Seafoam on an oil burner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car has been burning through oil like crazy and I'm trying to make it last while I save money for a re-build.

When a motor is burning through a quart of oil every week or 2, are there a lot of deposits forming inside it?

Thinking about doing a Seafoam treatment to see if it helps lower my consumption and if not, maybe it will clean it out a bit?

What do you guys think?

regrettably, if you burn that much oil, nothing will work.

SAve your mullah and just keep topping up with motor oil for now. Save the $$ for a rebuild/wreckers engine instead.

Q/.

Uh, there's probably lots of deposits forming but that engine is really far gone. Seafoaming is more for cars that see a lot of around town driving so carbon builds up in the cylinders. It will clean it up a little, but if anything it'll probably make your engine consume more oil.

I'm going to have to agree with:

Originally Posted By: Quest
Save the $$ for a rebuild/wreckers engine instead.

You could try it, but I can't see it doing much....likely just burn away just like your current fill.

have you thought about MMO? 1 qt as a top off oil or so, for 3k miles....

or possibly an HDEO (Diesel) oil? Such as Rotella, Delo, etc...? Try first with substituting a "quart" of say, the 15W-40, to your crankcase along with your regularly scheduled motor oil - only reasoning I have here, is because most of these HDEOs are a tad thicker than what our standard passenger cars are usually rated for (5-10W-20 or 30....)

What kind of car??? May be people with similar car can show you how to remedy the problem if any.

It depends on why it is burning oil?

If it's just a "Rag" that you plan to discard when it quits running... something like Justice Bros. Oil Treatment, Motor Honey, or Restore should quell the burning until you are ready to send it to salvage.

Also, you may want to bump up to a heavier oil..

Lots of blue smoke from the tail-pipe?

Originally Posted By: allmotorB18C1
My car has been burning through oil like crazy and I'm trying to make it last while I save money for a re-build.

When a motor is burning through a quart of oil every week or 2, are there a lot of deposits forming inside it?

Thinking about doing a Seafoam treatment to see if it helps lower my consumption and if not, maybe it will clean it out a bit?

What do you guys think?

I would add 16 ounces of MMO to your oil, I would also start adding MMO to your gas, hopefully this will clean up.

Your ring packs could be dirty, it may take MMO sometime to work, if you wanted faster results you could try KREEN in your gas and oil.

You might want to PM Trav, he has gotten good results with Kreen.

Park your car on flat ground, take out the spark plugs, and pour about 2-3oz of seafoam in each cylinder. Screw the plugs in part-way and let that marinate for... overnight wouldn't hurt, but at least 3 hours. Then, remove the plugs again and place a rag over the holes. Crank the car over to expel the seafoam. Replace your plugs and go for a fast, high RPM drive. There may some smoke at startup, but this is normal. When you're done, change your oil (recommend a 10W-30 synthetic) and monitor your oil level.

And yes, I've done this with my Honda. As long as you get most of that seafoam out before firing it up again, nothing bad is going to happen.

I really appreciate all the suggestions you guys. Thanks!

As far as trashing the motor goes, I won't be doing that.
There's a lot of time and money in this.
It runs strong, just burns a lot of oil.

I added MMO to my oil and gas yesterday to help clean it out a bit. That stuff smells good.

I'm changing the oil/filter Monday, so I'll be doing what greenaccord02 suggested with the Seafoam piston soak.. Though I'm not really expecting it to magically cure my problem. But, anything helps!

Oh, and the motor is a 1.8 liter 4 cylinder B18C1 from a Integra GS-R
It has Integra Type R pistons and rods, Skunk2 Stage 2 cams and valve train, ported head, intake, header, exhaust, intake manifold, 370 injectors, etc. tuned on Hondata
Made 205 whp and 139wtq last summer. Still smoking... lol

Using Pennzoil 10W-30 and a S2000 filter.

No check the PCV suggestions?

There is also an MMO piston soak that should help free stuck rings. But you need to take out the plugs and pour MMO down the spark plug hole. Let it soak for a few days.

You should do all this soaking and cleaning before you change the oil. Otherwise you quickly contaminate the new oil.

MMO in the oil needs a few OCIs to do any real cleaning. Its not an engine flush.

Last edited:
A history on this engine would be nice,but for starters I'd go with a Seafoam piston soak rotated and re-filled every eight hours to get the rings covered on the pistons that are near TDC.You can do this every weekend for while ,but change the oil if there's too much Seafoam leaking down past the rings as noted on the dipstick.Do a vacuum check if you haven't already,it might be valve seals that are the big culprit here too.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
There may some smoke at startup, but this is normal.

After dark is better, so the neighbors are less likely to complain about the Batman smoke screen.
57.gif

For sure. The first time I seafoamed my truck after I got it ca.160,000mi I had to drive around for almost half an hour before it even started to die down. If you don't get the cops called, it'll be the fire dept.

Of course, that's sucking a half-bottle in through the brake booster... The piston soak isn't so bad. Still, night is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back