TCW3 Definitive Thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I read more and more about the positive reviews with TCW3, is there a definitive thread I should read on here before I try it? I have done a search but I can't really find one. My gut instinct is that an oil like TCW3 will harm the catalytic converter, foul up the spark plugs, and coat the oxygen sensors in soot, but I assume this is not so from the great reviews I am seeing?

Thanks in advance,
Techniker

Oil with TC-W3 burns ashless, so it does not foul anything. See here and here for brief and lengthy reads, respectively. I just bought a pint of SuperTech TC-W3 to try in my Pathfinder today, in fact.

I've put 5oz into a 15 gallon tank to make a 750 to 1, or was it 600 to 1, ratio.
I've done it several times. I figure the extra detergents and lubricating qualities, even in that diluted state, help more than harm.
Out of a gallon jug of Pennzoil Marine Semi Synthetic I have about 1 quart left. Like I said, I have used it off and on over the past 2 years.
This is in a 2002 Ford Taurus, a 1998 F150, and a 2004 Nissan Xterra.
I can't tell a difference when I am driving them.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
I've put 5oz into a 15 gallon tank to make a 750 to 1, or was it 600 to 1, ratio.
I've done it several times. I figure the extra detergents and lubricating qualities, even in that diluted state, help more than harm.
Out of a gallon jug of Pennzoil Marine Semi Synthetic I have about 1 quart left. Like I said, I have used it off and on over the past 2 years.
This is in a 2002 Ford Taurus, a 1998 F150, and a 2004 Nissan Xterra.
I can't tell a difference when I am driving them.

That is 384:1 which is a bit too much

TCW3 works best at about 1 ounce to 5 gallons of fuel. TCW3 is a lot less forgiving than MMO or Lucas's Fuel System additive. TCW3 can and will foul plugs. When used at 1 ounce/5 gallons of gas it works quite well. I found in older cars it can smooth out an idle. I believe it makes for a better ring seal in older tired engines. In my Aerostar it actually reduced oil consumption slightly, vs. MMO. YMMV

Start with 1 ounce to 5 gallon of fuel as baseline and take it from there. You could tweak it later to see which gives you best results. I will be testing 1 to 7 ratio to see if that is better than the 1 to 5. Do not go any higher concentrate than 1 to 4.

- Vikas

I've been using a mix of TC-W3 with Chevron Techron Fuel system cleaner at each fill up. I usually fill up with 12-14 Gallons of regular unleaded 87 gasoline. My mix is 3 ounces of TC-W3 and 3 ounces of Chevron Techron Fuel system cleaner.

My delivery system is using empty Lucas or Gumout/Regane 6 ounce bottles that I have loaded and stored in my vehicle in a large empty container. When it comes to fill up time....I just add a bottle of the mix to the gas tank and and fill up with gasoline.

When the 6 ounce bottles are empty...I re-fill them from a empty MMO bottle where the mix of 16 ounces of TC-W3 and Chevron Techron has been premixed.

Put ~1.8 oz in my beater's 9 gal tank. Best MPG in this car so far is 38.9 MPG with 60/40 city/highway.

Worst MPG so far is 28.9 MPG in 100% city driving with all trips < 4 miles, "loose" valves, clogged throttle body, [censored] spark plugs, and a stuck open thermostat causing the car to take longer to go into closed-loop.

Guess we'll see if there's any improvement to be had. I'm using Pennzoil Synthetic Blend TCW3.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mongo161
I've been using a mix of TC-W3 with Chevron Techron Fuel system cleaner at each fill up. I usually fill up with 12-14 Gallons of regular unleaded 87 gasoline. My mix is 3 ounces of TC-W3 and 3 ounces of Chevron Techron Fuel system cleaner.

My delivery system is using empty Lucas or Gumout/Regane 6 ounce bottles that I have loaded and stored in my vehicle in a large empty container. When it comes to fill up time....I just add a bottle of the mix to the gas tank and and fill up with gasoline.

When the 6 ounce bottles are empty...I re-fill them from a empty MMO bottle where the mix of 16 ounces of TC-W3 and Chevron Techron has been premixed.

and I'm sure your cat loves you for it................

If the catalytic converter didn't like it, it would throw a code I'd think....sure there may be some "lee way" - it may not throw the code right away...for example...

But from what I understand, TCW-3 is the "poor man's Marvel Mystery Oil"
smile.gif

lubes the fuel system (rail, injectors, pump, etc...), some say it causes the gasoline to "burn hotter" making it actually better at cleaning; particularly cleaning the exhaust....

I've been a big fan of MMO
wink.gif
But may have to give this a shot. Only "caveat" I can see if the awkward size of the bottles lol. MMO's bottles aren't too bad.....but all the TCW-3 bottles are either big jugs, quarts, or awkwardly shaped to get "just that right" angle to pour it clean into the tank
wink.gif

If I've done my research right, the most common ratio seems to be 1 oz. TCW-3 to 5 oz. of gasoline, or 2 oz. TCW-3 to 10 gallons of gasoline.....there are some people claiming "mixing" MMO and TCW-3....but that's a little "too much" IMHO
smile.gif

Oh yea, and just make sure it's a TCW-3 rated additive!
smile.gif
Looking at WM, I found they have a couple different "2 cycle oils" - 3 or so bottles in the auto section alone. A "soft sided" squeeze bottle called "Precise Mix" that I believe is 12 oz...., a "2 Cycle Oil" bottle that is in a 4 oz. bottle, and then they have a 16 oz. bottle (I think...) that is labeled "TCW-3" - that's the one you want.

and then if you go over to the lawn and garden, they got a whole conglomerate over there to choose from too.

They even got a neat little "shorty" Sta-Bil bottle, I believe it was even 4 oz. about the perfect size to hold TCW-3 in a baggie in the trunk lol.

2 stroke oil is a very good lube. A little goes a long way.
TCW3 is better than air cooled 2 stroke oil because it does not reduce octane as much [very minor anyway], and burns cleaner - not as much residue.
But it DOES burn away pretty much ashless.

And like mentioned, don't go too heavy with your dose.
It will lube and seal.

The answer to your needs : http://www.csgnetwork.com/oilfuelcalc.html This is a oil / gas ratio calculator which makes easy work of pouring the right ammount of TCW-3 with what ever amount of gas your vehicle holds. I have found the following 3 ratios work best (depending on the vehicle engine ) 640:1 , 768:1 , 896:1 . I start with 640:1 and then adjust until the best gas mileage is achieved with smoothest engine rev . V8's and V6's seem to be better with the lower 640:1 ratio while 4 cylinders can be more finicky and do better with 768:1 or 896:1 ratios - after a while you will get the hang of it . * Tips: Buy a 1 qrt. bottle of TCW-3 from AAP , AZ , etc. and use until empty saving the bottle . Then buy Walmart Super Tech gal. jug of TCW-3 (best price) and fill the empty 1 qrt container of TCW-3 you have saved ( to make measuring out oil easier). In the Walmart house wares dept. buy a small 5 oz. glass beaker to more easily measure out the oil you need (from 1 qrt. bottle) using a approx. 4" X 5" piece of paper and scotch tape to make a disposable funnel with . I also save used Techron or Lucas 5 ~ 6 oz. fuel additive containers to actually fill & transfer the TCW-3 to vehicles gas tank . Depending on vehicles gas tank and oil to gas ratio used it will be any where from 2.5 oz ~ 6 oz. of TCW-3 added . Again , use the link for the on-line calculator - it makes easy work of finding the right ratio !!

I use empty 6 oz bottle of Regane (Lucas would do too). I have marked it outside with 1 oz increments. I put the necessary amount from the TCW-3 quart bottle in to the empty Regane bottle. You have to be little careful during the transfer but it can be done without spilling or making any sticky mess. For last year, I have been using 1 oz to 5 gal but now I am trying 1 oz to 7 gal.

I have tried using funnel but then I have to handle the sticky funnel.

- Vikas

[/quote]
Originally Posted By: mechtech2

TCW3 is better than air cooled 2 stroke oil because it does not reduce octane as much [very minor anyway], and burns cleaner - not as much residue.

TCW3 is designed to make the EPA folks happy. It is in no way equal to TC air cooled rated oil in terms of protection. TCW3 is cleaner, yes, better protection, no. The octane reduction is irrelevant since most racers tend to run a richer mixture of oil for more power and protection.

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic

TCW3 is designed to make the EPA folks happy. It is in no way equal to TC air cooled rated oil in terms of protection. TCW3 is cleaner, yes, better protection, no.

No one is talking about better protection. We are talking about using 1:500 TCW3 in 4-cycle engine, TWC3 is better, because will clean. TC will foul combustion chambers in 4-cycle engine.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

No one is talking about better protection. We are talking about using 1:500 TCW3 in 4-cycle engine, TWC3 is better, because will clean. TC will foul combustion chambers in 4-cycle engine.

If not for better protection then why are you running it with gasoline? At 500:1, no oil is going to foul an engine that is still within specs. TCW3 is not going to clean anything in your engine. It provides a top end lube and that is about it. TC is in every way better than TCW3 except for the environment. If it was not for the EPA there would not be any TCWx oils.

If not for better protection then why are you running it with gasoline? At 500:1, no oil is going to foul an engine that is still within specs. TCW3 is not going to clean anything in your engine. It provides a top end lube and that is about it. TC is in every way better than TCW3 except for the environment. If it was not for the EPA there would not be any TCWx oils.

Why don't you read this recent thread, especially the last posts: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2199335#Post2199335

BTW, no one can stop you from running TC in your engine.

Look luck.

TC is in every way better than TCW3 except for the environment. If it was not for the EPA there would not be any TCWx oils.

Read this:

Quote:
Low Ash type detergent/dispersants are used in most API-TC, Jasco FC and ISO GC certified 2-stroke oils. These oils are designed for air-cooled high performance engines that operate under severe load/temperature conditions. Low Ash detergents can keep the deposits to a minimum at ring land temperatures as high as 400 deg/f. These detergents are manufactured from compounds of Calcium and Magnesium (heavy metals). After these compounds (Calcium Phenate or Magnesium Phenate) do their job, they burn away, forming a heavy metal salt (ash) that is swept away during the normal combustion process. Hence, this is where the name Ash-type detergent comes from. Ash type detergents depend on the higher combustion temperatures (787 and 951 engines) to keep the resulting ash swept out. Therefore, the use of these high performance oils in outboard or other mildly tuned 2-stroke engines is not recommended. Some manufacturers are using a combination of detergent types (Ashless and Low Ash) to provide a broader range of uses for their oil. It is important to note that oil designed to meet TCW3 specs. only (Ashless) will not protect an engine requiring API-TC (Low Ash) type oil. The converse is also true. Using a Low Ash oil in an engine designed for an Ashless type oil only could result in fouled plugs and gummy combustion chambers.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

Youre joking about TC in autos, right?

We are looking for an UCL that will leave a slight oil coating on surfaces, stabilize the fuel and provide some cleanliness without eaving any ash to damage catalytic converters...

For which TCW3 is perfect. Ash in my converter? Yeah right!

The story might be different in a 2-cycle unit, water or air cooled... but were talking apples to oranges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back