Hydrogen Peroxide as a combustion chamber cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used water injection as a combustion chamber cleaner. I was wondering if hydrogen peroxide (3% store grade) would do a better job. It is basically water with an extra oxygen molecule. When it decomposes it becomes H20 and O2. I was thinking that the extra oxygen might combine with the carbon to form CO2. I have read that it can also combine with other compounds to form an acid. I was also concerned if the extra oxygen would attach itself to the iron in the cylinder and cause increased wear, or remove oil from the cylinder wall.

any thoughts?

Oils are designed to fight compounds like peroxides. I don't think it would be my first choice. I would look for some other products. Maybe someone has more info. I have always been under the impression peroxides were not a good thing.

Been using 35% h202 and ethanol for years in the 70 and eighties as a CC cleaner injested through a TPI vacuum port at the primary throttle. You just introduce enough to be used in the combustion. After a cc cleaning you should ALWAYS do an OC to get the blowby out of the sump. Caution! - watch your cocktail injestion rate - bent rods and broken pistons and blown headgasket(s) are just one "Uhh Ohh!" away
smile.gif
Also I would NOT recommend fast steam decarboning on any modern FI catted engine.

Last edited:
35% H2O2?
Where did you find that concentrated dose of such a strong oxidizer?
50% and up and your asking for trouble.

Oxidizers and hydrocarbons (organics) do not get along well at all.

Wow, impressive.

Rob

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Been using 35% h202 and ethanol for years in the 70 and eighties as a CC cleaner injested through a TPI vacuum port at the primary throttle...

... Also I would NOT recommend fast steam decarboning on any modern FI catted engine.

What is FAST STREAM decarboning? I have a windshield washer pump that I use to squirt water into my engine. I rev the motor to just under the redline (6000 RPM??) and hit the button. The engine gets a quart of water in under a minute.

DO you need special permits for 35% H2O2?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FiremarshalRob
35% H2O2?

Oxidizers and hydrocarbons (organics) do not get along well at all.

Rob

I know that, but what about the split second it is in the combustion chamber?

Would it cause pre-ignition? If I had an old motor, I would experiment myself.

IIRC, the Germans experimented with it as a water injection agent in WWII, using its oxygenating abilities as a charge cooler and oxygen enhancer.

As others have said, 3% isn't much chop.

If you find the 35%, I think it needs freezer storage, and ingestion by humans is not very nice, so be careful.

Got the stuff as "expired' indutrial waste in 1 GAL jugs.
HOT (70c) H2O2 was used in a wet bench tank for cleaning of ceramic substrates (used in telecommunication I.C manufacture), the last tank that follows was a quick dump D.I. Water spray and rinse.

Just do a mix of your 3% H202 and 20% ethanol. Cheap Vodka works well
smile.gif
I would recommend multiple WOT bursts around 1/2 redline and no more than a pint in a minute through a bug spray atomiser nozzle. Connecting rods hurt when they whack you in the ankle
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Just do a mix of your 3% H202 and 20% ethanol. Cheap Vodka works well
smile.gif
I would recommend multiple WOT bursts around 1/2 redline and no more than a pint in a minute through a bug spray atomiser nozzle. Connecting rods hurt when they whack you in the ankle
wink.gif

What about rubbing alcohol (isopropyl)?

35% H2O2?
Where did you find that concentrated dose of such a strong oxidizer?

You can buy Food Grade (35%) H2O2 at organic food Co-op's, they would have it stored in a freezer if they carried any. You can also buy it online. If it is actually 35%, it will NOT freeze in a typical freezer.

50% and up and your asking for trouble.

Anything beyond Food Grade (35%) would be totally unavailable to the public. 90% is the strongest that can be made in a lab, and that is for military, NASA use (rockets).

Originally Posted By: Loobed
DO you need special permits for 35% H2O2?

Not at all, see above.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
If you find the 35%, I think it needs freezer storage, and ingestion by humans is not very nice, so be careful.

Yeah it needs freezer storage or it will chemically break down into weaker concentrations in short order, In a freezer it is good for about 6 months. 35% will cause painful chemical burns if it touches the skin, and is LETHAL if ingested (not to mention that the pain would be unimaginably horrific before you died).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back