Audi TT 2.0T 2008 recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I just bought a 2008 TT and I was wondering which oil would be optimal for me ? Here's my info :

Audi TT 2008 2.0 turbo TFSI, DSG
The manual says to use 5w40, but if not available, 5w30 or 0w40 is good too as a long as they all meet or exceed VW 502 00
I like in Quebec so winters are really cold (-20 to -30 C) but summers are hot (+30C)
I normally drive easy, I don't rev really high, always in the 2k-3k range, and I almost never do speeding, always 60-70mph. Sometimes I'll stomp the gas or do 80-100 mph, or do hard pulls like 0-60s or pass someone, but it's only ocassional, I always baby my car. I usually let it idle under 1k when I start it up before I go.
So I drive about 60 miles per day on the highway and 5 miles in city on weekdays. Week-ends are random, lot of highway and a lot of city, generally 150 mixed miles.

I was looking at Royal Purple oil or Mobil 1 but I heard mixed things about RP. Also it says Castrol Synthec on my oil cap if that matters. Also, should I use a thinner oil during winter? Thanks for the help!

For year-round use, one of your best bets on the VW 502/505 approval list is Mobil 1 0w40. You could also consider Castrol Syntec 0w30. Both are available at most auto parts stores.

Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra in 5w40 are great too, but might be harder to find at stores. They are also VW 502/505 approved.

Don't bother switching oils when it gets cold, all of these oils are fine to well below zero.

I recently purchased a Jetta 2.0T which is the same engine in your Audi. It is possible they made a slight change from '07 to '08 in the engine, but the engine oil specs are the same - VW 502 00

Google VW 502 00 or do a search on this site and you will get the full approved list. In reality, you will have a hard time finding 90% of these oils.

I am far from an expert on euro spec'd oils, but as I've learned, I have narrowed it down to these based upon availability at popular retail spots like Canadian Tire, Walmart, etc,.

Castrol Syntec 5w-40 - which is what most likely came as factory fill and what your dealer will use if you go to them.

Castrol Syntec 0W-30 AKA German Castrol - This oil almost has a cult like following and is made in Germany. Read all about it here in the German Castrol FAQ on BITOG http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...t=34&page=1

Mobil 1 0W-40 Good oil getting good reports.

Pennzoil 5W-40 good oil from what I've read, but is hard to find. I found one place that sells it in Ottawa, but at $17.00 a litre bottle!!!!! I promptly passed.

In my 2.0T the dealership just did an OC and used Syntec 5W-40. My next OC, I have chosen to give German Castrol 0W-30 a go based upon all the reading I've done. If I like it I'll stick with it, otherwise M1 0w-40 is next on the list.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys!

I have a quick question though. Why are all the oils recommended here "cheap"? I mean it's the kind of oil I'd never buy for a nice car with a turbo, but I'm not saying I disagree, just wondering why do you choose oils from Wal-Mart opposed to oils like Gulf or Motul ?

I'll chime in here. None of these oils are that cheap. They can be had cheaply on sale, but that's hit or miss. I've found, in my experience, that prices does not always equal quality.

Mobil1 0w40 is $4.99/qt right now at NAPA. Regularly $8.49/qt when not on sale. Not super cheap in my mind. However, it is possibly the best oil Mobil makes and a deal even at regular price.

Use any of the suggestions with confidence. They are all solid.

Right, I was just wondering, cause everyone around me is suddenly an expert in engine oils now that I'm nosing around, searching for a good oil and they all have their "secret weapon" and they always recommend me those out of price and hard as heck to find brands. Is it all a marketing scheme then ? Why are some oils so pricey while you could get another just as good for half the price?

Last edited:
All the recommended oils in this thread are all top notch quality oils, with the bonus of being widely available for the most part at average prices for synthetic oils, with the exception of the Pennzoil at $17.00!

Originally Posted By: 24HourClock

I have a quick question though. Why are all the oils recommended here "cheap"? I mean it's the kind of oil I'd never buy for a nice car with a turbo, but I'm not saying I disagree, just wondering why do you choose oils from Wal-Mart opposed to oils like Gulf or Motul ?

Oils have changed quite a bit in the last 10-15 years, and many of these "cheap" oils are now pretty well made. Worry less about where you buy it and more about what's in the bottle.

BTW, RP is very good oil, also found at WM
smile.gif

My choice for your rig? You couldn't go wrong with M1 0W-40, watch for sales and stock up
thumbsup2.gif

I bought GC 0W-30, it was on sale at Canadian Tire, 7$ for a qt. I was hoping to buy M1 but could never find it. Maybe next time.

And thanks guys for the tips!

Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog

Pennzoil 5W-40 good oil from what I've read, but is hard to find. I found one place that sells it in Ottawa, but at $17.00 a litre bottle!!!!! I promptly passed.

Well, if you want pretty much the same thing, I can tell you where to get Quaker State "Euro" 5W-40 for about $3.99 USD a quart. I believe you can order Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40 from the site by the case, but have no idea if they'll ship to Canada..

To the O.P., it's hard to go wrong with Mobil 1 0W-40 or "German" Castrol SYNTEC 0W-30...

Last edited:
Although I'm a recent Pennzoil Ultra convert (previously been using M1 for 11-12 years). I would probably prefer M1 0w40 or Pennzoil Ultra 5w-40 in your car. Pennzoil Platinum 5w40 or Castrol Syntec 5w40 would work just as good.

I'd be more inclined to use M1 0w40 because it's more readily available and often cheaper than other oils listed.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

Well, if you want pretty much the same thing, I can tell you where to get Quaker State "Euro" 5W-40 for about $3.99 USD a quart. I believe you can order Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40 from the site by the case, but have no idea if they'll ship to Canada..

To the O.P., it's hard to go wrong with Mobil 1 0W-40 or "German" Castrol SYNTEC 0W-30...

I'm definitely curious to where I can get the Euro QS for that price. I don't even know where to begin to find the stuff in the first place. I just saw my first SN VOA of one of the Xw30 Mobil 1 and was contemplating going to Rotella 5w40.

Originally Posted By: 24HourClock

Because they have proven track records and carry manufacturer approvals. Do not equate expensive with good in motor oils.

To be frank I have been running the $12/qt Motul 300V oil in my Audi S4 and it's not really doing much better than it did on the $6/qt Lubro-Moly stuff from NAPA. It may not have thinned as much but it's by no means hurting the engine.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

I have never seen QS Euro and I checked out the US Pennzoil site...they do not list Canadian provinces and the Canadian Pennzoil site does not have the ship option. So.....I refuse to dig any harder as it is perfectly clear Pennzoil is not interested in selling me this product as they make it very hard , darn near impossible to find and the one I did is outrageously priced. Like you said it's hard to go wrong with Mobil 1 0W-40 or "German" Castrol SYNTEC 0W-30, which I purchasing the later.

Too bad really, As I am a loyal Pennzoil fan
frown.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back