Originally Posted By: m6pwr
Anyone with the 335d using a diesel fuel treatment, particularly with cetane booster? The engine is optimized for euro premium diesel, 51 cetane or above, and that fuel is very hard, if not impossible, to find in the U.S.

Doesn't Cal air resource board mandate a min 45 cetane rating? This is 5 points higher than the Fed req but 5 points under current Euro spec.

Originally Posted By: BBDartCA
Originally Posted By: m6pwr

Doesn't Cal air resource board mandate a min 45 cetane rating? This is 5 points higher than the Fed req but 5 points under current Euro spec.

No. CARB incorporates ASTM D975 by reference and that std allows min of 40 cetane number. I called a Chevron tech line for fuels and they laughed (more like guffawed) outright when I said BWM wants 51 cetane in the 335d.

Yeah Id give amsoil cetane improver a try first to baseline how it runs with a pure cetane improvement. Perhaps over a few tanks to make it statistically signifcant. Then try a multi-use product that boosts cetane and does cleaning and lubricity.

Id also look at a blend of 2-cycle oil plus cetane improver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back