Something other than 5w-20 for Mazda3 2.5L?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a brand new Mazda3 2.5 (MZR 2.5 engine) which calls for 5w-20 and I'm thinking about doing an oil change at about 2k (manual calls for 5k, no special break-in).

I just came out of a car that had 2x the power and an 8k redline, so I'm finding myself driving this car pretty hard and maybe at higher revs than most. With that said, I'm not sure that 5w-20 is thick enough for comfort, but I also want to stay in warranty. I live in northern NJ so I would definitely want to stick with something with good cold flow.

Any thoughts on a 0w-30 or if 20 is enough, a 0w-20? I do have a short trip to work so I have a mix of hard driving and short trips. Saw the RL 5w-20 has an impressive HT/HS but seems closer to a 30.

Thanks!

You want to stick with xW20 for warranty, after warranty then you can choose xW30 if you like thicker oil for high rev or Redline 5W20 if you're willing to spend money for a very good oil.

Redline isnt SM as required for warranty. The Mazda 2.3L has shown very good results with the Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W20 with OCI up to over 10,000 miles. If the new 2.5L is a member of the same family I see no reason to fix what isnt broken.

If that is the way you like to drive you should have bought the Mazda Speed 3 instead of the Mazda 3.

I would use a quality 5W-20 (the oil of your choice) and drive it as it was intended until it is out of warranty, then put some Motul 300V 5W-40 in there and drive the wheels off of it.

Does the owner's manual allow for a thicker oil? For example, even though only one grade of oil is listed in the chart for my Toyota Camry, the owner's manual also says that a heavier grade oil may be appropriate for higher speeds or heavier driving. It's rather ambiguous, and in my opinion, allows the owner a fair margin of play in terms of picking an oil. If I drive it hard, and want to use a 5W-30 rather than a 0W-20, that's exactly what the owner's manual recommended to me.

Check your owner's manual closely. It may allow you to choose a different grade.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
I just picked up some PP for our 3 and patiently waiting for the 5k to tick over. It would go faster if it wasn't in the bloody bodyshop.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5833014&l=9062748bb2&id=603127432

You car is in my prayers... That was some nasty damage.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Does the owner's manual allow for a thicker oil? For example, even though only one grade of oil is listed in the chart for my Toyota Camry, the owner's manual also says that a heavier grade oil may be appropriate for higher speeds or heavier driving. It's rather ambiguous, and in my opinion, allows the owner a fair margin of play in terms of picking an oil. If I drive it hard, and want to use a 5W-30 rather than a 0W-20, that's exactly what the owner's manual recommended to me.

Check your owner's manual closely. It may allow you to choose a different grade.

My 2006 manual only lists 5w20 for all temperature ranges. I'm guessing his is the same.

Yes, it only lists 5w-20 but does say if you are in Mexico and can't get 5w-20 to use 5w-30. I'll probably just use the Motorcraft or PP/PU 5w-20 then. Do you think I'd be in trouble with respect to the warranty for using 0w-20 in the winter?

I read on some forums that 5w-30 is indicated for this engine in European manuals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chris719
Yes, it only lists 5w-20 but does say if you are in Mexico and can't get 5w-20 to use 5w-30. I'll probably just use the Motorcraft or PP/PU 5w-20 then. Do you think I'd be in trouble with respect to the warranty for using 0w-20 in the winter?

I read on some forums that 5w-30 is indicated for this engine in European manuals.

I would not be afraid to use 0W20 (Which are all Full Synthetic) but its not really required. Most cars tend to spec thicker oils in Europe. Likely because of the possibility of sustained speeds of 200 kmh (124 mph)+ with resulting high oil temps and available extended drain oils. They standard service interval in Europe may be 20000 km (12,400 miles) or longer.

Gentlemen,

I come to you oil nerds from bobistheoilguyville for some advice.

I purchased a used 2008 Mazda3 2.3L back in March from a local dealer here in Los Angeles. Low miles as it only has 19500.

I need to do it's first oil change since I've owned it and am thinking about going with Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-30.

I'm wondering if you guys have an opinion one way or the other regarding this decision...

Dealer says to stick with 5W-20.

Originally Posted By: RCEE
Gentlemen,

I come to you oil nerds from bobistheoilguyville for some advice.

I purchased a used 2008 Mazda3 2.3L back in March from a local dealer here in Los Angeles. Low miles as it only has 19500.

I need to do it's first oil change since I've owned it and am thinking about going with Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-30.

I'm wondering if you guys have an opinion one way or the other regarding this decision...

Dealer says to stick with 5W-20.

I use M1 0-20 in both Duratechs(same as your engine)and find it to be excellant.

If you want your brand new engine to break in nicely... you probably shouldn't be driving it hard. Does the manual say anything about driving habits during break in?

My 2007 Mazda 3 also calls for 5w-20 but have been putting 5w-30 since I got the car new. I did my oil changes at the dealership for 75000 miles and they always used a 5w-30 oil even though the car calls for 5w-20.

Originally Posted By: sunfire
If you want your brand new engine to break in nicely... you probably shouldn't be driving it hard. Does the manual say anything about driving habits during break in?

Is 19500 still considered a brand new engine?

Originally Posted By: Mazda3LA
My 2007 Mazda 3 also calls for 5w-20 but have been putting 5w-30 since I got the car new. I did my oil changes at the dealership for 75000 miles and they always used a 5w-30 oil even though the car calls for 5w-20.

Well it looks as though the car has been using 5W-20 this whole time...I now want to change to 5W-30.

So there shouldn't be any issues right?

Originally Posted By: RCEE
Originally Posted By: Mazda3LA

Well it looks as though the car has been using 5W-20 this whole time...I now want to change to 5W-30.

So there shouldn't be any issues right?

I now have 85000 miles and have had no issues. You should have no issues changing from 5w-20 to 5w-30. A lot of people from the Mazda forums use 5w-30. Check out the link to the blackstone labs oil reports for mazda 3s. Some went with 5w20 and others went with 5w30.

Blackstone labs oil reports

Last edited:
If you sleep better with a 9.7 cSt 5W30 put it in as for your car its just as happy with 9.1 cSt 5W20.

The car will last 200,000 miles whether you use 0W20 or 15W50. Just think how many Hondas speced for 10W30 went 200,000 miles with 20W50 because "Thats what you put in 4-Cylinders".

Last edited:
@ Mazda3LA: Thanks for that link...Stupid me, I should have looked on the M3Forums. Great thread with a lot of good information.

I was going to go M1, but now I'm thinking of going PP.

@ Gene: Good thinking....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back