Not filling the oil to the top mark (on dipstick)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe 3.9qts is total capacity,3.7 with an oil change and filter. .2qts remains in the motor.

Originally Posted By: QuOk
I believe 3.9qts is total capacity,3.7 with an oil change and filter. .2qts remains in the motor.

Yes they are the quantities that work out about right if you want to fill by the dipstick, but the "official" Toyota service manual still lists 3.9 quarts as the refill (with filter) quantity and 4.1 quarts as the dry fill volume. I agree that the listed 3.9 quarts seems to be just a little bit too much if the dipstick is to be believed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: QuOk
BTW i use just under 3.5 qts.
3 would be too low for me.

Yeah I don't see any problems with using 3.5 quarts, that would get it to just a few mm below the top mark.

BTW. QuOk, Please understand that I'm not saying that I don't believe that what happened to you is true. I do. I'm just saying that almost all dealers overfill about 1/4" (probably going by the 3.9 quart spec) and it doesn't generally seem to cause any problems. Perhaps the Gen1 prius was different or perhaps your case was something of a co-incidence (like a pre-existing dirty throttle body that just chose that time to cause a no-start) I don't know really, just that it shouldn't be due to the correct grade and quantity of oil.

Last edited:
Well others on Priuschat have found the same thing.
Never had a no-start,Triangle of death means it started but the LCD display has a large red triangle symbol meaning something is seriously wrong and to have it serviced right away.Usually it is going to be a dirty throttle body.
Although it could also be alot of other expensive things in the hybrid system.

Keep in mind the 2001-03 is diiferent enough from the newer models to not have the same problems.

I clean the throttle body every oil change now,The PCV dumps
into the bottom of the throttle body.Just a little oily residue usually.PCV is probably original,It is a hassle to replace.

Last edited:
1/2 qt low should show no difference in most cars.

But a smaller engine in a few may indeed show a difference.
And bad design when the crank actually slices through the crankcase oil would most certainly show a benefit.

Oil in the manifold is from the PCV system, and the vapors it passes - this is from blowby of the rings/bores.
. Only if the baffle is poorly designed or faulty would engine oil get in the manifold from being too high..

I use a catch can.

all of my car when filled to max are more latargic and act slower to rev... feel almost strained and working too hard

my best is 3/4 full, 1/4 under max = 1/4 quart short of max!

somehow it also affects how automatics shift... don't really know how

It goes without saying if any car is excessively overfilled, like they warn in tsb, it could lead to problems. I keep mine at full, not excessive. If someone has a problem with too much oil, it isn't at full, it is at excessive. The crankshaft is pressurized with oil and oil is flying all over inside. The crank throws are well above the oil pool at rest, and further away when driving. Last time I saw a pcv it was still on top of the valve cover. If an engine is mechanically OK, the scavenged gases should be normal and the throttle body have a normal service life. My 2 cents.

All Prius from 2001-2009 have the same basic engine btw, even earlier.

Mine came overfilled 1/8" from the factory, not a problem was seen. Most come this way apparently.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
+1 Any level between the Add & Full line is acceptable. Since the crankshaft does not "dip" into the oil unless severely ever filled, that is a non issue. Lots of self-appointed experts will offer advice without ANY data or good references. Just go with the manufactures recommendation unless the manufacture has a TSB concerning oil level. JMO. Ed
Best advice!!!

On a 2001 it is buried and requires removal of wipers and plastic cowl under them.As for same basic engine,The hybrid system is a littl and has different programming.It is the computer determining it doesn't like something that triggers the triangle warning.As for the PCV,My car has over 160,000 miles on it.No blowby but i'm sure it isn't as tight as new.
The majority of 2001-2003's are probably north of 100k miles by now.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Last time I saw a pcv it was still on top of the valve cover. All Prius from 2001-2009 have the same basic engine btw, even earlier.

Just though i would put my two cents in hear, since i work at a toyota dealership.

In the case of the prius, in particular, yes it is a good idea to not over fill.

I've heard that some of the cummins engines in dodge pickups have dipsticks that where manufactured inconsistently. Giving reading that would vary as much as a quart difference form one engine to another.

I always fill just up to the full mark on my own vehicles, but at the dealership i was asked to fill to 7/8 on the dipstick. If the customer request a fill to the full mark then we do so, just like if they request a different tire pressure then spec.

About 80% of oil changes at dealerships are on cars no older than 5 years, and very few (if any) burn oil or leak. Toyota in particular has a "courtesy" multi point inspection, and if we find a leak, we jump on the chance and give you a quote to have it fixed. LOL

EDIT: Not all dealerships work the same.

Last edited:
I think it doesn't matter. my 2006 camry v6 take 5 qt with oil filter.

so I put 5 qt, and oil level is just on the full mark.

people need to read the manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back