Barium - 0

Sus Vis@210 - 72.4
Flashpoint - 400
Fuel % - Antifreeze % - 0%
Water % - 0%
Insolubles % - 0.3%

TBN - 4.0

Writeup by Blackstone:

In the 5,481 miles you have had this oil in use, you've generated so little wear from this oil it is hard to do a reliable oil analysis. Universal averages show typical wear metals for an oil from this type of engine after about 4,785 miles run on the oil. you oil was longer and we found all wear from the engine at around average levels and in the correct balance to show normal mechanical parts inside. Air and oil filtration look okay. This was a 0w/40 engine oil with no gas, moisture or anti-freeze in it. The TBN was 4.0, easily adequate. Try 6,000 miles next sample.

My comments: This is a 1996 Toyota Lancruiser with a 4.5l inline 6 motor. It sees many short trips as well as regular full throttle use. Oil filter is what is called the good small japanese toyota filter, air filter is a Purolater from Pep Boys. Also, this engine has what is called the "startup rattle" commonly thought to be the timing chain tensioner loosing oil overnight. Obviously it isn't hurting. The report took so long because the sample was lost in the mail and then showed up back in my mailbox 2 weeks ago. I then resent it. Also, I bought this truck with 113,000 miles, change the oil to Mobil Drive Clean plus 10w-30 for 2500 miles and then to the 0w-40.

Obviously, I will be sticking with this oil, the engine obviously loves it.

Cary

Must be the first Lancruiser inline-6 UOA on this board.
fruit.gif

Impressive report....and I just got done dissin M1 0w-40 in another thread.
blush.gif

Can you report the universal averages? I think it makes assessing results a lot easier since different engines wear differently. Toyota engines seem mighty impressive for the most part.
But this report is great no matter how you slice it.

This is a good fit. He could have gone much longer on this oil. Who said that M1 0w-40 was not shear stable. Wow!

The 4.5 I6 is an incredable engine. The only reason for it's phase out was the ever growing weight of the Land Cruiser and the pepier compettion it was faceing. When they redesigned the Landrcruiser to a less capable off road vechile the I6 went the way of the dodo bird! That engine is about as refined as an internal combustion engine can get. If ever anyone gets a chance to drive one of these do it. I always wished they would bring the old FJ40's back and to the USA and use that engine in them.

Inline 6 cylinders have fewer issues with harmonics then I4, I5 or V8's. Nice to see a UOA of this engine. I suspect that just about any synthetic 30wt or thicker would give much the same results.

It has been my limited experince that M1 OW40 either hines in an application or it bombs. Obviously your Land Cruiser likes it!

Simply fantastic! Great combo with that engine and M1 0w-40. I doubt anything could yield better results than that. Then again, I make a habit out of being wrong.
pat.gif

Mikep

quote:

The 4.5 I6 is an incredable engine. The only reason for it's phase out was the ever growing weight of the Land Cruiser and the pepier compettion it was faceing. When they redesigned the Landrcruiser to a less capable off road vechile the I6 went the way of the dodo bird! That engine is about as refined as an internal combustion engine can get. If ever anyone gets a chance to drive one of these do it. I always wished they would bring the old FJ40's back and to the USA and use that engine in them.

Ditto!

If you take any kind of care of this motor you'll get 400,000 out of it. The FJ-80 Land Cruiser is a freaking tank with over 100 grease fittings underneath it. A total throwback vehicle, just awesome.

I like the Toyota 4.7 liter V-8 but Americans are V-8 crazy and they did not appreciate this straight 6.

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

>The FJ-80 Land Cruiser is a freaking tank with over 100 grease fittings underneath it. A total throwback vehicle, just awesome.

While I agree with most of this, I must have missed a few grease fittings! There are usually 6 though I recently got 1 extra. The older Land Cruisers did have more fittings but including the 3 of mine, I'm still less than 25.

Andrew

Universal averages per Blackstone

Aluminum - 3
Chromium - 0
Iron - 9
Copper - 4
Lead - 3
Tin - 1

Obviously, this engine is well designed and not hard on oil. I think the 8 quart sump helps also.

Can any one say "Holy $hit, Batman!" Best results I have seen by far. Look at that low IRON. About time for M1 to get that iron count down. 120K on the motor???? Nothing but kudos to that engine.

Cruiserdrew,

welcome.gif

Cary,

Although it deeply pains the GC-meister to say it, W O W...oh yeah, and ach du lieber !

M1 0W40 gets such a caning here and then this comes along. Any oil Porsche or Aston Martin or Merc AMG etc use OEM is fine by me. I'd like to see more M1 0W40 UOA's particularly from an LS1.

For the last few months, most of the M1 reports in healthy engines, whether it be 0w-20, 5w-30, 10w-30 and now 0w-40, have been impressive. Prior to that, most of them were just okay. It's surprising considering that they seemed to have dropped ph and zinc. But I'm sure their chemists know what they are doing.

A high mileage, Toyota engine is always going to show very low wear rates - take a look at the numbers from some of the 3.4L and 4.7L Toyota engines, for example, or take a look at the data from my 2.4L Tacoma engine or Busters Corolla ....The only Toyo engine you have to worry about is the 3.0L, V-6 - specifically the ones in 1999-2001 models.

With a Toyota analysis, about the only useful piece of into is how much the oil degraded over the course of the drain interval. The TBN of this sample was 4.0, so you could go a few thousand mile more before draining it ....

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

Cary in addition to the front and rear locker you could also lock the center diff so that the viscous coupling was not a factor and torque was split 50/50. If memory serves me right they droped that feature before they droped the FJ80 here in the USA.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:

The inline 6 is still available outside the US, and the 80 series which is the model sold in the US from 1991-1997 is still built and sold overseas (it is the official vehicle of the United Nations). The 80 Series was one of the few vehicles ever available with factory front and rear lockers (which about 40% of the 80 series sold in the US had). The inline six was canceled here, not so much because of power, but because of perception. People in the US want a V-8 in a full size sport utility, especially a $50,000 one. When you look at the actual numbers the I-6 was 4.5l 212hp, 292ft/lb v. the V-8 is 4.7, 230hp, 320ft/lb. The catch is that you can supercharge both engines with kits from Toyota. In the case of the I-6 you end up with approximately 300hp and 400 ft/lb torque.

Finally, most people do not realize it but the Lancruisers are in fact built by Aaraco, a Japanese Truck manufacture. They have to be the most overbuilt truck ever made, the Sequoia feels downright chinzy aftwards. My wife a die hard BMW driver loves it, and my brother-in-law traded his Mercedes S class for a 100 series and then bought a second for my sister.

Cary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back