I'm looking for a good thin 5W-20 dino oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 4ever4d
Motorcraft 5w-20 or QSUD 5w-20 would be my choice of the 20's.I have used both and can say both work well but as stated don't look for any mpg gain with either.I get about 20.5 mpg out of my old Merc. 4.6L on these oils.

I average 19.5 mpg in a Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 4.7L with PYB SN 5W20 but I doubt that means anything. The primary difference is always going to be the nut behind the wheel.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
OP asked for thinner xW20 oil for his new Tundra to get better MPG, not the "You can afford $30,000+ ...".

Why mockery someone who want to save his hard earn money ?

+1.

Meanwhile, I have a 98 Sienna w/ (apparently) slightly gummed rings. I've seen my oil consumption decrease on 5w20 oils (which I now use). But I got my best mpg on Schaeffers 15w40. (??)

Originally Posted By: 1999cutiger
I may as well go with the one that gives me the best results at the pump.

Good point. You will also feel it when accelerating.

You wont be able to tell any difference between brands of the same weight oil inMPG. Use what the mfg tells you. Dont take a chance by running too light an oil.It is easier to improve mpg other ways.

Originally Posted By: ericthepig
OP asked for thinner xW20 oil for his new Tundra to get better MPG, not the "You can afford $30,000+ ...".

+1.

+2. C'mon folks. While we're pulling out quotes our parents used to say, "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

The man has a Tundra. That's what he wanted and that's what he bought. That's the constant in this equation. Oil visocsity is the variable he's trying to pin down. That's not unreasonable.

I would also use Toyota's 0W-20 in this application. Does that engine use the cartridge filter? If so, the OEM Toyota Denso filters are available from your dealer for about 5 bucks, and can go for any reasonable OCI no problem (including whatever the OEM spec is, 5,000 or 10,000 miles).

If I had the choice of saving $19/year on gasoline or not saving it, I think I'd rather save it.

Originally Posted By: Patman
I'd be more concerned with choosing a 5w20 or 0w20 oil that has a lower viscosity at 40c, compared to choosing one based on it's viscosity at operating temp. I think there is more fuel savings to be had if you can have your oil be a lot thinner during the initial warmup time, where your gas mileage is typically horrible. Of course, the viscosity at operating temp is important too, so if you can find one that is thinner at both 40c and 100c than other oils, then that's a nice bonus.

You have a good point about having a thinner oil during warmup. The type of oil you are describing with lower viscosity at 40C and still has good viscosity at 100C is an oil with high Viscosity Index. The Toyota 0w20 wins in that arena, with a VI of 200+.

I think folks are just pointing out that the OP could save his theoretical $19 annually by also just not driving 56 miles or so and save 5 gallons of fuel. Annually.

Since you brought it up...if you could afford a Porsche, you would drive a 911.

You see, now you've done it.
You made fun of us Porsche drivers, with utter nonsense.

If you have more money than sense, and care about what the Jones' thinks about your vehicle choices, THEN you own (not drive) a 911.

If you are a Driving Enthusiast who has a bad habit that involves Porsche's, you buy a Boxster or a Cayman, and stuff a 911 motor into it, and have a better handling vehicle than the 911, with 911 power, that bolts right in.

Real Porsche Enthusiasts know what combination of parts make for a thrilling driving experience, and not just dump money on a 911.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Patman
I'd be more concerned with choosing a 5w20 or 0w20 oil that has a lower viscosity at 40c, compared to choosing one based on it's viscosity at operating temp. I think there is more fuel savings to be had if you can have your oil be a lot thinner during the initial warmup time, where your gas mileage is typically horrible. Of course, the viscosity at operating temp is important too, so if you can find one that is thinner at both 40c and 100c than other oils, then that's a nice bonus.

Good information. If you really seek to find one of the thinnest 20 wt oils, Chevron's Havoline Synthetic 0W20 has a 40C of 41 and 100C of 8.0. But be warned, it is next to impossible to find it at any store.

When I wrote a complaint letter to the Chevron VP, that I wanted to buy it, couldn't find it, and was going to "defect" to Mobil 1 0W20 - he sent me 12 free quarts of it via a local Chevron sales rep (how nice of him)! Quarts were sitting on my doorstep when I came home from work.

Haven't used any of them yet. Waiting for gas prices to go back significantly over $4/gallon to see if it make any fuel mileage differences.

Originally Posted By: Best F100

Haven't used any of them yet. Waiting for gas prices to go back significantly over $4/gallon to see if it make any fuel mileage differences.

I hope you never get to use that oil...

Yeah I dont understand that one either.

You probably need to go to a synthetic to get a very thin oil that still protect enough, 0w20 from Toyota would be a good place to start.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

Since you brought it up...if you could afford a Porsche, you would drive a 911.

You see, now you've done it.
You made fun of us Porsche drivers, with utter nonsense.

If you have more money than sense, and care about what the Jones' thinks about your vehicle choices, THEN you own (not drive) a 911.

If you are a Driving Enthusiast who has a bad habit that involves Porsche's, you buy a Boxster or a Cayman, and stuff a 911 motor into it, and have a better handling vehicle than the 911, with 911 power, that bolts right in.

Real Porsche Enthusiasts know what combination of parts make for a thrilling driving experience, and not just dump money on a 911.

BC.

FacePalm.jpg

You will never see a difference in mpgs between the oils. If you want to feel you are doing the best for your Toyota that you will keep forever try the Toyota 0w-20 syn.

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
...when I owned a Porsche 944. One of my employees asked me what kind of gas mileage I got.

I told him, "If you have to worry about gas mileage, you don't have any business owning a Porsche."

A 944 is not a Porsche, it's an embarrasment.

Originally Posted By: Jeff_in_VABch
Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
...when I owned a Porsche 944. One of my employees asked me what kind of gas mileage I got.

I told him, "If you have to worry about gas mileage, you don't have any business owning a Porsche."

A 944 is not a Porsche, it's an embarrasment.

shocked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back