Which synthetic oil would be best for my 04 Volvo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for recommendations on which oil.

2004 Volvo S60 R, 120,000 miles. Driving is 40 miles round trip to work mostly on back roads averaging around 40-45 miles per hour. Not much stop and go traffic. Summers get into the 80’s winter very few winter days below 0. My car is stock. I change my oil every 7500 miles and it uses ¾ quart between oil changes maybe a bit more depending on driving habits. I’ve used only synthetic. Currently I have Mobil 1 0w40 and it seems to be pretty good. I’ve driven 2500 miles on the oil and haven’t had to add any oil which is a bit of a surprise since with the AMSOIL 0w30 I would add 1 quart during this 7500 mile period. I’ve heard some good and bad about the Mobil 1 0w40 so I’m looking to see if there are any other recommendations. I was going to try the AMSOIL Series 3000 5w30 HDD but too expensive. Would an extended mileage oil be worth looking into?

I like the AMSOIL but having to order on line and lately with price increases it’s not worth it especially since they don’t make an extended life oil filter and I prefer to change my oil and filter at 7500 miles. Thanks.

Mobil 1 0W40 is very highly respected here. I'd stick with that for your Volvo. It is easy to get, and there is always a parts chain running some kind of oil change special which includes Mobil 1 oil and a good filter.

What have you heard about M1 0W-40 that was bad? I don't think I've ever heard anything negative about that oil, except maybe if it was used in the wrong application.

I am running the M1 0W40 in one, and the PU 5W40 in another...will post the UOA on the M1 when I get it back (though - to be frank, there may be some contamination from anti-sieze...it should still give useful data...).

Both should do well in your application, my driving is very similar, albeit in a warmer climate.... The R is a great car by the way...

I wait for the AAP sale that features M1 (buy 5QTs and a good filter for $32) - then buy 3 of those...15 QTS of M1 0W40... and get a couple of filters for the other cars...cheapest way to get the M1 0W40 that I have found. I use Mann Filters on the Volvos, bought in bulk from IPD for about $4 each...www.ipdusa.com

Cheers

Last edited:
Shearing issues is the only real negative I've heard about the 0w40. I'm not sure if 0w40 has been updated at all in recent years. The R is a great car and I also get OE filters or order bulk from IPD.

I've heard about M1 shearing as well...but even if it shears to the heavy side of 30WT...does that matter in a car that specs 5W30 with 40WT optional? Put another way - if Mercedes uses it as exclusive fill on some very expensive AMG series cars, can it really be shearing that much? So, if even if it shears - it ends up at the same viscosity as the much-loved GC...is that so bad?

That's why I am doing the UOA - I want to know how hard this engine is on the M1 and how the M1 held up on a 7700 mile OCI.

The Castrol 0W30 and the Amsoil are good choices too...but the M1 is the only synthetic I can get at a reasonable price...except for the 2 cases of M1 TDT 5W40 I got at the NEX for $1.98 QT...but that's another story...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I've heard about M1 shearing as well...but even if it shears to the heavy side of 30WT...does that matter in a car that specs 5W30 with 40WT optional? Put another way - if Mercedes uses it as exclusive fill on some very expensive AMG series cars, can it really be shearing that much? So, if even if it shears - it ends up at the same viscosity as the much-loved GC...is that so bad?

That's why I am doing the UOA - I want to know how hard this engine is on the M1 and how the M1 held up on a 7700 mile OCI.

The Castrol 0W30 and the Amsoil are good choices too...but the M1 is the only synthetic I can get at a reasonable price...except for the 2 cases of M1 TDT 5W40 I got at the NEX for $1.98 QT...but that's another story...

I'm in agreement with everything you saying; plus as you mention Mercedes, Porsche as well as others recommend the oil so most likely it is fine for my application. I'm just wanting to use something that is readily/easily available and at a decent price. I noticed the Rotella T6 5w40 which I used once was again available at Walmart for $20 per gallon. I wish our NEX here in Maine was still open.

With that mileage and oil consumption .... you've HEARD something bad about the oil you've been using ?

You need a harder job to occupy your mind !

Originally Posted By: bruno
You need a harder job to occupy your mind !

I suppose...thanks for the input.

I'll post the UOA later tonight (off to change the PU 5W40 in the XC...) but the M1 0W40 looked good at 7700 miles in the T5.

Can't go wrong with that...

Cheers,

I would not run an extended drain (over 10K) on that engine without doing a UOA. On my R I did a couple of UOA's at 10K on both GC and M1 and both oils had sheared to a point where I wouldn't have wanted to go much longer. I ended up doing 10K in the summer and 7.5K or so in the winter (fewer HWY miles).

I used M1 0W40 and Castrol 0W30 interchangeably in mine. I had less consumption with the Castrol. If you're consuming that little M1 and it's readily available I'd probably stick with it.

Doing an extended drain with a high-boost turbo which sees pretty high oil temps is a bad idea unless you're doing a UOA to determine the oil's condition. A blanket recommendation to run ANY oil 15K is, for this car, a poor recommendation IMO.

I am with JOD - in the R model...you're pushing, what, 18 PSI of boost to get 300 HP out of a 2.3 Liter engine. Pretty high stress...I would feel better, personally, knowing that the oil is up to standard when the RPMs are up and the turbo is in full boost...

Adding 1 quart in a 7500 mile OCI is no big deal...

Good UOA on the Mobil 1 0W40, highly recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back