Opti-2 71:1 vs. Stihl Ultra 50:1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnny from bitog gifted me 3 pouches of Opti-2 oil mix last month, and I've run out of my current mix of Stihl Ultra.
I own an MS250 Stihl chain saw, a BG86 Stihl blower that I going to test the new mix in. I have taken some pictures of the exhaust ports, and pistons that I will post at this location soon. Both of these engines have seen the Stihl Ultra mixed at 50:1 exclusively until now, and the ports and pistons look brand spanking new at this time. Both cylinders show less than 2 or 3 psi of cylinder leakage using a set of Matco 30psi leakdown gauges. Both engines have about 3 years of service under there belt, and the hours look something like 60hrs on the blower, and maybe 30 on the saw. I will be mixing the Opti-2 at 71:1 with the same fuel the engines have always seen, and Johnny gave me enough to mix 3 gallons of this mix. When it's all gone, it's mufflers off.

P.S. I'm still waiting on a Toro Recycler to cross my bench to photo the rear end service. It may take a bit due to the fact that were slammed right now, and I'm there handheld tech.

I've heard so many things about the Stihl Ultra. Stihl Ultra at 50:1 is probably a good universal mix for ANYTHING out there. Even 32:1 Lawn-Boy mowers or 40:1 string trimmers.

I have used Opti for years on the golf course, never had any issues. I have Stihl blowers that have run this oil since new.
I mix it 12oz to 10gallons of 89 octane.

Were you looking for info on the Toro gearbox found in the "Personal Pace" mowers?

Originally Posted By: turfequiptech
I have used Opti for years on the golf course, never had any issues. I have Stihl blowers that have run this oil since new.
I mix it 12oz to 10gallons of 89 octane.

Were you looking for info on the Toro gearbox found in the "Personal Pace" mowers?

No. Thanks though. I'm a Stihl tech and the service manager of an ope dealer in the Dallas area, and was asked by some here to post pictures of yearly toro personal pace adjustment, and axle service.
Do you work on grounds keeping equipment?

Looking forward to your review and opinion, Will. Also looking forward to when you can post pics of the Toro personal pace adjustments/service.

For those mowers and their intricate axle setup I have found that changing the friction disc and the plastic washer will get you through the next season. Ours go about 20hrs per week June through September, a couple shots of aluminum complex grease per week. A few years back i had a series of gearbox failures, I replaced the washers in the box and repacked with a moly grease , it was Lubriplate 3000 NLGI#1 bought just for those boxes. Going into season three without taking anything apart past the second c-clip. Ours get used a lot and are fairly old, we have six of them and five go out each time they cut.

I am the mechanic on a golf course, I have used the Opti since 1998, only failure I have had was a new echo that failed on the first day. It ended up being a piston pin clip that must have dislodged and chewed up the cylinder and the piston.

No, those engines all use Rotella 30wt. All the old ones have been reringed once. I have added two new engines and will replace the oldest ones as they wear out again. For 170.00 dollars they aren't worth a overhaul at this point. I switched all my lubes last year and the Rotella 30 wt is next on the chopping block.

Originally Posted By: turfequiptech
For those mowers and their intricate axle setup I have found that changing the friction disc and the plastic washer will get you through the next season. Ours go about 20hrs per week June through September, a couple shots of aluminum complex grease per week. A few years back i had a series of gearbox failures, I replaced the washers in the box and repacked with a moly grease , it was Lubriplate 3000 NLGI#1 bought just for those boxes. Going into season three without taking anything apart past the second c-clip. Ours get used a lot and are fairly old, we have six of them and five go out each time they cut.

I am the mechanic on a golf course, I have used the Opti since 1998, only failure I have had was a new echo that failed on the first day. It ended up being a piston pin clip that must have dislodged and chewed up the cylinder and the piston.

Waite you work on a golf course and use toro "recycler" mowers, not the commercial 22195 or 22187? I figured if yall used rotary mowers at all they would be Jacobsen. Are you maybe talking about the 74-1860 toro gear box?

I will look up the model numbers of the machine tomorrow and the gearbox part number. These are not the Home Depot model.

I wonder how well echo oil does compared to the two. I just bought a new trimmer and mower and want to rum the best fluids possible. In my Honda mower I'm using Pennzoil ultra now. Might try amsoil, Opti max or Mobil 1 ep and see if I can tell a difference then pick one and stick with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back