Do you pre-fill the filter with oil during OC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been changing oil for 40 years on motorcycles and cars and never heard of this practice until I started hanging out here. I'm curious what percentage of people do this and is there any documented advantage to it. None of my engines have ever blown up for lack of lubrication on start up after an oil change, but hey, I'm here to learn.

With spin-on filters that are mostly upright for installation, I think it's a good practice but certainly not required. Both my cars have cartridge filters that would create a stupid mess if you tried to prefill them and they seem to suffer no ill fate.

I have a translucent return line from my oil bypass filter and even through the tiny (0.032" diameter) orifice I can assure you the filters get filled FAST!

On my Silverado with the 2qt filter i'll prefill with 1qt of oil, but all my other vehicles are never prefilled
11.gif

If you can vertically spin the filter on, then yes.

Been done on the MPV, not the Civic.

There is a theoretical advantage but in practice it probably doesn't matter.

I prefill filters if doing so won't create a mess, which means I do it on my Taurus and Accord, but not on the Sienna.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
I do. Lots of threads already on this topic.

I'm sure. No search plus wrong forum to boot. Ah, the joys of doing this on the iPhone.

For my engines with filter cartridges: no.

For my engines with spin-on filters that mount horizontally: yes but only halfway.

For my engines with spin-on filters that mount on the bottom of the engine: yes but not all the up to the gasket.

On my 03' Ford Focus.....YES...I pre-fill...about 4 to 6oz.... on my PureOne vertical mount spin-on filter.

I just think it gets oil to my engine a few seconds faster. It can't do any harm....

Last edited:
For filters with downward-facing mounts, yes.

For filters with horizontal-facing mounts, half-full.

For filters with upward-facing mounts, it would be crazy! I have only seen this design on my Peugeot.

No reason to do this, as you've proven with 40 years of not doing it with no ill effects. Much more important to actually change the oil and filter on a regular basis.

I've heard start-up knock without pre filling, never with pre- filling.This was on a 3.7 Dodge engine ,and on a 350 Chevy.It was only one second but it was enough to always try to prefill at least to let the fibers soak-up some new oil.

There was nothing wrong with the bearings or an already worn out engine ,and only detectable to a trained ear,but it was there.

What more importance is don't forget to lube the filter gasket with some oil before install, also make sure the old gasket is removed from the mounting surface with the old filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back