Fix flat or expedite new tire purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my BMW still has the OEM michelin pilot sports summer tires. They have 23k on them, and are pretty much @ the end of their life span, but I had planned to get through this summer on them and then get new Conti DWS UHP-AS)tires.

(this car has a staggered tire setup).

So last night I found out that one of the rear tires got a nail in it, and it was flat - AAA came and put the spare tire on.
The guy from AAA told my wife that the nail was in a 'bad place' and may not be a good candidate for a repair/patch.

The tire is a 255/35/18 size.

I am trying to decide: should I try to get the tire repaired, or just expedite the planned new tire purchase?
I really wish I could get 3 more moths or so out of this set..

What I am worried about is: that a tire of this low profile may not be suitable for a 'flat fix', and running the risk of another flat/blow out on the hwy, but that the tire place would tell me 'oh yeah that can be fixed' and does it just to get my money, and not be honest about the dangers associated with it.
The nail is in all the way, with the head on level with tire surface. It went in close to the outer edge of the tire.

what to do/ what to do?
frown.gif

If the nail punctures near the edge of the tire and the tire is near the end of its life, tread dept is less than 4/32", I would buy a new set now. The reason is you may have rain in the next few months before winter, tread depth of less than 4/32" can make your car hydroplaning on highway if there is any standing water.

Rather than letting a AAA guy determine whether the tire can be fixed or not, take it to a good tire shop and let the experts decide and then base your decision on that.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
so a puncture near the edge DOES make it harder/more dangerous to repair? you agree with what the AAA guy said?

Every tire repair guy I've spoken with says this: You can repair it if it is in the treads. You cannot repair it in the sidewall. If it's near the sidewall, a repair is not recommended.

If you drive fast, do you really want to do it on an old tire that has been repaired?

You're already concerned about this thing that is near worn out...replace it and sleep better.

If you drive it hard (what BMW owner doesn't?) then you don't want to chance the failure...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
You're already concerned about this thing that is near worn out...replace it and sleep better.

If you drive it hard (what BMW owner doesn't?) then you don't want to chance the failure...

+1

Why would you spend money on patching a tire that you're going to throw away soon? To properly do it, you'll have to take the tire off the rim, and afterwards you'll have to have it rebalanced. So you're looking at about $50 I'm guessing.

Get new tires. What's the difference if you get them now or 3 months from now? At least you'll be safer this way.

Low profile tires can be patched, I've patched mine and all is still good. What can't be patched, like others said, is puncture too close to the sidewall.

Since it is near the end of life, just buy a new set now and call it a day, or if you really want to save the summer, buy a used tire that is identical in brand/size/model/depth and install it for the time being.

get 3 more moths or so out of this set..

What I am worried about is: that a tire of this low profile may not be suitable for a 'flat fix', and running the risk of another flat/blow out on the hwy, but that the tire place would tell me 'oh yeah that can be fixed' and does it just to get my money,

No way in HECK will a tire place do that. If anything, they tell you that perfectly fixable tires are "unrepairable" in order to sell you a new tire for big $$$$ rather than try to make a buck or two profit on a repair (which is about all they make given how much time R&Ring a tire from the rim takes.

IMO, most tires are fixable unless the puncture is truly through the sidewall structure, or is a puncture from something larger than a nail or screw (ie, a chunk of rebar or something goes through the tread). Tire stores call it "unfixable" if its a pinhole within an inch of the side of the tread, and I've plugged (yes, I know- not the best fix) many tires in that area myself after the tire store refused to fix them, and then gotten another 20k miles out of them. The other thing I do is take it easy on the tire and check it VERY often for the first couple of hundred miles. If the repair is holding and the tire structure isn't deforming after that long, its generally going to be fine for the long run.

Just my $.02.

If its at least 1" away from the sidewall in the tread and can be plugged, I would use a twist plug that is cut off. I've done that safely many times for thousands of miles with no air loss.

However, if the puncture is large or near the corner/shoulder or sidewall, I would absolutely buy new tires regardless of the cost and be safe.

Tire place plugged it - i am going to drive around for a bit and see how it holds up before driving far/fast. If it loses air again or feels weird, i am going to get new tires.

If it gets me through the next 3 months or so though, it would be perfect...then the new tires are due anyway, like i had planned.

Tire place plugged it - i am going to drive around for a bit and see how it holds up before driving far/fast. If it loses air again or feels weird, i am going to get new tires.

If it gets me through the next 3 months or so though, it would be perfect...then the new tires are due anyway, like i had planned.

Thanks for the update...

Keep us posted on how it turns out.

Good Luck, Jim

Thanks

drove about 80 miles today at speeds of about 65-70 mph.
so far so good. will keep it 'sane' for the next few months..
smile.gif

will be great if I get another 3 months or so of use with this set. Then it will be Conti DWS and alignment time, and hopefully a bit more comfy ride, too...(these summer tires are sharp, but they suck in rain and ride hard and twitchy)

That's a ton of miles on PS2's I'd replace.

They are like a 12k mile tire on performance cars, less on the track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back