GY Assurance Fuel Max - Updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any of you running Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires? I'm starting to tire-shop for the Buick since my Pirelli P4's are down to 5/32nds after 72k miles, and I'll need a new set in the next several months before they totally kick the bucket. The Assurance Fuel Maxes are high on the list due to their lower rolling resistance and affordability. I'm not concerned about winter since this car has a full set of snow tires.

Anything good/bad/ugly to know about these tires?

Dunno the fuel max. I've run the GACT and the GYACT Tourings. I would think the Tourings would be my preference on that car. Keep up with your rotations so you can get a pro rated credit when they don't last the warranty period. Hope this helps.

Tire Rack rates the Michelin HydroEdge with Green X at 8.3 and the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max at 7.2.

The Michelin has a 90,000 mile warranty. The Goodyear has a 65,000 mile warranty.

If it were my vehicle, I'd go with the Michelins.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Any of you running Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires? I'm starting to tire-shop for the Buick since my Pirelli P4's are down to 5/32nds after 72k miles, and I'll need a new set in the next several months before they totally kick the bucket.

Down here in So Cal we don't looking for replacement until the tread went down to 2/32 if it was beginning of summer, because we have no rain from around May until Nov-Dec.

Since you guys up North have rain in summer and snow in winter, your tires are needed to have more than 3/32" tread left.

I'm thinking early September for new tires since I'll be driving a lot more then, and we are at risk for ice/snow starting mid-November. Like I said, I have snow tires for the true winter, but knowing a tire can handle a freak snowstorm before the snows go on is good to know. This past spring the Pirellis needed to deal with 5" of snow 2 weeks after my snows came off.

The Michelins are much more expensive than the Goodyears. I wouldn't have a problem paying the extra for a truly superior tire, if it is in fact superior.

EDIT: Looking at TireRack's test results, there's a large difference between the Goodyears and Michelins in braking distances. Knowing myself, I'll take the Michelins that stopped 10 feet shorter from 50 mph both wet and dry. That's superiority that outweighs the higher initial purchase price, IMO. 10 feet is the difference between missing the deer and a direct hit.

Last edited:
you start to lose snow traction below 6/32 and hydroplane resistance below 4/32

Or so I read somewhere... maybe tirerack.com.. they do want to sell you tires.

These are getting low enough where they'll get through a NY summer just fine, and need replacing once the weather starts turning rainier/cooler in the fall. I'd hate to be caught in an early-season snowstorm with still legal but unsafe 3/32nd tires before my very grippy 10/32nds snow tires can be put on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back