Anyone here an Automotive Service Advisor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Popinski,

Are you looking for a career change or you are facing a possible job loss in the near future and looking for a new line of work ?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic

For some reason, I don't see anything wrong with that. Cars need work, there are labor times and dealerships are businesses. Those practices sound like they apply to most auto shops, not just a dealership.

I agree with that. It's the service dept that generates the majority of the cash for any dealership.

There's going to be a LOT of weight on the shoulders of the Service Advisers to keep the cash flow coming in.

If you're the right type of person you could do well. I would imagine a SA in a higher-end vehicle dealership would have it easier than that of a GM/Ford/Chrysler SA.

Honestly, I think most of us BITOG'rs would do well in that position!

Joel

Last edited:
I'm not a service writer, but as a parts advisor I find myself in "support mode" of our service writers on a daily basis. No doubt about it..."stressful" is an understatement. Meltdowns are part of the job...as long as you DON'T meltdown in front of the clients, you're good. We've been fortunate in having the same service counter staff for several years but I'm sure that could change once the economy picks up. If there's one thing I know about our service writers, it's the fact that they really do take pride in giving "good news" to our clients. Dispensing the "bad news" is the ugly part of the job that they DO NOT enjoy but occurs all too often.

Last edited:
I'm a little surprised at the overwhelmingly negative comments. I have been pretty pleased with my Ford Dealer and the service writer that I use. Since I do some of the routine maintenance myself I am pretty specific about what I want done.

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
I'm a little surprised at the overwhelmingly negative comments. I have been pretty pleased with my Ford Dealer and the service writer that I use. Since I do some of the routine maintenance myself I am pretty specific about what I want done.

Well, it is a tough job that requires a lot of personal fortitude. I've been offered the position several times over the years and have always turned it down. I'm not very good @ leaving my work @ work and, personally, I think the job would ultimately eat me alive. Besides, the auto parts biz provides enough "rocky" moments for me to deal with.

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy

I'm surprised that occasionally there are customers that have good experiences.

My dad had always used the local Ford store here for service on his 2005 Five Hundred, and while not impressed with the overall quality of service the price was comepetitive for things like tires. However over the past several years the overall quality of service and prices declinded greatly and recently he was so annoyed by a service advisor pushing his car back in line and botching an alignment (took three hours) he no longer goes there, also thesame dealer lost a new car sale when the sales manager refused to come down by 400$ reasonable on a fusion.

I've worked for dealers for 25 years and I can tell you that you have to have a very resiliant personality to work at most any dealer. Gernally not a good working environment.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Popinski,

Are you looking for a career change or you are facing a possible job loss in the near future and looking for a new line of work ?
21.gif

Career change. No offense to other factory workers but I don't consider a factory a career. I feel like a dang robot with no feelings when I do repetitive work on the factory line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back