DW-1 ATF compatible with older Hondas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 92 Accord LX Auto that is going to need a ATF change soon. I put some Valvoline Maxlife ATF in it the last time and so far I haven't really seen any shifting improvements, though thats how the old A/T's are supposed to operate and there haven't been any cons with the oil as well. But I keep reading everywhere that I really should be putting a Honda ATF in my tranny, so I'm just asking if the new DW-1 which is a synthetic is still compatible with an older A/T that asks for Dexron 2.

Thanks

Need to check your manual. Honda (like Toyota) is very specific about ATF fluids. My 2001 REQUIRES Honda Z-1 ATF. You can use Dexron III in a pinch, but it needs to be replaced after a short while. Honda trannys are pretty sensitive. Use the good stuff. Dealers should be able to swap out your fluid for around $60. And you'll know its the correct ATF.

I was just going to drain the 2 1/2 - 3 quarts and put the new stuff in. Its old so who knows how long the car will last.

Originally Posted By: HBCALI
Need to check your manual. Honda (like Toyota) is very specific about ATF fluids.

It says to use a conventional Dexron II ATF. Z1 was not around when my car was manufactuered. I know of people who used Z1 in older hondas like mine, but DW-1 which is synthetic...don't know

Says on the DW-1 bottle for newer Honda AT's.

Doesn't give a year, wouldn't think a '92 would qualify though.

I checked the bottle out after buying 8 of them last week and didn't see any mention of it being synthetic either.

Pitched them some days ago, but recall seeing "made from petroleum distillates". I'd think if it really was a syn oil it would be all over the bottle.

In your case I'd just stick with a good Dexron II.

When DW-1 first came out someone posted something about it being backwards compatible. I have it in my 04 ody and things are fine.

Originally Posted By: mattd
DW-1 superceders Z1

But should it be used in a 19 year old A/T

I dont see why not. If DW1 can be used in older hondas (per honda) that spec Z1, i'm sure that the DW1 meets and exceeds all Z1 specs.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Accord
DW-1 superceders Z1

Z1 is discontinued, what else are you going to use?

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: Mr_Accord
DW-1 superceders Z1

Z1 is discontinued, what else are you going to use?

Try and find some z1 or just continue using maxlife

If the transmission specs DexII then just grab a generic Dex/Merc and get new fluid in it. It sounds like the OP isn't looking to spend more than needed on the older vehicle. But new fluid will do quite a bit of good.

Originally Posted By: Boomer01

In your case I'd just stick with a good Dexron II.

Dex II was superceded in the early 90's. Obsolete and no longer available.

OP: you can use either Z1, DW1, or Maxlife. Personally, I would use the DW1.

Quote:
If the transmission specs DexII then just grab a generic Dex/Merc and get new fluid in it.
But not in a Honda. Those are the only transmissions I've known of where obsolete Dexron-II cannot be replaced with (now-obsolete) Dexron-III. Dexron-III plus Lubegard black-bottle Highly Friction Modified fluid supplement is said to work well. Or find one of the near-universal ATFs that list Honda transmissions on the label.

DW-1 is totally backwards compatible. You can also use Maxlife. Either way, sleep well. The synthetics are better, period.

Originally Posted By: R2d2
Honda DW-1 bulletin

Originally Posted By: eagle23
DW-1 is totally backwards compatible. You can also use Maxlife. The synthetics are better, period.

That bulletin does not state that DW-1 replaces Dex II in older Hondas. It says it replaces Z1.

Was Z1 approved for use in transmissions with Dex II ?

Originally Posted By: MonumentOiler
Was Z1 approved for use in transmissions with Dex II ?

You can buy any ATF in parts store and it will meet Dex II.

Quote:
If the transmission specs DexII then just grab a generic Dex/Merc and get new fluid in it. It sounds like the OP isn't looking to spend more than needed on the older vehicle. But new fluid will do quite a bit of good.

Thats pretty much the idea. After reading all the posts I don't think its worth it for DW1. I love my accord but she's really old and who knows how much longer I can keep her going. I would love to buy the best ATF (DW1), but I have to face facts its probably a waste of $$$ putting OE Synthetic Fluid that costs twice as much as the name brand off the shelf stuff into a 19yr old A/T. I have been running Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic Blend ATF for about 2 years now and I haven't noticed anything better or worse about the tranny's performance. where I am its about 8$ a quart for DW1 and 20-25$ for 5 quarts of Maxlife at Wally World, and for DW1 I would have to do a complete flush in order for it to be worth spending that and not just mix a high quality synthetic in with old syn-blend maxlife. I'm just not sure as well if a full syn should be put in a tranny this old, if Z1 was available I would probably bite the bullet and go through with it.

Quote:
Or find one of the near-universal ATFs that list Honda transmissions on the label.

Which brands would those be? AMSOIL ?

Thanks for all your input guys!
wink.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back