Mustang paint chips ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so my Mustang has been a garage queen most of its 10 years- I bought it with 12,500 and I have driven it for almost a month and a half now as a summer daily driver. It looked showroom new when I bought it. (I think I counted 4 or 5 tiny tiny stone chips in the front)

It seems like every day there is a new chip some are almost the size of dimes. All this has happened during the month I have driven it.

I don't understand why this is happening all of the sudden as I do not follow closely behind trucks that may throw stones or drive excessively fast. The large dime size paint chips look as if nothing hit it (no bug splat or indentation of any kind)

Is there a logical explanation? More importantly is there a solution? I have waxed the car twice (with professional level products ) and it gets a wash at least once a week (mild, no mechanical swirl -o- matic car washes)

Just because you do not drive closely behind trucks doesn't mean other debris isn't hitting the car. It's going to get chips and scratches, you need to learn to accept that and live with it.

Get a clear bra if it bothers you so much.

Yeah but then the bra looks tacky... its part of driving a car daily, if its black, you will notice a [censored] of a lot more than if it was another color..

And you are sure that it is really just showing up now??? Are you sure it wasnt a repaint? A bad repaint might shed paint.

I cant believe youre getting dime size blemishes without doing something to cause it, whether you know it or not... Now what are they??!? Not sure.

I agree. Touch them up and get a clear bra to protect if youre seeing such soft paint wearing so fast.

I detailed cars professionally for awhile and I re-finished several BMWs over the years. I looked very closely for signs of re-paint when I bought it. None.

Well I have read that the Mustang paint was pretty bad to begin with and this is my first domestic car so I think I have been spoiled by European paint.

The dime size chips show absolutely No signs of being hit by anything. As if it was a blister that popped right down to the vinyl bumper that is still smooth.

Now that I think of it, the bug chips seem to make more sense to me now as I am living in the country doing more late night driving than the original owner.

Still IMO should not effect a well kept and well protected car. Id re-detail and get the clear bra on... that paint is weak!

I think the clear bra might rip the original paint off like my girlfriends Brazilian Hot wax treatment at the spa...

I would love to upload some pics but I am totally clueless as to how.

This is the front bumper of my son's '03 Mustang with about 90,000 miles on it. He bought it used. It looks original, but who knows if it might have been replaced/repainted.

The paint seems to flake off wherever it gets chipped. The metal hood and front fenders are fine.

img1243vu.jpg

Wow. That is pretty much it. Not quite that bad but my mileage is around 13K -

As an added bonus there was a freak hail storm tonight. -The one night I forgot to put a car cover on. I'm crossing my fingers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back