Oil rating for 2002 Jetta TDI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A guy I know just bought one this week. Is it 502 and does M1 0-40 meet that rating?
150K on the car.

Last edited:
It's actually 505.00 and yes, the Mobil-1 0W-40 meets the standard.

502.00 is their gasoline spec.

Personally I'd use Rotella-T 5W-40.

Originally Posted By: tig1
A guy I know just bought one this week. Is it 502 and does M1 0-40 meet that rating?
150K on the car.

As FowVay said:

VW 505.00
ACEA B3 or B4
API CH-4

RTS / T6, M1 0w40, Syntec 5w40, GC. Just about any 5w40 or 0w40. TDT in non-winter or places with warm winters.

Thanks for the feed back. This guy bought the VW for the mileage. He drives 60 miles one way to work so fuel prices were killing him. If he uses M1 0-40 or T6 can he go 10K on the OCIs? As much as he drives this would be helpful for him. Also as he lives in Illinois I believe the 0 wt would help the diesel to start in winter.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feed back. This guy bought the VW for the mileage. He drives 60 miles one way to work so fuel prices were killing him. If he uses M1 0-40 or T6 can he go 10K on the OCIs? As much as he drives this would be helpful for him. Also as he lives in Illinois I believe the 0 wt would help the diesel to start in winter.

10K mile intervals are the factory OCI for all but extreme conditions (real extreme conditions, not what most see), and they're easily do-able with his highway commute, with plenty of TBN left.

Since it doesn't get below 0F often there, T6 would be fine.

He's doing to have to drive a LOT (or have a HUGE gas guzzler now) to make up for the several thousand dollars spent on the car.

Originally Posted By: BobFout

10K mile intervals are the factory OCI for all but extreme conditions (real extreme conditions, not what most see), and they're easily do-able with his highway commute, with plenty of TBN left.

Since it doesn't get below 0F often there, T6 would be fine.

He's doing to have to drive a LOT (or have a HUGE gas guzzler now) to make up for the several thousand dollars spent on the car.

Bob,
Thanks for the info. His old car had 280K on it and was in need of replacing so he thought something much more fuel effecient would be practicle. Also I will pass the OCI info to him.

Rotella T6 is a great choice. That's what I run in my 2001 VW Golf TDI and my brother, friend and father run it in their TDIs which all have close to 200K miles on them with zero issues. It's a great oil for the money. We all run 10K OCI.

I have an 03 Golf with the same TDI engine. I just did a 41K OCI and the results are spectacular, check the UOA section. I do have a bypass filter though. Can't wait until my next UOA of the Red Line 5w20.

I've been running my 03 TDI on Schaeffers part synthetic 15w-40 for a total of 240,000. No wear issues. Look for the analysis reports on this website. A very good car for high milage drivers.

My car is at 235K as we speak. I used to run Amsoil 15w40 and the only down side is fuel economy. Dropping to a 30WT oil net me another 3 mpg. Currently with the Red Line 5W20 I am seeing another 1 mpg gain for summer driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back