Tires for my CR-V (P225/65R17)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This past weekend, I bought a 2008 Honda CR-V EX-L (AWD model). The OEM tires were P225/65R17 102T, either Bridgestone or Continental. Right now, it's got a half-worn set of Michelin Cross Terrain SUV, in the correct size but in 100T rating.

Normally, I'm a Michelin person. But in this case, I don't think Michelin will provide me the best value. I'm not interested in another set of these Cross Terrains. In this size, they're the OEM tire for the Ford Escape, and they're large and heavy. They're heavier even than the P235/65R17 Cross Terrains that I have on my MDX. Another Michelin choice is the Energy Saver A/S. This is the OEM tire for the Chrysler T&C and VW Routan. I'm not sure I'm interested in buying an "OEM tire" intended for something else, because you never really know how it will perform in one specific size. The one non-OEM Michelin is the Latitude Tour, which is a demonstrably good tire, but even I will admit that its near-$200 price is awfully high.

I'm looking at a few tires, but would appreciate other recommendations as well. I think I like Goodyear's new Assurance CS. It's a crossover/SUV tire that should work well. I also think I like the Continental ProContact EcoPlus, but it gets mixed reviews for a good/quiet ride. I also would be interested in the Cooper CS4 Touring, but it's darn near close to the Michelin Latitude in price. Another candidate is the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza, but it's also pricey. I'd like to stay under $150 each. The Michelin Energy Savers fit my budget there, but I'm just not feeling good about them being someone else's OEM tire, and taking my chances on whatever performance tradeoffs that Chrysler ordered up.

I'm gun-shy about the BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A Tour. I tried those on my MDX, but was put off by the slightly firm ride and road noise.

Any CR-V owners out there (or Ford Escape owners with the 17" tire option) have experience with a tire you can recommend?

Thanks!

What do the Tire Rack tests show? Figure out what's important to you (noise, ride quality, wet traction, snow traction, etc) and see how each stacks up.

IMO things like wet and snow traction trump noise and ride quality on a daily driver.

My wife has a 08 CRV and we just put some 80K mile Cooper CS4 on there and they look great!I have them on my Accord (different size) with 35K miles so far and still look like they have 70% tread left.

I have a 2009 CR-V, the OEM tires were horrible. I got Michelin Latitude Tours from TireRack. Their price may be high but just wait till they are on sale. I was able to get mine for $152 a piece and then a $70 rebate on top of that.

I have about 15,000 miles on them now and they still look new. They are relatively quiet too. I get about 26-27mpg on average and thats in hilly country roads. I get 33mpg going 70mph with AC on on the highway.

They are great in the rain, snow, and ice I get here in Ohio, never had a problem yet with sliding in them. They are also not too bad in mud and gravel. All around an excellent tire.

They are great tires. If you read the review of the tire on TireRack you will see that most of the reviews are from people that have gen 3 CR-V's. I think it is the most popular tire for it.

Last fall I had ordered from Tire Rack a set of 4 225/65R17 (102H) Bridgestone Dueler HL Alenza for a 2009 CRV EX/L with all wheel drive. These were for my wife's friend. (I help with directing the maintainance on this car) They now have about 10k miles and are wearing great. They were priced at $145.00ea. at the time with a $100 rebate.They are quiet and comfortable on this CRV. I would recommend them. The H rating is superior to the T rating and is of no concern. I have not checked recent prices, but I know that they are probably higher due to the increase in crude. (Each tire uses about 20 gal. in the manufacturing process) Buy the Bridgestones with confidence. FWIW-Oldtommy

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring at $149 ?

I put these on our two Odyssey vans at work and we're satisfied with them.

Quote:
I have a 2009 CR-V, the OEM tires were horrible.
OT OEM tires as a rule tend to suck. The Michelin OE tires on my Accord were awful when it came to treadwear.

I have no experience, with any of the tires listed.

Thanks guys. The ComforTred Touring is a good option, and there are a lot of Goodyear/Gemini stores around here. I had no idea I could get the Latitude Tours so cheap...I'll have to keep an eye out for sales on those as well.

Why not a Nokian Brand tire?

Better all the way around than any American designed tire. Have a look.

The difference in price between a 150 dollar tire and one that costs 200 dollars, is very small. Over the course of 60,000 miles it works out to about a 3rd of a cent.

Now, If the more expensive tire is better, at 1/3 of a cent more, why not.

Safety First, Jim

Jim, no reason why no Nokian tires. I just don't have them available to me here and I've never met anyone who has owned a set, so no first-hand experience. If you have one in mind that would fit my needs well, I would appreciate a recommendation.

I agree, if I think I would get enough value (safety, performance, etc) out of a $200 tire, I'd buy one. Of the few I've looked at that cost that much (like the Michelin Latitude), I don't feel that I'd get any performance benefits out of them to justify the cost.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Jim, no reason why no Nokian tires. I just don't have them available to me here and I've never met anyone who has owned a set, so no first-hand experience. If you have one in mind that would fit my needs well, I would appreciate a recommendation.

I agree, if I think I would get enough value (safety, performance, etc) out of a $200 tire, I'd buy one. Of the few I've looked at that cost that much (like the Michelin Latitude), I don't feel that I'd get any performance benefits out of them to justify the cost.

Here are a couple of links for you.

I just finished a set of Nokian WR G2 SUV tires. They exceeded 64,500 miles (5 tire rotation) and could have gone longer.

Everything is available in this World we live in.

Good Luck shopping, and keep us posted. Jim

http://www.nokiantires.com/

https://www.tiresbyweb.com/tbw_tiresearc...=NOKIAN%20TIRES

I'll pitch in - the 2 sets of Nokian snow tires that I had in Vermont were phenomenal in the snow...stands to reason that a cold, damp snowy climate like Finland would yield good snow tire technology and manufacturing. I further had a set of Nokian Vatiiva on my truck, which got replaced with BFG AT KO (up there, I needed snow performance, down here, it's 4 wheeling performance...)

Given the positive experience with those 3 sets of Nokians, I have the Nokian WR G2 on my Volvo XC and on the 300E. They are smooth, quiet and very, very capable in the snow. Great all season tires....only 8K to date, so can't predict wear, but traction is excellent.

I'd get 'em at Discount tire. Free lifetime balance,rotation,and they will pro rate 'em for you. Get a low price match.

Quote:
I'd get 'em at Discount tire. Free lifetime balance,rotation,and they will pro rate 'em for you. Get a low price match.
+1 Done it many times. Unfortunately for Jason, no DT in the SE part of NC. But, if DT was there, fairly certain he'd like them.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
+1 Done it many times. Unfortunately for Jason, no DT in the SE part of NC. But, if DT was there, fairly certain he'd like them.

Do they carry Nokian Tires?

Thanks, Jim

Originally Posted By: AstroTurf
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:

Do they carry Nokian Tires?

Thanks, Jim
According to the DT website, they do. Fairly certain, if they don't have them in stock, they can get them usually in store in a couple days. Although not with Nokian, they have done it for me a couple times also using a price match.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tires/nokian/home.do

I saw a set of the Goodyear ComforTred Touring tires at Sam's last night. They were going on a BMW X5. I really like those tires after getting a close-up look at them. It looks like I can get them for $168 each through Sam's. Not cheap, but still doable. What I like about them is they're not over 30 pounds like some other tires in this size and they should give a smooth ride. Also, my wife is not comfortable buying tires from other than Sam's anymore, with the fantastic service they've given us.

Goodyear has an $80 MIR on the ComforTred Tourings right now, and though the end of July, but I doubt I'll be ready to purchase by then. I reckon I'll wait until the NEXT MIR offer, hopefully sometime this winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back