Looking for a new "crusier"

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad is looking for a new car and is wanting some opinions about what people like, don't like, and would never buy again. He does onsite sales so spends most of the day in the car traveling ~150mi a day. His current vehicle is a 1999 Buick Park Avenue with 270k that is slowly dying.

He is looking for something '08-10 that gets 25-30mpg on the highway. He would prefer something comparable in size to his Buick. I'm thinking something like an Impala would be a decent ride. Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP
My dad is looking for a new car and is wanting some opinions about what people like, don't like, and would never buy again. He does onsite sales so spends most of the day in the car traveling ~150mi a day. His current vehicle is a 1999 Buick Park Avenue with 270k that is slowly dying.

He is looking for something '08-10 that gets 25-30mpg on the highway. He would prefer something comparable in size to his Buick. I'm thinking something like an Impala would be a decent ride. Thoughts?

As much as I make fun of the W-bodies for being out of date and out of style, they do make nice freeway cars.
Impala is a nice choice. Should get similar or better mileage and he's already used to GM type controls so it won't take too terribly long to adapt. Maybe an '08 Grand Prix if he can find one that is low-mileage/well maintaned.

The current Taurus is my pick, but it's going to be quite a bit more expensive than your average Impala.

Chevy Malibu, Ford Fusion, Hyundai Genesis

If he doesn't mind something on the sporty side and would extend to a 2011 the Mustang V6 would be at the top of my list.

Nothing rides like a Buick. If he is used to a Buick, I don't think he will like anything else. I've sold tons of Buicks, and most owners find it hard to switch. I would try to find an older Buick with lower miles. As you can see from your dad's current ride, 200,000 plus miles is no problem for the 3800 engine and fuel economy (and ride) is excellent.

My Camry rode like a Buick. It would get low-30s on the road easily. Even the V-6 ones get upper 20s. That was such a quiet and comfortable ride. The 2010 models have the better AR-series engine. That's probably the most refined 4-cylinder I've ever experienced. Unless you were really listening for the 4-cylinder buzz, you could confuse it with a small V-6.

I know it's kind of a broken record around here...but, what about the Grand Marquis? My dad, a Civic Hybrid owner, prefers them when renting for long trips. He likes them because the front seat is a couch and it can get 30 MPG while doing 65 MPH on the highway. If Ford ever made a 4 cylinder EcoBoost Panther car, he'd probably buy it.

As a couple others mentioned though, why not a new Buick? He got 270K out of the last one, so I'm sure he liked it. A Lucerne or Lacrosse would probably be a good car for him.

Lincoln Town Car (or Grand Marquis/Crown Victoria), look no further. The 2003+ vehicles are also well capable of excellent highway mileage to the tune of 30 MPG. Switch to synthetic axle lube with a bit of MoS2 and it gets even sweeter.

Ever thought about a panther platform ford? You can get a used Crown Vic or a Grand Marquis for fairly cheap. They are very tough cars and if you drive them about 70mph on the interstate you can get 25mpg. I like them because they are rwd, V8, a true "cruiser," and whenever you need parts, they seem to fall out of the sky lol. There has to be at least a billion 4.6 V8s out on the road! Another choice might be the 2000 to 2006 Taurus. They are fairly good cars too...the vulcan 3.0 is sorta weak, but I took my 95 vulcan powered taurus to 220k with no major problems! Enjoy whatever you choose and best of luck!

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Lincoln Town Car (or Grand Marquis/Crown Victoria), look no further. The 2003+ vehicles are also well capable of excellent highway mileage to the tune of 30 MPG. Switch to synthetic axle lube with a bit of MoS2 and it gets even sweeter.

I agree with that!

I am going to have to stop recommending the Panther cars because if I keep recommending them there will not be any left for me [or anyone in my family] in a few years..I hardly see any for sale down here more..There are tons of them down here but the owners have no intention of selling them.

Down here all the P71'S go to taxi fleets or kids who just got their drivers license..When the kids come to the health club you would think a police convention is going on inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back