Engine detailing.. with tire shine foam!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
im not a noob at cleaning an engine however i always use to use WD40 after the cleaning & drying to give the engine & bay that shine. now im starting to read that many people use tire shine foam!?

what is better the WD40 or tire shine foam, if so then which brand? I dont feel good spraying armor tire foam all over the engine bay LoL, is that stuff design for that much heat? arent tire foams just for rubber not metal/aluminum?

I`d even read where people use furniture polish (Pledge,etc). I`ve tried CD-2,and was very disappointed. I always just spray everything down with Armor All.

Last edited:
WD40 or tire spray? Name your poison! The former is primarily aliphatic compounds & base oils while the latter owes its shine to silicones...makes no difference from a practical standpoint. Pledge works great and ArmorAll does the same thing.

All are used by auto detailers, motorcyclists, and backyard mechanics...including me.

Originally Posted By: Hallmark
Pledge works great

I`ve come VERY close to using Pledge to detail the engine bay. How well does it really work? I`ve also read where people use it to detail their car`s interior,even the leather seats.

pledge!?! seriously?! i thought that stuff only works on wood surface not metal hahahah. I've always use WD40 so i may try the tire shine foam method and see how i like it, what i dont like about the WD40 is that its rather liquidly so it tends to drip were as the tire foam wont im guessing. i also dont like how the WD40 is like a dirt attractor, after im done with WD40 it wont last more then a week and the layer of WD40 is all coated in dirt and dusk from the stickiness of the WD40.

Stoner Trim Shine or Duragloss Ultimate Detail Spray. Neither are greasy/oily, but will leave a nice look to all rubber/plastics underhood.

I wouldn't use anything petroleum based. Rubber and petrol don't get along well. Tire form works very well, and like someone else said it wont drip.

The silicone sprays or coatings are not good for your sensors, They will cause problems if they get to a sensor.

Last edited:
I bought a can of Pledge at HEB tonight. I`m going to give it a try next time I detail my engine bay.

let us know how you make please and thank you. I did my engine today and went with tire shine.... the WD40 looks better, the tire shine leaves a white residue, maybe cause its design more for rubber then plastic duh. however i like the smell of the tire shine vs WD40 hahaha.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I`ve also read where people use it to detail their car`s interior,even the leather seats.

If you check Pledge's website, you'll note that they recommend their product for leather furniture.

I've used Pledge for many years on both painted surfaces and seat/backrest/plastic saddlebags of my motorcycles. It's a common secret of bike detailers.

I'm pretty sure solvent based organic compounds such as WD 40 are a bit of a fire hazard. I would not put that stuff under my engine.

Yes, GUNK engine cleaner is also, but you rinse it off when you are done.

Rob

Pledged my engine bay this afternoon and I must saw I`m in total awe! I`ll never use protectants/dressings ever again. The Pledge left everything looking brand new! No stickiness,drips,or oiliness whatsoever. What`s weird though,I had bees all over the bay. They must be attracted to the lemon scent :^P
sesww3.jpg

dd2gxd.jpg

xncbo2.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hallmark
I've used Pledge for many years on both painted surfaces and seat/backrest/plastic saddlebags of my motorcycles. It's a common secret of bike detailers.

How well would it work on leather car seats? Do you use the regular lemon Pledge (which states on the can that it can be used to preserve leather furniture) or the Extra Moisturizing formula?

Last edited:
Pledged my engine bay this afternoon and I must saw I`m in total awe! I`ll never use protectants/dressings ever again. The Pledge left everything looking brand new! No stickiness,drips,or oiliness whatsoever. What`s weird though,I had bees all over the bay. They must be attracted to the lemon scent :^P

Nice cleaned engine.

Did you just spray Pledge or use the rag to spread the Pledge evenly after spraying ?

I never used anything after cleaned my engine with Castrol Super Clean and rinse it off with tap water from garden hose. The engine is clean but doesn't look as nice as yours.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Nice cleaned engine.

Did you just spray Pledge or use the rag to spread the Pledge evenly after spraying ?

I never used anything after cleaned my engine with Castrol Super Clean and rinse it off with tap water from garden hose. The engine is clean but doesn't look as nice as yours.

Thanks! :^)

I washed the entire engine/bay with a bucket full of Eagle One car wash,dried everything completely with a big beach towel,then just lightly sprayed the entire bay,including all plastic,rubber,and painted metal surfaces with the Pledge,then used a blue shop paper towel to wipe everything down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back