New Jetta TDI When should first oil change be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously do not listen to half the posters in this thread and don't over think it. These guys will change a perfectly good factory oil at 500 miles because their *grandpa* did or the unicorn glitter they swear they see. Lots of debate on that subject.

This is not up for debate though, not Rotella, not Delvac, not Delo JUST a bottle that says 507 on it.

M1-ESP-front.jpg

First change at 5k, second at 10k, third at 20k, etc....

ONLY USE 507 OILS! TDI's are known to not be fully broken in till 50k miles so changing the oil early now will make little difference in the long run. If you trust the service area of your dealer use the free ones especially for warranty purposes.

These cars have already had their first oil change by the time the engine is put in the car.

Don't bother changing before 10k.

Tim

A few things on VW TDIs and the factory recommendations.

I own a 2006 PD VW TDI. To save my warranty, I made sure I used the recommended 505.01 through 40k. Low and behold, at some point they changed the viscosity on this standard from 5w-40 to 5w-30. Turns out that the 30 weight is not the best choice to protect the TDIs under-engineered cams and tappets. Seems like many cams now need to be replaced at 80k, with a significant correlation to using the 30 weight.

Since 40k, I have been running non-505.01 approved M1 Turbo Diesel Truck. Oil tests have been very good, and I know of no cams faiing using this oil.

Proceed at your own risk.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
Seriously do not listen to half the posters in this thread and don't over think it. These guys will change a perfectly good factory oil at 500 miles because their *grandpa* did or the unicorn glitter they swear they see. Lots of debate on that subject.

This is not up for debate though, not Rotella, not Delvac, not Delo JUST a bottle that says 507 on it.

M1-ESP-front.jpg

First change at 5k, second at 10k, third at 20k, etc....

ONLY USE 507 OILS! TDI's are known to not be fully broken in till 50k miles so changing the oil early now will make little difference in the long run. If you trust the service area of your dealer use the free ones especially for warranty purposes.

You are 100% correct with your oil suggestion. NEVER put any oil in your Common Rail TDI that is not specifically 507 rated!!! I've had our 2011 Jetta SportWagen for 2 months and have spent a lot of time over at TDI Club (a great resource, BTW)learning as much as possible about these cars. The opinion over there is to run the factory fill the full 10,000 miles. I'm still going back and forth on whether to go the full 10k or not. I have picked up a bottle of the Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP to top off the factory fill if I need to but so far it hasn't burned any oil.

Originally Posted By: ruleof72

You are 100% correct with your oil suggestion. NEVER put any oil in your Common Rail TDI that is not specifically 507 rated!!! I've had our 2011 Jetta SportWagen for 2 months and have spent a lot of time over at TDI Club (a great resource, BTW)learning as much as possible about these cars. The opinion over there is to run the factory fill the full 10,000 miles. I'm still going back and forth on whether to go the full 10k or not. I have picked up a bottle of the Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP to top off the factory fill if I need to but so far it hasn't burned any oil.

01.gif

IMO Follow your owner's manual break-in guidelines; once you have met the requirement, change the oil on the vehicle. That way if VW's factory fill was a oil with a friction modifier to allow proper break-in, than your engine will be good to go. If you change it too soon, and before break-in isn't done, some oils are too slick for the engine to break-in properly and may result in reduced engine life/excess oil consumption. On something like this follow what the engineers have laid out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back