Leather seat Care

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is a good product to use to condition leather seats? Looking for something to use on older seats to keep the leather from drying out

I have Zymol Leather Condition but wondered if there is better product

First. You HAVE to clean the leather.

Use WARM water and Woolite detergent. 3 parts water, 1 part Woolite.

Scrub the seats with a sponge or brush and that soultion.

Then wipe down with warm water and a rag.

Then dry with a towel.

THEN, you can use a protector like Zymol.

If you go over the counter (most of it is junk FYI)- I recommend Megs gold class "cleaner" skip the conditioner. Its probably the only cleaner I have used that actually cleans. (It was just released this year and is in a large spray bottle)

To be clear NOT Megs' Gold class cleaner/conditioner 2 in 1 as I felt I was applying a grease ball.

Part of the reason a lot of pros don't recommend a conditioner is that many attract dirt and the dirt is what wears the leather out.

It is debated on detailer forums as much as we debate oil here...

If you can afford it, Leatherique is bar none amazing. Its a heavy oil you apply to the seats and then let sit for a couple hours in sun light/in a hot car. The oil lifts the dirt right off- then you wipe up - smells awful going on but taking it off the leather smells new.

Anyone here ever try Mr Leather? I might give it a go.

The best I`ve used so far is the Armor All leather protectant spray. I`ve tried 3 different Meguiar`s and Lexol. Hated those. They turned my car`s black leather white and chaulky.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rg200amp

This is the Woolite liquid laundry detergent,and not the foam carpet cleaner,right? Does this method work better than a leather/vinyl cleaner?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

This is the Woolite liquid laundry detergent,and not the foam carpet cleaner,right? Does this method work better than a leather/vinyl cleaner?

Yep, the liquid laundry detergent. I use Woolite HE (high efficiency) diluted about 20:1 to clean vinyl and leather. You just have to make sure to rinse when your done so it doesn't leave any residue. Works great and it's cheap.

I just shampooed my driver`s seat with the extra gentle formula Woolite and I must say that it blows away any auto leather cleaner I`ve ever tried. You wouldn`t believe how much dirt came off! Leather was super soft afterwards. I put a tiny bit of Woolite in a bucket of water,used a Kiwi shoe shine brush to scrub it down (very gently),and then an old t-shirt to wipe it all off. I then conditioned it with some Mr Leather spray.

First. You HAVE to clean the leather. Use WARM water and Woolite detergent. 3 parts water, 1 part Woolite. Scrub the seats with a sponge or brush and that soultion. Then wipe down with warm water and a rag. Then dry with a towel. THEN, you can use a protector like Zymol.

+1 I do something similiar using Lexol leather cleaner. I use about a liter of very warm water in a bucket and a small horsehair brush. Dip the brush in the bucket to wet it. Spray the brush lightly with the cleaner and rub the leather in circles with the brush. Then add a bit more water to let it foam up a bit. Then wipe it dry with a clean white towel. Gets the leather really clean.

I don't use the Lexol leather conditioner however, since the leather in my car is top coated. I use a water soluble treatment instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back