Trek: used bike question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd guess mid 80's, in good shape is probably worth the $75, if not more. Its probably better than a new $200-300 bike I'd think.

Rust, old heavy POS steel wheels that run as true as a taco shell, rusty cables prone to snagging & breaking, that seat looks uncomfortable, rust, dry headset bearings, rust, deraileur alignment & adjustment, rust, brakes not stopping well, rust, old stretched chain with old worn cassette/cogs, rust and rust.

$50 max for that beast. Give it a tuneup and a rattlecan paintjob and rock the streets!

Wow... sounds like I may be better off getting a new $100 bike from chinamart instead if I don't want to spend too much time fixing things up...

If you're looking for a beater bike, just give the guy $50 and ride the [censored] out of it.

Otherwise I'd just tell you to save your money and get something reasonable at the store.

If buying a 25 year old bicycle see if the tires are still good. Over time they tend to crack. The wheels might not be true; a bicycle shop can adjust the spokes for not much money. Oh, and make sure the bicycle fits you.

I have two bicycles. One is a Gitane I bought in 1973 (38 years ago) and the other is a Trek I bought in 1985 (26 years ago). Both are fine and I ride them regularly.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Wow... sounds like I may be better off getting a new $100 bike from chinamart instead if I don't want to spend too much time fixing things up...

Heck no, that thing is about a hojillion times better than a brand new Chinesium bike from anywhere. It just needs a little TLC. I dunno, I enjoy working on bikes. The tools are fairly inexpensive and they're very simple machines. A little grease in the bearings, some lube on the cables, adjust the shifters/deraileurs and you're good to go.

You might check out Working Bikes co-op in the city, they typically have quality used bikes that have been tuned up & ready to ride in the $50 - 100 range that are pretty good. I bought a single speed Madwagon 'cruiser' from them years ago, put on massive Wald front & rear baskets and now I can bring home several cases of beer in style & comfort. Nothing rides like steel!

Originally Posted By: scurvy

Heck no, that thing is about a hojillion times better than a brand new Chinesium bike from anywhere. It just needs a little TLC. I dunno, I enjoy working on bikes. The tools are fairly inexpensive and they're very simple machines. A little grease in the bearings, some lube on the cables, adjust the shifters/deraileurs and you're good to go.

You might check out Working Bikes co-op in the city, they typically have quality used bikes that have been tuned up & ready to ride in the $50 - 100 range that are pretty good. I bought a single speed Madwagon 'cruiser' from them years ago, put on massive Wald front & rear baskets and now I can bring home several cases of beer in style & comfort. Nothing rides like steel!

+1

Bikes are really simple to work on. If you do your own car maintenance, you can learn bikes. The only somewhat tricky parts I found were replacing the rear wheels set of gears & bearings, and the assembly inside the frame, between the pedals. Sorry, have no idea what the correct terms are for those parts, but I did figure it out after a little help.

I'd buy it and spend $50-$100 (wild guess) pretty much restoring it and you'll have something far better than you can buy for $300-400 now, if it is from the 80's or 90's.

We actually used to build things on this continent at one point, by decently paid workers, and the quality difference between then and now is apparent.

I've held on to the 15 or 20 year old mountain bike I got in my teens and I've had to change nothing but 1 set of tires and cables. Even the original chain is still there. I maintain, oil and grease everything on it, which is key, but I doubt a 2011 Wal-Mart bike would be so durable.

I've had many bikes in my life, and a mid- to high-end one from the old days IMO is going to be the best one. The one I mentioned is the only one I kept. One day I want to get a road / racing bike and I will be looking for an older used one to restore. Best value absolutely.

I'd guess it is a early to mid 90s bike. I wouldn't pay more than $50 for it. I saw some rusty nuts in the pictures. Chain looked a bit rusty. Tires looked under inflated, but had some tread on them. But no shocks on the front (due to its age - they didn't make them like that then), and the shifting system is probably the grip shift (hard to tell from the pics). If you aren't good a tuning up bikes, that is another $35-50 (I can almost guarantee it will need a tune up).

It is more money, but you might want to look at a Jamis bike new. They are a great value and a premium bike manufacturer. I got a 2002 model in spring 2003 for $250 on sale. Excellent bike. Same bike would probably be $300 today. Trigger shift, decent front shocks, decent all purpose tires.

That bike is from the early 90s, not the 80s. I had an 800 that I got in the spring of 92. That one in the CL ad is an 820 as you can see. I totaled my 800 in a collision with a car.
frown.gif

forget that, the chinamart bikes are downright dangerous. get some new bearings in the wheelset, lube the freewheel and get some new cables, you'll be good to go.

Originally Posted By: scurvy

Heck no, that thing is about a hojillion times better than a brand new Chinesium bike from anywhere.

This.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
I'd guess it is a early to mid 90s bike. I wouldn't pay more than $50 for it. I saw some rusty nuts in the pictures. Chain looked a bit rusty. Tires looked under inflated, but had some tread on them. But no shocks on the front (due to its age - they didn't make them like that then), and the shifting system is probably the grip shift (hard to tell from the pics). If you aren't good a tuning up bikes, that is another $35-50 (I can almost guarantee it will need a tune up).

It is more money, but you might want to look at a Jamis bike new. They are a great value and a premium bike manufacturer. I got a 2002 model in spring 2003 for $250 on sale. Excellent bike. Same bike would probably be $300 today. Trigger shift, decent front shocks, decent all purpose tires.

It has Rapid Fire shifters, thumb operated...

I think with a tuneup it would be fine for $50-75. Definitely going to be better than the Walmart garbage. Just don't expect miracles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brons2
[censored], it will have aluminum rims.

A 25-year old bike might not, which is the question I was answering.
56.gif
The Trek pictured obviously has aluminum rims.

Checked it out... was not in a good shape... rust all over, needs a new seat, brakes barely worked, derailed kept jumping cogs on its own... this bike needs more than I'm willing to give it. I'll keep looking.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
forget that, the chinamart bikes are downright dangerous.

Hmm... The $130 Schwinn I bought at walmart in 2005 still serves me well today. I've put about 2K miles on it.

Are Raleigh bikes decent? There seems to be quite a few of them on CL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back