Coffee - what are you using and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a bag of some Costa Rican coffee (espresso roast) while I was there a few weeks ago. Not bad, but not as aromatic and powerful as Lavazza Espresso.

Anyone try or like Caribou Coffee?

I love it and think it's the best at a moderate price.
thumbsup2.gif
It's on sale at local Cub Foods for $5.99, regular $8.99 a bag.

I always order a dark roast kona from gold star coffee. They roast it once they get the order and ship it usually within a day. Best coffee I've made at home.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Anyone try or like Caribou Coffee?

I love it and think it's the best at a moderate price.
thumbsup2.gif
It's on sale at local Cub Foods for $5.99, regular $8.99 a bag.

Just bought some at the store..buy one get one free. Pretty good stuff.

my next batch i will buy organic and local coffee grown about 50 miles from me, and roasted in my town.

Right on!

Drinking Caribou French Roast now. The Caribou Columbian rocks also.
thumbsup2.gif

my standby is 8 oclock columbian (or brown bag as I call it). I am trying to transition to more decaf, since I was a little too hooked on the caffeine for a few mos there. I typically get the 2.5 lb bags at sams club for about $11.50. I am more and more picky about coffee and I find this stuff hard to beat. It's definitely my standby. I'll also look for BOGO deals at local grocery stores and try different stuff in 12 oz bags. New England decaf French vanilla is a pretty good find, and BOGO was about $3.50 for 12 oz. I wish sam's had the big bags of 8 oclock decaf, since I would buy a brown and a green and mix them for 50/50 leaded/unleaded.

Keurig's are ok, but don't make strong enough coffee for me. I feel like they are kind of a gimmick and I would go through 2-3 each AM. I'm sorta surprised they can get so much $$$ for a maker when the cups seem a bit pricy. It is definitely convenient though, and the selection of K-cups is pretty good. I don't think they are that great if you wake up with a houseful of people and each is going to drink 20oz of coffee and you need it all at once. Much better to just have a regular 12 cup pot. I am just using a $5 black friday Target coffee pot. I really need a new one too
smile.gif

I typically grind my own with a $10 grinder every AM. If this one burns out I have backup
smile.gif
If backup burns out maybe I'll look for a burr grinder.

Last edited:
I am a big fan of Starbuck's Verona coffee. Good flavor, not too dark. Just a tad pricey, as it brewing a cup at home isn't much cheaper than going to a starbucks.

+1 on the Tanzanian Peaberry.

A local coffee shop sells beans from all of the World and I've tried most of them. I keep coming back to the Tanzanian Peaberry. IMO, it's second only to the very pricey Jamaican Blue Mountain.

Currently drinking this:

823.jpg

My local grocery store had it for under $3/box, so I had to try it. Great taste, fantastic crema. Not very strong though.

Quick update:

For $2.87, I grabbed this.
0060538898800_180X180.jpg

It is MUCH better than I ever expected it to be. With coffee prices going up, up, up.... I could actually drink this for a while.

Wife brought me a bag of Cafe Britt espresso ground from Mexico last week, although the coffee itself is from Costa Rica if I'm not mistaken. Decent coffee, but not as strong as some of the Italian stuff that I'm used to (Lavazza, Alessi). I'll be using it for making ice coffee since there isn't a whole lot of aroma in ice coffee anyway.

I just picked some of this up tonight to try. The large can was only 6.00 at my walmart. I'll be going back to get one. Have you tried any of the other roasts?

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Quick update:

For $2.87, I grabbed this.
0060538898800_180X180.jpg

It is MUCH better than I ever expected it to be. With coffee prices going up, up, up.... I could actually drink this for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back