Sharing Purolator Classic rebranded information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two years ago, I contacted Katrina S. Hull concerning rebranded Purolator filters and enquired if they are the same internally? Two weeks ago, I contacted Pam Warner to confirm if there have been any changes over the past two-years! After reading Purolator’s replies, both times, this should be pretty much squelched issue, but just like ‘who makes what oil’ too will never end. I contacted Purolator both times because some of my constituents were saying two years ago and today that Purolator uses a lesser media quality in their rebranded filters, {such as the V4011 Group7, which is the same as the other Purolator rebrands}, as their Classic line. Yesterday, I again, I received the answer, which was directed to Pam Warner and then forwarded to me! Here is their reply both times:
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 10:17 AM
To: Warner Pam (AA-FI/MKT1-NA)
Subject: RE: Purolator vs Group 7
Hello Jeff,
As relayed two years ago, the Purolator Classic L24011 and the Group 7 V4011 filters are the same internally and equivalent to the OE equipment.
Thank again,
James Murray Jr

Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 8:16 AM
To: FIXED-TERM Murray James (AA-FI/MKT1-NA)
Subject: FW: Purolator vs Group 7

Pam Warner
Associate Product Manager - Filtration
Robert Bosch LLC
Brentwood TN
[email protected]

Second reply: July 23, 2009

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your inquiry with Purolator. I do apologize for the delay in contact with you. The Group7 filters are a product of Purolator, therefore is simply a private brand that we manufacture. These filters are the same internally and are also the equivalent to the OE, therefore, the V4011 is the equivalent to the L24011.

I hope this information helps.

Your business is greatly appreciated.

Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Katrina S. Hull
-------------------------------------------------
Robert Bosch, LLC
AA-FI/MKT1-NA
“We keep vehicles moving”.

We know that they are not changing the media and internals on the Purolator Classic L24011 vs the Purolator Group 7 V4011 filters, then I would see no reason that they would change for the others rebrands {IMHO}. Why would they? I think they are all going down the same assembly line and painting the logos as demand needs. Changing filter media, seals, by-pass or ect. to numerous rebranded filters to me would require separate storage facilites and multiple personnel just to store and to do the Curly-Shuffle on various parts continously. Please feel free to contact Pam and ask. I would like to find that out for myself, but I have already bugged them twice in two years, so I think someone else might want to jump to the ole plate.

Appreciate your efforts on contacting Purolator regarding 'specifically Group 7' filters, glad to see they responded to your inquiry. However, the specific answer I would be looking for is, are Group 7 filters also rated the same 97.5% efficient as their Classic equivalent filters? I'm not certain that the response indicates or says 'specifically' that. In fact, if one goes to the Group 7 oil filter website and click on specific spec sheets, the bar graphs appear to indicate they are not rated the same as Classic.

I also know that Group7 like other Puro made filters (ProLine, Promotive) now used for commercial accounts, is combining similar applications using the the smaller size filter. One example is the 14610 being combined into the the smaller 14612 size. It even appears that G7 has wrapped the even larger L14459, into the smaller 14612 application. It's a practice that I don't care for and has not happened to 'Purolator branded' filters, Classic and P1.

Also the further leap that other Puro made filters such as Proline, ProMotive, Powerflo (discontinued?) and AAP Total Grip(discontinued) are also the identical to a Classic would be an incorrect conclusion. There have been several filters studies like Ed White's Ford FL820S atlernative filter study that have proven less media in at least two of those filters (AAP,Pf) I suspect Proline is the same. Unfortunately that study is now gone from the net. However, our own river_rat compared two of them, Powerflo, and ProMotive to a Classic in this thread. His results showed that there was a difference.

In my own personal experience I have confidently used the AAP Total Grip many times, as it was an excellent value. In fact the AAP TG7317, Purolator 14610 equivalent, internals look identical to a Pure One as shown in this thread. However the the AAP TG is rated 94% (multipass) efficient as opposed to the P1's 99.9%. Even Classic's predecessor, the Premium Plus was rated higher at 96%.

Not saying Group 7 or any of the other Puro made filters mentioned here are not good filters to use, as said I've used AAP TG @$1.45 each confidently. My point is, as the Purolator Classic is so inexpensive, especially now with rebate, no reason to chase a Group7 especially with it's apparent emphasis on combining applications to smaller filters.

I appreciate your information, and it is very interesting. Sir, you are assuming of course that everyone has access to all brands of filters too include Purolator. Actually, in some of the southern and southwestern states this is not the case. Living in southern Oklahoma for example, Purolator filters are not available in the southern six county areas. We only have Pep Boys in larger cities like Lawton, OKC area and Tulsa. We are not as privileged therefore we can’t leave any stone unturned when it comes to auto supplies. Rebates don’t mean too much in the country, besides driving 100 miles to get a couple filter, it would have to be a large rebate. However, AutoZone and Oreilly’s have Fram filters with specials going on continuously, however, I would rather install a used DelMonte peas can with a sock it in but again that is IMHO.

I am not above being wrong and I also emphasized as IMHO, which was clearly stated in my previous entry. Being a country boy, I have a tendency to take things at face value, such as Purolator depicting that the filters were internally ‘the same’. With that being said, ‘the same’ usually means ‘identical’ even in Oklahoma. So, why would one speculate or assume that specs wouldn’t be the same? As far as Group 7 goes, why not ask questions, which is a basic way for most humans to learn, and besides some shops and engine builders use them, which sometimes it makes good conversation and doesn’t break any local laws that I know of? Thanks for your input and have a great weekend.

The question was posed as an assumption regarding filters other than G7 being the same as the Purolator branded filters. I proceeded to answer that question based on the facts as previously posted on this board and other information regarding those filter. Over time, it has shown that they are definitely not the same/identical as Purolator branded filters.

As for the choice of G7, having read the response and then their own specs as posted on their website, the answer doesn't appear to match the information (same meaning identical) provided by the email, thus my question(s) regarding the answer. Also, never said they weren't a viable solid filter choice, just that they wouldn't be my first choice and why.

As for Purolator availabilty, many are fortunate to have access to Kmart and AAP or PB nearby. That said, many on this board access P1 and/or Classic through Amazon which with an order over $25 provides free shipping. From time to time they have offered specials on those filters, and can be combined with the rebates. Just an option for those with no store nearby.

But if Group 7 is your choice for whatever reason, it's fine with me.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac
The question was posed as an assumption regarding filters other than G7 being the same as the Purolator branded filters.

+1. Get a Edmund Scientific 50X hand microscope and take a look for yourself. Easier than email, and more accurate than an assumption.
Oh yeah, get a caliper, too.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back