Honda ATF DW-1 or Z1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to be ordering my maintenance supplies to do my yearly 15000 maintenance on my CR-V.
I need to get some more ATF for it, I only have 1 quart in my stash. I was going to see on here if anyone has had any experience yet with Honda's new DW-1 fluid?
I can get Z1 for $5.56 and DW-1 for $5.98. So price really isn't a factor between the two.

Is the DW-1 a synthetic? Do you notice any difference?

PS. Please don't suggest any other ATF's, I just need an answer between these 2. I'm not using any other fluid.

DW1. It's synthetic, and seems to be far superior in shift quality to Z1. At least in talking to Critic, and based on reviews on the Fit boards.

I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE DW-1. I have changed my uncles' 07 civic and '06 Accord and the difference was noticeably improved. I also personally know others who all claim it's an improvement as well. It is good fluid. I recommend it.

It'll shift much harsher and quicker on DW-1, esp when cold. But you may have to do a few drain and refills to notice this.

I put it into a '92 Vigor a few weeks back. Working fine so far. There's not much difference in shift quality. Initially I thought cold shifts were kind of harsh, but then I read they're that way by design. When warm the engine mgmt. will retard spark between shifts. When cold it won't, so cold shifts will normally seem harsher than after it's warmed up.

I've done a drain and fill with DW-1 in my '04 Accord. I can't tell any difference at all in the shifting. And since Z1 is being discontinued, I have to assume that DW-1 is ok to run in its place.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
DW1. It's synthetic, and seems to be far superior in shift quality to Z1. At least in talking to Critic, and based on reviews on the Fit boards.

After 2k on the DW-1 in the Fit (recent road trip), the shifts do seem to have become smoother. Not sure why, either it's adaptive or the fluid soaked into the clutch material?

Originally Posted By: RichR
I have an unopened case of Z-1 I'm not going to use for sale.

How much? And thats a case with 12 quarts right?

Originally Posted By: radtech91
Originally Posted By: RichR
I have an unopened case of Z-1 I'm not going to use for sale.

How much? And thats a case with 12 quarts right?

$50,Plus shipping.
Yes a 12qt unopened case.
If your interested let me know.

Think I'll just have the dealer do a 3 quart drain and fill and ease the transition. I don't like "harsh".

Originally Posted By: MonumentOiler
When changing out all the fluid a battery disconnect to force the computer to reset is probably a good idea.

I'll just be doing a drain and fill. It gets out 3 qts of old fluid and thats all that I replace it with. I'm not doing a whole system change or anything.

I've got a 2010 Civic, so it's probably filled with the older Z1. Perhaps I'll do a drain and fill with the newer DW-1 at the one year mark. I understand that doing a simple drain and fill only changes out 40% of the auto tranny fluid. I'll take improved fuel efficiency any way I can get it.

Dealer did a 4 quart D&F with DW-1 in my 02 V6 Accord. Result is much smoother shifting than with the Z1.

Guys, I appreciate the discussion on this. 'Tis time to change the ATF on the Acura (this coming weekend probably). I plan to get 6 quarts of the new DW-1 and do two consecutive drain/fills. Then likely a simple drain/fill at 15,000 or 30,000 mile intervals for further polishing. I will report back with results.

(The Acura is still on the original Z1 as far as I know, meaning the ~original~ 70k mile Z1.)

I drained out exactly 3 quarts of the original Z-1 and added exactly 3 quarts of the new DW-1 yesterday afternoon, and I have already felt a significant improvement in shift quality. There were quite a bit of dark particles on the drain plug magnet. The old ATF came out super dark red, almost a reddish-brown. The new stuff going in looked the color of cherry cough syrup...very deep red, but almost clear enough to see through it.

Very happy with the improvement so far with just 1x drain/fill. I will go ahead with another 1x drain/fill in another month or so, then do a 1x drain/fill at each 5k OCI for another time or two until I've done 4-5, then go to 15k mile OCIs for the transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back