What's the deal with dexos oil and dexos approved

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard some things about the new GM dexos oil and that you must run dexos or an approved dexos oil or it will ruin your engine or the warranty will not cover repairs unless you use dexos oil. I have read that it is a higher quality than even GF-5 oil. But I have also seen that Pennzoil and Quaker State already have dexos approved synthetic oil. So what's the deal?

Long story short-GM wants you to use at a syn blend oil in all 2011 models. There are many reasons, including DI and the turboed engines.

The approved oils are what they would LIKE you to use, but they know they can't force you to do so. The dexos oils themselves (like Valvoline) will still work just fine, the difference being they just didn't want to pay GM for the rights to the oil....

I've already talked to a few local GM reps, and unless they can prove it was an oil related failure, which is highly unlikely. Heck, a few dealerships around here are using Synpower as one of their syn fills...so that tell you a lot.

If you have a GM vehicle requiring Dexos1 (PP, QSUD, M1) and I believe Synpower, and Edge w/ FST don't have a license but fit the dexos1 requirements and honor GM's specifications though they don't want to pay for a Dexos1 approval.

There it is in a nutshell.

Last edited:
If you take the oil company's word that they "meet dexos" without licensing, and you have an engine problem under warranty, you may then be fighting the oil company instead of GM.

Though GM has to prove (under magnuson moss) the oil did the deed directly, there is nothing preventing them from simply refusing the repair until you sue them. Then you get to choose between suing them or vavoline, and having the two of them pointing fingers at each other. Fun.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If you take the oil company's word that they "meet dexos" without licensing, and you have an engine problem under warranty, you may then be fighting the oil company instead of GM.

Though GM has to prove (under magnuson moss) the oil did the deed directly, there is nothing preventing them from simply refusing the repair until you sue them. Then you get to choose between suing them or vavoline, and having the two of them pointing fingers at each other. Fun.

Sounds like a good reason to buy a Ford!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: musicmanbass

Sounds like a good reason to buy a Ford!
wink.gif

Or even easier (no one should have to live with a Ford, j/k) just use Pennzoil Platinum. (Or Mobil 1 or QSUD)

All are great (except for Fords) and will do a great job.

Sorry Ford fans just having a little fun here.

Last edited:
Dexos is a set of specs and many oils already met the spec requirement, Penzoil platinum, M1, also Ac Delco Synblend sold at dealers. (lower cost than M1)
gm wants a higher grade oil used in gm engines than SM/SN specified

Originally Posted By: jkhawaii
Dexos is a set of specs and many oils already met the spec requirement, Penzoil platinum, M1, also Ac Delco Synblend sold at dealers. (lower cost than M1)
gm wants a higher grade oil used in gm engines than SM/SN specified

Pretty much. The cars can handle it, but GM wants to cover their hiney just the same....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back