1998 F-150 E-40D (4R100) Mobil 1 Syn ATF 57K

Status
Not open for further replies.
1998 F-150 5.4L w/ E40D (4R100) 57k on fluid/filter. Original fluid/filter changed with M1 Syn. ATF & Motorcraft OEM filter @ 30k. 87K total on truck. Comments? The TAN seems low, but I am not sure...

Aluminum......7/19
Chromium......0/0
Iron..........81/126
Copper........135/133
Lead..........42/53
Tin...........7/6
Moly..........0/1
Nickel........2/4
Manganese.....0/4
Silver........0/0
Titanium......0/0
Potassium.....0/0
Boron.........91/92
Silicon.......6/17
Sodium........12/14
Calcium.......318/341
Magnesium.....2/15
Phosphorus....257/227
Zinc..........19/61
Barium........1/9
Viscosity.....44.6
Flashpoint....405
Water.........0
Insolubles....0
TAN...........0.6

jscott,

Thank you for posting UOA for ATF. I wish we would have more reports on ATFs. I'm not an expert on UOAs, but I think that your report is very good. Copper and Iron could have been lower, but considering 57k miles on ATF this is excellent. Al posted an ATF (M1) report some time ago on his Sentra. It seems like Mobil does shear down a bit, but stays relatively stable after shear dowm. ATF's 5.7 cSt viscosity at 100c and 57k miles on it is absolutely great. Looks like Mobil is giving a very good protection and drain interval in your truck. I would just stay with it. TAN is very low (which is good for ATF) only .6 I think the limit is 2 or 3. How lond this ATF was in service?

Regards,

Thanks for the feedback. This fluid was in service for 57k. It was changed at 30k from factory and I also changed the filter. The system holds 16 qts and includes a tranny cooler, as part of the trailer tow pkg. I was able to replace about 13/16 qts with the change, so there were about 3 qts leftover that ran the entire 87k.

The only thing I am concerned about is the lead number. I hope the higher number was residula from break-in.

Tranny was refilled with same fluid and filter was changed again. I plan to pull a sample in about 10k and check again.

Only the 4R70W uses Mercon V. All 4r100's use Mercon. You'll fry your clutch pack if you use V in a 4R100.

Mobil I is a full synthetic trans fluid and meets the Mercon/Dexron III specs. It is not dual rated, just as listed. It is the fluid for the E40D/4R100.

I recommend that you continue to use Mobil I as it is doing the job. I do change mine every 30K using synthetic as I do tow very heavy with both trucks. There are other trans fluids that also meet the Ford requirements in this trans, Schaeffer's semi-synthetic, Royal Purple Max Gear. Amsoil also has a new fluid that meets the Mercon/Dexron III specs and IS NOT dual rated with the Mercon/Mercon V.

cheers.gif

OK, got that. My truck as the 4R70W trans, that's probably what stood out in my mind. You think the Mercon V is a better fluid? I haven't really seen or been advised to switch to any other type of ATF other than the Mercon V. Heard these tranmissions are really picky about their fluids and with the 4R70W, you need to change it out every 30K or it won't last long.

4R70Ws love Mercon V. Especially if you have torque convertor shutter.

Mobil1 ATF is full synthetic? I thought only AMSOIL and Redline were full syn ATFs.

Yes, never use dual rated ATF is a 4R100. That's according to FoMoCo.

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
OK, got that. My truck as the 4R70W trans, that's probably what stood out in my mind. You think the Mercon V is a better fluid? I haven't really seen or been advised to switch to any other type of ATF other than the Mercon V. Heard these tranmissions are really picky about their fluids and with the 4R70W, you need to change it out every 30K or it won't last long.

You sure asked a good question and the number of possible answers are variable. First of all the Full Synthetic Mobil I and the Royal Purple Max ATF cannot be used to replace Mercon V. They are only for the Mercon rated transmissions.

Now your options change, first is the Ford Motorcraft Mercon V from the Dealer, but you could buy a new truck cheaper, so another that meets the Mercon V is the Pennzoil, and Amsoil. Now the weird part, for this tranny, you can have Mercon/Dexron III and Mercon V ratings on the bottle, it can be dual rated. Confused yet, sorry, really trying to help.
smile.gif

The real reason for the Mercon V was to help prevent TQ shudder and a higher heat range for the fluid. Not all Mercon V rated trans fluids are Full Syn. There are other fluids available, Lubegard has an additive you can add to Mercon and make it Mercon V, not my personal choice, but seems to work for some.

cheers.gif

I've learned from some of the F150 sites that the M1 atf doesn't hold up as well or as long as the Mercon V, which is synthetic. Curious as to why you went with M1.

Confused???? BINGO! You got it. I surely don't want to go with the dual all-in-one rated stuff. Members at f150.net claim to have had problems with any other fluid other than the Mercon V stuff. I was just curious if anyone else here had tried something different or if there was a newer fluid recently on the market. Appreciate the info and lessons!!!! SAAA-LUTE
cheers.gif

I use a dual rated fluid in my previous and current trucks.

The previous vehicle was a '97 Ford F150 with the 4r70w. From the factory, it used Mercon (NOT Mercon V). The switch to Mercon V occured sometime during the '98 model year.

I used Valvoline Durablend ATF (Dexron/Mercon/Mercon V rated), on a 30,000 mile interval. I sold the truck at 163,000 miles running like a top.

My '99 F150 with the 4r70w also uses the Valvoline Durablend ATF. This tranny requires Mercon V. I just did a filter (Wix) and fluid change (just over 12 quarts) over the weekend (at 99,000 miles). Tranny shifts the same as it always has since new.

Its worked for me - go figure...

I'd be interested on how it holds up. You are the first one that I know of that has jumped ship and tried something other than Mercon V.

Mercon V was retro spec'd to the earlier models with the 4R70W if you experienced the shudder. It is safe to use a multi spec fluid in the 4R70W but not the other way around. 4R100's can't use Mercon V, but 4R70W's can use Mercon.

I've used the Valvoline Durablend Multi Spec. since 35K. I now have 98K and 3 changes with absolutely no issues and the fluid always looks fresh when pumped out.

John

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
I'd be interested on how it holds up. You are the first one that I know of that has jumped ship and tried something other than Mercon V.

No, I am still using a Mercon V rated fluid.

As far as it holding up, I would think after running it for 133,000 miles in my '97 and 69,000 miles in my '99 I'd know if it didn't hold up in what many folks consider to be too weak of a tranny for these trucks...
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back