'07 Ford Fusion With Factory Copper plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
I just thought I'd share my experience on changing the plugs out on my '07 Ford Fusion 3.0L.

The car currently has 32K miles on it. I bought it used from a dealer with just under 15K miles back in '08. Now, I know this car specs high mileage plugs from the factory, AWSF-32WN. This is according to my factory service manual, the Ford parts website, and every store I checked. I removed Motorcraft AWSF-32N. It was a standard copper electrode plug, and it was pretty worn, rounded over. Gap was about .060". Spec is .052-.056". I was surprised, to say the least. And I'm glad I decided to change them.
FYI, I was changing them because I had to do a TSB on a camshaft tic noise, so I figured while I was in this deep, I'd just change them and be good for another 60K or so.

Odd they are not dual platinum autolites.This is a Duratec V6? I LOVED the duratec 2.5 six shooter in my old '95 contour with a 5M stick.
Maybe you can help, I'm freaking a bit since my My new Ford 2.3 ranger has an intermittent tappet clank (more than a tick) or maybe a timing chain slap. But I'm thinking a sticky Exhaust valve is trying to rectify itself since it is accompanied by an engine roll, bad cylinder balance and loss of torque. Any guesses on this? Engine soundd like a warm diesel at idle but noise comes and goes, it's more there when hot than cold. The new engine only has 600 miles. I assume there is no evap purge solenoid that is this rackety - this has a very metallic clank.

Good luck on the 3.0.

Last edited:
Your engine most likely has been worked on, to what extent who knows. Are you sure the engine in your car is the original engine that came from the factory? Something fishy about the plugs.

Fishy like a flood car(?!) I hope not for the OP's sake. I bought a flood car unknowingly once - a black beauty '93 Lincoln MKViii with the DOHC INTECH Cobra engine, 20K on the odo and rusted seat springs, dash supports and trashed body ECU. The pre- OBDii entech had BIG power, the later ones were wimpy.

Last edited:
It is the Duratec V6. Excellent engine. I am quite sure it hasn't been worked on; the previour owner bought it and had it serviced at the same dealer I bought it from. I had to remove the upper intake to get to the rear plugs, and there were no signs of anything ever having been removed.

I bought it with a little over 14K miles on it; every clip, every fastener, every connection looked factory fresh. All the engine mounting hardware etc. still has the QC inspectors mark across them. I ran a Carfax before I bought it, and it went from Ford, to the dealer, to the 1st owner, back to the dealer, and then to me. I am a mechanic by trade; this was factory.

All I can figure is someone at Ford grabbed the wrong plugs. Who knows. Surprised me.

ETA: Arco, I know the 3.0L's had a camshaft tick noise, TSB 08-3-10 I believe. I have heard about noises on the 2.5's, but have never seen a TSB. sorry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back