Tire pressure??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am confused about what tire pressure to use in new tires I have put on 2001 Nissan Pathfinder. The door sticker reads for this size tire 26 lbs. The tire reads maximum pressure 44 lbs. The tire shop has put 36 lbs in the tires.

So what do I do? What should the actual air pressure be in the tires??

It should be what the car manufacturer recommends. Remember that the tire could be on a zillion different vehicles.

Start with door sticker (26) and adjust upwards as needed for your load and speed. I think 26 is a bit low, unless you're only driving around town and prioritize ride comfort. Your owner's manual may have a number to add (like 4 PSI) for high speed or for fully loaded. 32-36 is a good range to balance wear, handling, economy and traction. I run 32 - 35 (depending on load) in my 4Runner. Check them cold.

Never exceed sidewall, that's a tire design limit and, as DPARM says, has nothing to do with your particular vehicle application. Too high a pressure reduces puncture resistance, increases center tread wear and can reduce traction, particularly under braking.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! I think I will just lower the pressure to 30. This car does not usually go further than 20 miles round trip and does not do that constantly.

Once again thanks for the replies!!

My Nissan Navara (D22 Frontera ??) has 255/70-16, and is admittedly a truck, but shares a lot with the earlier pathfinders, has 32 all round for "normal" use, and 35 front, 38 rear for high speed/load.

We live in a rural area, so 65 MPH is just about every time the vehicle is out, and being a ute, it can be loaded any day.

I run 36 front 38 rear...if I run the "normal"front pressures, I get abnormal outer edge wear (probably the around town tight parking that the better half gets up to.

If the current pressure is 36 PSI cold you want to leave it as is and drive for a week to see how the handling/performance, ride, noise ... then reduce all tires down 2 PSI to 34 PSI cold and drive another week, then reduce another 2 PSI and drive another week ... after the tires are down to 30 PSI cold, you should find a pressure that matches your expectation of handling/performance, ride ... It should be between 30 and 36 PSI. I'm with Astro14, 26 PSI seems too low for handling/performance but the ride should be very soft.

Sounds good. Check 'em once a month at least, tires lose about one PSI every month...and pressure changes about 1 degree PSI for every 10 degree temperature change (back to high school physics...PV=nRT).

underinflated tires are a hazard...

A few years ago many manufacturers were pushing the envelope as far as how low they could go for ultimate ride comfort.

After a few got into hot water due to deaths caused from blowouts (at only 2-3 psi below spec) many manufacturers upped the pressure.

As others have stated I think you will find the vehicle handles better at 30-36 psi. Higher pressures will usually give better fuel mileage and reduced tendency to aquaplane.

While you're not racing the Nissan, here is how racers set up the cars. It's an informative article, as it talks about optimization, and reinforces what Astroturf and others have said: http://www.turnfast.com/tech_handling/handling_pressure

Note this part of the article:
(Note: use the car manufacturer's recommended tire pressure as the baseline. Many service and oil change stations with poorly trained techs will pump tires up to pressure stated on the tire side wall. Hello! That's the maximum setting, not the recommended setting. Watch out for those guys!)

Cheers,
Astro

For normal road use, typically 30-32psi is the good start to try if the original placard recommend less than that. In light vehicle, the traction may suffer but the overall most responsive handling may justify the less traction.

I always adjust my tire PSI according to my liking and driving style. If for example, if my door jamb place card says...F:30 R:30, this is only my baseline PSI. I'll adjust from there according to my BUTT! Which could be F:32 R:29. Mainly because there really isn't much weight in the rear to warrant more air and could make the rear tires "thump" over little ruts/expansion joints. And I don't like that! It's all up to the owner. Always start with the MFG's recomendation and go from there in small increments.

Typicaly(according to the tire place card) I like a bit more in the front tires and, equal or less in the rear.

Now, if I'm loading the trunk/hatch with luggage for a vacation trip, I'll add a bit more to the rear tires, maybe to match the front. But, this could all change!

Play around with your PSI and dial it in for your driving style/comfort and adjust for loads, if any!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I always adjust my tire PSI according to my liking and driving style. If for example, if my door jamb place card says...F:30 R:30, this is only my baseline PSI. I'll adjust from there according to my BUTT! Which could be F:32 R:29. Mainly because there really isn't much weight in the rear to warrant more air and could make the rear tires "thump" over little ruts/expansion joints. And I don't like that! It's all up to the owner. Always start with the MFG's recomendation and go from there in small increments.

Typicaly(according to the tire place card) I like a bit more in the front tires and, equal or less in the rear.

Now, if I'm loading the trunk/hatch with luggage for a vacation trip, I'll add a bit more to the rear tires, maybe to match the front. But, this could all change!

Play around with your PSI and dial it in for your driving style/comfort and adjust for loads, if any!

Great Answer...

Thanks, Jim

Originally Posted By: Astro14
While you're not racing the Nissan, here is how racers set up the cars. It's an informative article, as it talks about optimization, and reinforces what Astroturf and others have said: http://www.turnfast.com/tech_handling/handling_pressure

(Note: use the car manufacturer's recommended tire pressure as the baseline. Many service and oil change stations with poorly trained techs will pump tires up to pressure stated on the tire side wall. Hello! That's the maximum setting, not the recommended setting. Watch out for those guys!)

Cheers,
Astro

Great link, I'm going to have to read it a bunch of times, and get a pyrometer.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Cheers,
Astro

I believe it reinforces that there is a lot to consider in fine-tuning pressure based on desired performance characteristics. A huge point of contention that I see is regarding the sidewall stamped maximum pressure. Those who have no regard to it; those who feel the stamped maximums are arbitrary, based on an interpretation of FMVSS109/FMVSS139, and that a perceived highest allowable for a given size/type of tire is closer to the true maximum; and those who feel that the tire engineers derived the maximum that is stamped based on a host of test data and should therefore not be exceeded at all.

A rule that I have always followed for myself is that the vehicle placard is a recommendation, and should be a minimum, the tire sidewall is the maximum, and in most cases on North American or Asian makes, I will typically go 2-3 psi above placard, without exceeding sidewall, and on European makes, typically use the higher end of the recommended placard range, again without exceeding sidewall. I have never had a compelling reason to explore beyond a known established saftey boundary (i.e. sidewall maximum).

But as someone else stated, the 26 psi recommended for this heavy SUV seems rather low, along the lines of the Explorer/Firestone debacle.

Originally Posted By: weebl
.......But as someone else stated, the 26 psi recommended for this heavy SUV seems rather low, along the lines of the Explorer/Firestone debacle.

I realize that sounds low, but let me give you an example of why you should ignore your "sense".

A P206/60R16 has a load carrying capacity of 1356# at 35 psi. A P225/60R16 has a load carrying capacity of 1609# at 35 psi - BUT - at 26 psi that same tire can hold 1378# - virtually the same as a tire 2 sizes smaller.

So you have to be careful thinking that the pressure specification is low unless you consider the size of the vehicle and the size of the tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back