Castrol Edge 5w30 with Titanium

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, Castrol has updated the PDS for Edge w/Titanium. And for 5w30, it's the glaring -27 deg-F pour point. I don't we should believe that or not, because it's even worse that its own 10w30 (-33 deg-F). How could that happen?!

I wanted to switch away from the Edge, and not looking back.......any recommendations? My car is Mazda3, the engine has flat tappet.

Pennzoil conventional if you are not going synthetic. I think that would be good unless Mazda has some special specifications that that oil is not rated/tested for.

Quote:

don't want to go off-topic.....I've been using 5w30. no faith in 5w20.

I guess I don't wonder why the US does so poorly in science.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

don't want to go off-topic.....I've been using 5w30. no faith in 5w20.

I guess I don't wonder why the US does so poorly in science.

Ok, leave the(gov't)school system out of this
28.gif

I feel your pain. I'm using Edge 0W20, and 5W30 SM formula. Looking at the PDS sheets has me changing brands once my stash is used up. I was hoping there were errors, but I think they took a good product and cheapened it. Hurry up Pennzoil and lets see PU 0W20 soon.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I feel your pain. I'm using Edge 0W20, and 5W30 SM formula. Looking at the PDS sheets has me changing brands once my stash is used up. I was hoping there were errors, but I think they took a good product and cheapened it. Hurry up Pennzoil and lets see PU 0W20 soon.

I am leaning over Pennzoil Ultra 5w30, which has 11 as TBN, HTHS of 3.05, and a -45 deg-C (that's -49 deg-F), these are good for mazda3 engine with flat tappets. Winter in upstate NY gets to -11 deg-F in the morning (The stupid new Edge w/ titanium freezes at -27 deg-F). but I do worry about the NOACK of Pennzoil 5w30 (it's 12%), the new Valvoline synpower 5w30 is now only 7% (but TBN is 8.3 and no HTHS listed, so you'd assume it's just on borderline, 2.9)

Don't you just hate Castrol screwing up the new Edge......

Originally Posted By: windeye

Don't you just hate Castrol screwing up the new Edge......

Yep. The good news is I have enough for 2 more oil changes of the SM spec oil. By that time I'll figure out which oil to switch to.

The Walmart in Orlando, FL had the Gold Castrol Edge, without Titanium, SM, on closeout for about $21 for a 5 quart plus jug. I had picked up 4 Jugs of 5w-30 while there visiting family along with 3 cases of Mobil Super Synthetic 0w-20 at O'Reilly's and a couple of Gallon Jugs of Kendall Diesel Synthetic Blend 15w-40 from a truck stop outside of Jacksonville, FL.

Now that I'm back from the last frontier, Alaska, I will put these oils to good use with the 8 Amazon Valvoline Gallon jugs deals that were delivered last week.

Good to be home but still have a yearning for more travel.

Sorry to bust your bubble, but you're Mazda doesn't have 'flat tappets' in it's valvetrain.

That statement, and your hatred of 20-weights, shows just how ignorant you are. Having an intelligent discussion about oil with you would seem kinda pointless.

Are you sure the car is a Mazda 3 after all this info???? Be my guest trusting Castrol !!
Originally Posted By: windeye
OK, Castrol has updated the PDS for Edge w/Titanium. And for 5w30, it's the glaring -27 deg-F pour point. I don't we should believe that or not, because it's even worse that its own 10w30 (-33 deg-F). How could that happen?!

I wanted to switch away from the Edge, and not looking back.......any recommendations? My car is Mazda3, the engine has flat tappet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back