what kind of oil to use 10w-30, 10w-40, 5w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi. i have honda civic lx year 2000 with 233000 miles write now on odometer.i'am using 10w-30 hm mobil 1 synthethic for about 30000 miles, i switch from regular to synthetic.i'am not shure should i stay with 10w-30 or should i switch to 10w-40 or 5w-40, because is thicker than 10w-30 with this mileage.i did a head job on motor at 220000 miles, it was heating, and now everything is fine. i was thinking should i come back to dino oil, because i can't see much difference between synthetic and dino on my car, it's get dirty around 4000 miles synthetic oil. i don't know why some companies say for e.g mobil 1 synthetic extended performance change around 15000 miles, that's balooney for me, i bought that oil ,but before i pour inside engine i did motor flush+ i add 3 liters of some off brand synthetic oil to clean the engine and than i add that oil , and get dirty around 4000-5000 miles. i also try castrol edge full synthetic same thing they last about same 4-5k miles. my car it doesn't burn oil, only if if black completly than burning. if you can give me some advice, thanks.........

10W-30 conventional will be fine in that engine in LA.

Just buy what is on sale, and change it every 4-5k miles.

Seriously, don't over-think oil in Honda Civics - they are genuinely very, very easy on oil.

Unless it is VERY dirty, don't be too concerned with darkness of the oil.
For 4-5K, I'd use dino. Pennzoil is good, as are others.
Consider a 5-30, it is thiner when cold/cool than 10-30 [an advantage].

Yea you can't really trust the darkness of the oil as how dirty it is, some oils are just "darker" than others. PYB for example, is near translucent/transparent on my dipstick lol.....kind of ticks me off, so hard to see where the level is at
wink.gif

What's your manual say? I'm guessing for "Normal" service, it's got a schedule of OCI every 7-8k with either an API SL or SM rated oil.....provided you aren't racing the engine, driving through death valley every day (dusty, muddy areas, etc....), you should be OK running any oil 7-8k in that engine.

And [censored], if you wanna get daring, get an used oil analysis at 7k using your "trusted" oil, and if the report comes back, see how the oil held up. Also serves to make sure you aren't losing minute coolant/water or fuel in your oil too......as that could degrade the oil as well, particularly if you're looking at extended drains.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Unless it is VERY dirty, don't be too concerned with darkness of the oil.
For 4-5K, I'd use dino. Pennzoil is good, as are others.
Consider a 5-30, it is thiner when cold/cool than 10-30 [an advantage].

+1....agree

5w30 would also be my choice for a Civic. You might consider a blended oil.....such as Motorcraft 5w30 (with a 5000 OCI). It has a good reputation here on BITOG....and priced competitively with quality conventionals.

The Purolator Classic filter should work perfectly with the above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back