What happened to the (Google) Search Box ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to do a search and couldn't find the box normally at the top for search. Search with dropdown menu is there but the results are unsatisfactory.

Is this just me, my broswer, or are others experiencing the same?
21.gif

My Google search box in gone too.
I thought it was something I did,
as I'm a techno-idiot. I would like
to have it back.

Thanks for the responses. Just getting ready to post....Bueller, anyone, anyone?
56.gif

Hope the powers that be put it back too. The alternative search function is lousy.

There's always going over to Google and searching BITOG through the Advanced Search function there. Use this string:

(search terms here) site:bobistheoilguy.com

when entering something into Google. So a search for intake cleaner would look like:

intake cleaner site:bobistheoilguy.com

when entered into Google's search bar.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Yep, that's what I ended up doing and found exactly what I was looking for. But, having the box is more convenient.

Good information to know though.

Last year our cost for Google custom search was $100. This year the cost was going up to $15,000, which we obviously can't afford.

Wayne

Wayne, $15k is ridiculous, no wonder it's gone.

For anyone who didn't understand how to do an advanced Google search from Sciphi's instructions, here are the basics.

Open Google.

Click on the tiny hotlink on the right titled "Advanced search".

In the top bar titled "all these words" type what you're searching for. For example, brake pads, or Red Line oil, etc.

In the bottom bar titled "search within a site or domain" type bobistheoilguy.com

Hit Enter

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Now can we make the sidebar go away, too? Why does that have to stay?

The sidebar is a good thing on the front page, but it would be great to not have it there while reading threads. That's my wish, have it disappear while reading threads
smile.gif

That sounds reasonable.

It would be better (if it HAS to stay, for some reason) if it were on the right side. We naturally try to start reading from left to right, so having a big bar taking up the left edge of the screen is somewhat counter-intuitive.

Originally Posted By: wwillson
Last year our cost for Google custom search was $100. This year the cost was going up to $15,000, which we obviously can't afford.

Wayne

That's criminal!

Let's send them some 5W-30 with a bad add pack.

I sure hope you guys had not selected "auto-renewal" on the Google site search! That would have been one heck of credit card bill surprise in the mail :-(

Now can we get rid of the sidebar? I recall we had very heated discussion about it while ago and the reason it was there was for the Google site search.

- Vikas

The site:bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ parameter is cool. I just hate how it puts out sooooo many duplicates
smile.gif

BTW
Originally Posted By: hate2work

Wayne, $15k is ridiculous, no wonder it's gone.

For anyone who didn't understand how to do an advanced Google search from Sciphi's instructions, here are the basics.

Open Google.

Click on the tiny hotlink on the right titled "Advanced search".

In the top bar titled "all these words" type what you're searching for. For example, brake pads, or Red Line oil, etc.

In the bottom bar titled "search within a site or domain" type bobistheoilguy.com

Hit Enter

That makes it sound wayyyyyy more complicated
wink.gif

Just use

"fuel injector cleaner" site:bobistheoilguy.com

Same concept
wink.gif

Here's the bookmarklet I been using, just drag it to your bookmarklets toolbar
wink.gif

\"/g,"")) + "\"").replace(/ /g, "+"); void 0" target="_blank">google site search

err....doesn't appear to want to hotlink, but it's at the following site https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/search.html#google_site_search

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wwillson

Wayne

seriously? 15k bucks? how does it go from $100 to $15k? we must have been using that search box like a maniac.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
we must have been using that search box like a maniac.

That's not surprising, considering how weak the built-in search function is.

doesnt every web browser available today come with an option to have a search bar (with google being one of the optional sites) up on top, in the browser??

or if you have the newest version of chrome, instead of typing in an address in the address bar, just type in your search. i THINK firefox has this too now

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back